Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: BEST PART OF STATE TO LIVE IN
NORTH OF CONCORD 186 58.13%
CONCORD AND SOUTH 134 41.88%
Voters: 320. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 09:46 AM

15 posts, read 93,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA_brnNrsd View Post
OK I didn't read the whole thread but saw some where people are not too fond of the "Mass-a-two-shhhts" I actually never heard of that name for us, but it is different. I am just trying to understand cause I know a lot of states bad mouth us. I currently live in TN and I feel like they aren't fond of the northerners. I know we have been listed as one of the worst drivers next to NY. If someone can fill me in on the reputation we have I would appreciate it. I probably don't see it cause I am from there.

My fiance and I were thinking of where to move in a couple years cause we like it up North better. We were thinking Northern MA or Southern NH but reading this, I dunno anymore lol We definitely don't want to live where we are not welcome.
I grew up in the Northshore of MA and moved to the Seacoast of NH when I was 16 (42 now) I absolutely LOVE this area. Almost moved to the SF area of CA....snobiness and fake smiling back stabbers abound there....here, people say what they mean and are sometimes rude, sometimes very polite... not much of a fakeness here. Also, close to Southern Maine Coast....Maine has great marijuana laws and NH has the worst in the country...pretty much my only NH diss
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 04:53 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by europa7 View Post
If you want to live in a place chock-full of the worst big city attitude, but over two hours from anyplace resembling an actual urban area, please come to Hanover. The only advantage I can think of is that it is almost exactly halfway between Boston and Montreal. However, there are much friendlier towns on both sides of the Connecticut River if one wishes to live between those two cities.
This is so funny. It's true. Hanover is full of poseurs. They hang on the street (the one main street) drinking coffee, posing and acting like they are 'sophisticated' because they live in 'gasp' Hanover.

There is NO REAL shopping here. The Gap? And a bunch of sub par restaurants.

Every time we drive to Hanover (we do this often to go to our library) we see them, posing. Scruffy prof types, pretentious students, all jetting around on cells phones like (bow please) Hanover is the hottest thing in the world.

It's a road. That's it.

I wonder why there is not a better town near an Ivy League university. Lebanon is not much better (not pretentious, just 'nothing special')

I have been treated better in NYC than Hanover, so please do not confuse the two. NYC has many reasons to brag. Hanover, not so much.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:31 PM

3 posts, read 42,851 times
Southern NH is the only bad part of the whole state specifically Manchester and Nashua...Both of their inner-cities have a reputation for gang-violence and drug-traffiking

Old 02-24-2010, 08:35 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,050,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashua101 View Post
Southern NH is the only bad part of the whole state specifically Manchester and Nashua...Both of their inner-cities have a reputation for gang-violence and drug-traffiking
Sources please?

Old 03-01-2010, 06:10 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,071,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCCASparky View Post
Too late. Already happening. Wasn't Lynch one of like four Democrat governors since 1920 or so? IIRC, there have only been 8 Democrat governors (two year terms, remember) since the GOP was formed. Shaheen and King are the only Democrats reelected as governor, but Lynch looks like he's going to win in November.

Oh, just you wait until the Mass-a-two-shhhts people vote in a ton of new taxes, etc...then wonder why everyone is leaving just like they did in MA and the rest of the liberal lands like CA, etc...
whose leaving CA? last i heard,people are moving here in droves! oh,and the fact that most people in CA are from somehwere else...so we rather have the same problem you folks in NH do...native Californians are completely different than the masses who continually come to CA----the growth in the last 3 decades is more than the state can sustain-which is the obvious talking point. Yet,instead,all you hear is 'CA this' and 'CA that'....w/o any reference to the fact that CA is made up of folks from other places these days...first or maybe second generation at most.

Interestingly,though,you almost never hear a CA say 'dont come to CA'-and certainly you will not hear CA blaming it's problems on people from other states...I am originally from MA,though it has been decades since I left. I grew up irish catholic working class. I have also lived in MT where CA gets the blame,along with oregon,same deal...and I find it a bit strange that noone really knows which came first,the chicken or the egg-yet it's too easy to blame MA or CA. Who came to MA and 'made it like it is now',for example? B/C when I grew up there,aside from being politically a kennedy cult,it was full of hard working,large knit italian,irish and jewish families,in large part....something changed,and I will assume it was a combination of economic growth/prosperity and technology,along with migration of folks from other areas,to MA. But,the 'taxes' did not destroy MA. Trust me.
By the same token,you see VT blaming NY for it's issues,and certainly VT had a pretty sturdy tax base to begin with,lol. And oregon,too,blames CA,but had virtually no economy due to shifting industries.

A number of smaller,rural states do blame larger states for natural shifts-the timber industry,just like mining,are never forever. They are always phases-all around the world-in an economy. Instead of adjusting,the local economies go belly up and then blame other states or regions within a state for it's problems.

My point is simply that migration is one factor-a valid factor-but not the only factor in a state's economic and social condition at any given moment.

Colorado is an interesting state that seems to have grown and handled changing industries better than most. Not perfectly,of course,but some success,in my experience. I wish NH the best in creating new industries for folks who choose to reside there,whether it's their home state or not.

My spouse is a native californian-and cannot afford a home. He has never once blamed 'outsiders' or folks from other states,for this fact. I am sure my little post won't change people's views-but really,it warrants consideration-who's blaming whom for what?

Old 03-01-2010, 06:16 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,071,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbyre888 View Post
I grew up in the Northshore of MA and moved to the Seacoast of NH when I was 16 (42 now) I absolutely LOVE this area. Almost moved to the SF area of CA....snobiness and fake smiling back stabbers abound there....here, people say what they mean and are sometimes rude, sometimes very polite... not much of a fakeness here. Also, close to Southern Maine Coast....Maine has great marijuana laws and NH has the worst in the country...pretty much my only NH diss
The south in general does not like 'northerners';it's nothing personal. And not aimed at MA in particular or anything.
Honestly,people wonder what is wrong in the US;i love state sovereignty as much as the next person-but sovereignty does not mean you need to continually dog other states and hold centuries long grudges.
it's ridiculous how much insular regionalism goes on in the US today. I dont think people are paying attention to what is really happening in the world. This reactivism is only denying the reality.

The only state i've ever lived in,where I have never heard it's residents blame others for it's problems,is California. I am originally from MA,btw.

The irony is,California is made of of people from other states,for the most part. growth in the last 30 yrs has gone from what,10 million,to 40 million?

Just go where you want to live-you are a us citizen and you have that right. a few people bi*tching on a forum cannot give you a total indicator of a whole state of people and their attitudes.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:14 PM

44 posts, read 115,806 times
I've only read the first few pages here, but I'm a bit confused about the poll at the top of the page... Concord is in the southern-most part of the state. To separate NH into "North of Concord" and "Concord and South" doesn't make any sense. Almost the entire state is north of Concord. Unless you're actually asking if it's better to live on the border, or to live elsewhere in the state?? I just don't get it. Is this thread just about southern NH?

Old 03-02-2010, 08:55 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,050,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamamm View Post
I've only read the first few pages here, but I'm a bit confused about the poll at the top of the page... Concord is in the southern-most part of the state. To separate NH into "North of Concord" and "Concord and South" doesn't make any sense. Almost the entire state is north of Concord. Unless you're actually asking if it's better to live on the border, or to live elsewhere in the state?? I just don't get it. Is this thread just about southern NH?
Typically, even though Concord is further south, people separate Northern and Southern NH from Concord, because the area north of Concord is different from the area south of Concord in development. Most of the "major" areas, most of the population, and most of the jobs, are south of Concord. Most of the lakes, smaller, quaint towns, and natural wildlife are north of Concord.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:17 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,036 times
Default Exeter Property Taxes Extreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by s01 View Post
That's just sad, and just what I was afraid of...looking at moving there possibly in the Exeter area...after a scouting mission of course..
Exeter's property taxes are unbelievably high. They are high everywhere in NH, but I regret moving here now that the housing market has crashed and I can't sell out. If you're rich, it's pretty, has great schools, and good access to the Seacoast and Manchester via Route 101.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:21 PM

46 posts, read 109,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
Typically, even though Concord is further south, people separate Northern and Southern NH from Concord, because the area north of Concord is different from the area south of Concord in development. Most of the "major" areas, most of the population, and most of the jobs, are south of Concord. Most of the lakes, smaller, quaint towns, and natural wildlife are north of Concord.
But it was my understanding that NH is generally divided by region.
Could the poll have been a bit more effective if it had been divided, not just by north and south, but by region?

I think a question about the comparable preferability of
The White Mountains
vs
The Lakes Region
vs
The Seacoast
vs
The Hanover Region and so on might be informative. At least to me.

I know that's not quite as clean as an up or down vote, but I do wonder about the perception of those regions in the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire