Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2008, 09:01 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,676,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubbltunman View Post
If the U.S. loses Israel as an ally, I could think of no better scenario! 80% of our problems in the middle east is the backing of Israhell and our foreign policies. Terrorism? The middle eastern countries had no problem with the U.S. until we backed Israel, and implemented our horrid "imperial" foreign policies on to them.
"Israhell" That's very clever. If you think that the "middle eastern countries" had no problem with the U.S. until we supported Israel in 1948, simply google "barbary pirates." The stupidity, ignorance and hate one can find on forums such as these will never cease to amaze.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 09:05 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,676,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubbltunman View Post
Somehow I think the Palestinians would disagree. With the help of U.S. taxpayer dollars I might add.

WHO IS WIPING WHO OFF THE MAP?

[CENTER]
I do not agree that the dog in a manger has the final right to the manger even though he may have lain there for a very long time. I do not admit that right. I do not admit for instance, that a great wrong has been done to the Red Indians of America or the black people of Australia. I do not admit that a wrong has been done to these people by the fact that a stronger race, a higher-grade race, a more worldly wise race to put it that way, has come in and taken their place.

... Winston Churchill to the Palestine Royal Commission (1937)

[/CENTER]

The funny thing about thses maps is the 1945 one that neglects to include the whole of "Palestine" which is the Palestinian Mandate. The country now knows as Jordan (Trans-Jordan after 1948 because the Hashemites did not want to claim responsibility for the Palestinian Arabs west of the Jordan River) was part of the Mandate, yet the map the poster provides does not include it.

Hilarious.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:15 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
The funny thing about thses maps is the 1945 one that neglects to include the whole of "Palestine" which is the Palestinian Mandate. The country now knows as Jordan (Trans-Jordan after 1948 because the Hashemites did not want to claim responsibility for the Palestinian Arabs west of the Jordan River) was part of the Mandate, yet the map the poster provides does not include it.

Hilarious.
Part of the reason I listed area by country, wanted to establish a flexible baseline. Amazing how much land outside of Israel, but all of the discussion...

BTW, Jordan is 4.5X size of Israel.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:23 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
They just now agreed to talks and they went no where with what was called gibberish if I remember correctly from the representative.
IAEA has been in Iran for roughly five years. They monitor 100% of the nuclear material. As the result of Iranian compliance and disclosure, they are satisfied that they fully understand each aspect of Iran's program save one, the so-called alleged studies. It is to cover that topic that, at Iran's invitation, the current talks are convened. The allegations are based on a series of unverifiable electronic files supplied to the UNSC by the US and reportedly others. The files bear none of the typical stamps or other official markings of Iran. They suggest past involvement by elements of the Iranian military and some studies of weaponization techniques that Iran has not previously disclosed. The US position is that Iran must disprove the content of the memos, rather than that the US must establish it. The Iranian position is that the studies did not occur. The IAEA position is that only full transparency on the part of Iran can resolve the matter, but that those who have provided the files should also provide for their verification. Given this administration's history of fabrication, it is entirely possible that the files are frauds. Given a potential for Iran's incentive to do so, it is entirely possible that the studies occurred and were not disclosed. We will see what these meetings eventually reveal.

Quote:
How come they have so many sanctions if they are complying?
The US continues to insist that there are unresolved issues that Iran has not addressed. The UNSC is also not happy that Iran has scrapped the requested halt in enrichment activities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
How come they have two weeks to come back with a real answer.
That is the time frame for the next meeting.

Quote:
I suggest you get a little more ind depth when reading things from official agencies.
I'll try to keep that in mind. Perhaps you should as well.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Sounds like you are in as much denial as they are. They have been offered the option of having nuclear energy without uranium enrichment and they have absolutely rejected it. We will soon see if they are madmen or not.
Can you cite the date and venue for this rejection? Iran has only said that it will in no case give up the right of enrichment that it enjoys under the NNPT.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:34 PM

Quote:
No your right they haven't......they haven't been allowed to inspect.....just like Iraq did before that war.
Inspectors were all over Iraq for crying out loud, and per the above, IAEA has been in Iran since 2003.

Quote:
They do have rights to have nuclear power.....once they comply like everyone else.
As has been pointed out at least once, "like everyone else" simply dioes not apply.

Quote:
And all the oil they have they can't use because they have no refineries. They have to buy the oil from a country that does....but they do have oil.
Oil at the moment is their only significant viable export. Every drop that they either consume directly or swap out for refined products is a drain on funds available for much-needed economic development.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:36 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
IAEA has been in Iran for roughly five years. They monitor 100% of the nuclear material. As the result of Iranian compliance and disclosure, they are satisfied that they fully understand each aspect of Iran's program save one, the so-called alleged studies. It is to cover that topic that, at Iran's invitation, the current talks are convened. The allegations are based on a series of unverifiable electronic files supplied to the UNSC by the US and reportedly others. The files bear none of the typical stamps or other official markings of Iran. They suggest past involvement by elements of the Iranian military and some studies of weaponization techniques that Iran has not previously disclosed. The US position is that Iran must disprove the content of the memos, rather than that the US must establish it. The Iranian position is that the studies did not occur. The IAEA position is that only full transparency on the part of Iran can resolve the matter, but that those who have provided the files should also provide for their verification. Given this administration's history of fabrication, it is entirely possible that the files are frauds. Given a potential for Iran's incentive to do so, it is entirely possible that the studies occurred and were not disclosed. We will see what these meetings eventually reveal.
You seem to act like the UNSC is only us. There are 6 other members we know two don't normally agree with us ever (Russia, China). yes we will see in two weeks...If they decide to cooperate then sanctions would be lifted and nuclear material supplied. if not...more sanctions will be added.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von Costume View Post
I think this guy plainly has an agenda...
Yeah, Baron, I do. It's that if people are going to hold opinions on global issues, those should be based on something that at least reasonably approximates the available facts of the matter, not merely on endless repetitions of administration propaganda. One would think that the past six years would have served to underscore that point. Apparently not in the minds of some...

Old 07-22-2008, 09:48 PM

Quote:
saganista do you not believe that religions are the root cause of evil or the people that believe in them are irrational? I thought I heard you say that one time....I very well could be mistaken.
You are probably mistaken. I may have used all those words, perhaps within the same sentence, but not in that order. Religion is neither necessary nor sufficient for either morality or immorality. Faith-based beliefs are by defintion non-rational, a need for distinguishing between non-rational and irrational being not in every case evident...

Old 07-22-2008, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Sag, at some point there are bad guys out there, including our friend in Iran.
Good, bad...it doesn't matter. You deal with who you can when you can, and who you have to when you have to. Bushie has done nothing but make it nigh impossible to work with anyone anytime. This is how we have become essentially hated almost universally around the globe. Dozens of opportunities lost. Defeat snatched from the jaws of victory. These are the wages of electing dogmatic bumblers into positions of responsibility...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies