Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2014, 10:43 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,684,215 times

Advertisements

Having lived in both areas for approximately five years each, I'd have to say I'd chose San Diego. Without question. DC is a rat race. In San Diego, you actually have a chance to enjoy your life.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:18 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,578,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
Having lived in both areas for approximately five years each, I'd have to say I'd chose San Diego. Without question. DC is a rat race. In San Diego, you actually have a chance to enjoy your life.
I'm living in San Diego now after my entire life in NoVA. What you said is true. It's pretty fantastic here. 70's and sunny every day and you just have a more laid back atmosphere in general around here and its not all about work. Going surfing tomorrow

Old 01-10-2014, 01:48 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
While NOVA/DC may not offer the hip quotient let alone climate that Greater Los Angeles has, it does offer arguably the most stable, even booming job market in the country (unless digging for South Dakotan oil turns you on. ) If one doesn't work for or with the federal government or maybe in the tech sector out near Dulles, it may be harder to see that.
I really feel sorry for people who think "jobs, jobs, jobs" is a legitimate reason to justify paying dearly for mediocre housing. I live in a much better area in the city proper of Pittsburgh for a fraction of the price I was paying to live in Reston, a sprawling suburb over a half-hour outside the city of DC. From my front door I can walk to almost anything I want. No, jobs aren't as plentiful here as they were in NoVA, but they DO exist.

I'm finding as I mature and age that there are two subsets of people:

1.) I don't care where I live as long as I am gainfully employed. Work is what's most important to me.

2.) I don't care what I do for a living as long as I'm happy with where I live.

Most people I knew when I lived in NoVA were #1 adherents. They also disliked living in NoVA as much as I did, but for them the prospect of a "promising career" was enough to counterbalance that. I knew very few people who both loved NoVA AND loved their jobs. I just can't fathom obsessing over work so much that you don't mind coming home to a place that makes you miserable in your off-hours.

Old 01-10-2014, 02:25 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,576,476 times
I have a job I love. It can't be found anywhere else outside the DC area (and there are MANY jobs that meet that description). I don't want to get into specifics, but there is no other career field I have any interest in.
Why WOULDN'T I be willing to pay higher housing prices for the ability to be happy and feel like I am putting my talents to good use for a majority of my waking hours?

What, you expect me to move somewhere cheaper, take a worse job, be unhappy for 40 plus hours a week, but it should all be worth it because I get to come home to a cheaper apartment? Sorry, no deal.

Don't "feel sorry" for me, SteelCityRising. I enjoy my life. Feel sorry for yourself for apparently being unable to understand how people have different preferences than you.

Last edited by stateofnature; 01-10-2014 at 02:35 PM..

Old 01-10-2014, 02:25 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,265,055 times
I'm finding as I mature and age that there are two subsets of people:

1.) I don't care where I live as long as I am gainfully employed. Work is what's most important to me.

2.) I don't care what I do for a living as long as I'm happy with where I live.

WOW, I've lived here almost my entire life and and no one I know has this mindset. I see that Pittsburgh hasn't changed your narrow view.

Old 01-10-2014, 02:31 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,317,332 times
I agree with the above. I find it rare to come across people on either extreme. I've lived here most of my life and most people crave a work/life balance. I believe that's the case in most places. This area has pros/cons just like everywhere else in the world and isn't for everyone though.

Old 01-10-2014, 03:14 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,383,184 times
I don't think grouping people into "work only" or "location only" categories is a very "mature" perspective. Everyone has different priorities when it comes to work vs. housing costs vs. social interaction vs. a million other factors. It's much more complicated than just assigning people to one of two categories. While many people come to NoVA for work, most find other things to enjoy about this area.

Old 01-10-2014, 03:25 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,245,563 times
Wow. Your views and negative attitude has not changed any considering how long you've been away from VA. Good to see you like Pittsburgh but I also have a job I could never have there, or anywhere else in the country for that matter. You left NOVA yet you just have to come on here and still take jabs.

Old 01-10-2014, 03:50 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,401,275 times
I've never fully understood the approach that going somewhere cheaper is always best. I know so many people if they were to move right now they would be taking a significant pay cut, so yes, being somewhere cheaper is nice in the sense of you have a cheaper rent/mortgage but what's the point if you have now taken this pay cut and have very little money left to save/enjoy after paying your bills? I have a friend in Florida who left NoVA about 2 years ago (for a county that is much cheaper) and she's still trying to dig herself out of the hole she got into taking a pay cut after moving from the area. So in the grand scheme of things, whether you can believe it or not some people are happy living here because doing so allows them to live comfortably. No matter where I go I'm going to have to work so if I am going to work hard and lend my talents somewhere, I want to be able to know that my hard work is being rewarded in the way that it should. It's much bigger than just the money, that's such a one dimensional way to look at it.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:11 PM

159 posts, read 442,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaughanWilliams33 View Post
I found this thread doing a Google search on "Washington D.C. sucks". lol.

I agree with the original poster. I've lived in near Arlington VA for one year now, and I decided I've had enough. People are indeed rude, pushy, always in hurry, rushing, honking, going ape**** when an inch of snow is predicted in the forecast. People also just take themselves and life too seriously.

I've never lived anywhere previously where people honk at you when you are WALKING through a CROSSWALK. I mean Jesus Christ, how do parents raise their children in this area? I've lived in California and Texas, as well as the midwest, and nobody in those states is anywhere near as rude. Texas sucks for other reasons though (never going back there).

Also, people freak out and buy ALL the food at the grocery store any time there is the slightest chance of snow, as if the world is going to end. Again, why are people crazy here?

But the worst thing, and biggest complaint I have is that this place is just super overpriced. It costs MORE to live in the Washington DC area than it does to live in Los Angeles. There is something majorly wrong with this fact. There are lots of lovely areas in the LA area like Burbank, Los Feliz, Culver City, Sherman Oaks, etc, where you actually can find a one bedroom or 1,000 or less. That is impossible to find here, and you just feel like you don't get what you're paying for. There is nothing attractive about DC that would make a nice, balanced person want to live here. If you're constantly in a hurry, totally self-absorbed, constantly agitated and angry, then DC is perfect for you.

Thank God I'm moving back to California soon, where my high rent (less than DC rent) actually is worth it.
I agree. Its the worst place I've ever lived too. I wonder if there is even a worse place in America to live. I hate the DC Metro area with a passion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia