Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2014, 12:18 PM

494 posts, read 1,191,951 times

Advertisements

If you can get over the initial hurdle of rent/mortgage, this is a great place to live. A lot of free events, easy travel to urban (philly/nyc) locales or southern spots, variety of cuisines, tolerant atmosphere, weather (except for 2 weeks in August, lol)...Plus, plenty of Cowboys fans

Old 05-06-2014, 07:17 PM

6 posts, read 11,971 times
I've only been living in DC for about a year, but I honestly can't believe anyone wants to live here.

The rude, self-centered, pretentiousness of people around this city amazes me.

I really am trying to give this place a fair chance, and I think there are plenty of nice people here, but my goodness, is it hard. I'd be lying if I didn't say that I can't wait to get out of here.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:41 PM

1,630 posts, read 2,360,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ah8176 View Post
I've only been living in DC for about a year, but I honestly can't believe anyone wants to live here.

The rude, self-centered, pretentiousness of people around this city amazes me.

I really am trying to give this place a fair chance, and I think there are plenty of nice people here, but my goodness, is it hard. I'd be lying if I didn't say that I can't wait to get out of here.

If you moved from somewhere in small-town America, then yes, you're in for a rude shock (pardon the pun please).

It's just a different way of life in one of the most thriving metropolitan areas in the US.

But more importantly, either youve had bad luck in meeting/dealing with people or you are exaggerating things a bit.

Old 05-07-2014, 02:46 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,245,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK12 View Post
If you moved from somewhere in small-town America, then yes, you're in for a rude shock (pardon the pun please).

It's just a different way of life in one of the most thriving metropolitan areas in the US.

But more importantly, either youve had bad luck in meeting/dealing with people or you are exaggerating things a bit.

This.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:28 AM

1,784 posts, read 3,459,830 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
This.
And/or confirmation bias run amok.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:33 AM

2,501 posts, read 3,406,007 times
Quote:

But even more importantly, this thread allows people who are not enamored of the NoVA/DC area to express their opinions and experiences. The responses of those who dismiss negative posts or the posters themselves as having "bad luck in meeting/dealing with people or exaggerating things a bit" demonstrate the reason why some people are not happy living in NoVA/DC. A few posters here harbor an intense intolerance for any experiences or observations that are less than flattering of the area and claim that the person who doesn't care for DC must be the problem--not the fabulous, thriving, and tolerant DC metro.

Criticizing/dismissing rural communities and the people who live in them, however, seems to always be in fashion in NoVA/DC.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:01 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,317,332 times
I don't think he was dismissing or criticizing rural areas. It's just a fact major metro areas are vastly different than rural areas and people moving here are probably in for a culture shock. Some may adapt and some may hate it and eventually leave. My in-laws have lived in small town North Carolina for like 30 years, and they say they would never live in Nova. If they had ever been forced to because of a job or other circumstances they would've hated it. Doesn't mean Nova or small towns suck, they're just very different. I feel the opposite that they do, that I've grown up here and I think I'd very much dislike living in a very small town. Different strokes for different folks.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:50 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,383,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
A few posters here harbor an intense intolerance for any experiences or observations that are less than flattering of the area and claim that the person who doesn't care for DC must be the problem--not the fabulous, thriving, and tolerant DC metro.
But that's the case for people living just about anywhere in America. Unless you live in a place that is actually unsafe, it is always the person's problem rather than the area's. A place can't make you miserable- only you can make you miserable. You can blame it on the place all you want, but in the end, it's you that makes the choice to remain unhappy with something rather than change it.

These vent threads are completely un-constructive and just cause people who do like the area to say "Don't let the door hit you on the way out". The people venting in this thread about "blowing this joint" are very different from the people who honestly want to help themselves and post questions about HOW to meet people or HOW to avoid the traffic or HOW to find a lower cost of living.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:00 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,530,453 times
It is a East v West coast and rural v urban thing: people in the big northeast cities are douches, myself included.

Having said that, i have lived in the mid atlantic all my life and I will never get used to this terrible weather of -10 in winter and 110 in summer. This wouldnt be such an issue if my daily commute didn't include 2 miles of walking a day.

Maybe im crazy, but i'd take 60 and rainy everyday over this.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:04 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,530,453 times
You also have to know where to hang out. If you want stuck up preppies, go to Dupont, Foggy Bottom, and Georgetown. If you want to meet people with a personality, go to Adams Morgan, H Street, or Columbia Heights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia