Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2009, 02:39 PM

1,513 posts, read 1,624,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Yeah, I'm done, too.
I won't be reading him any more.
I'm shattered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by effie briest View Post

Who are you?

Old 02-16-2009, 02:13 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
You may not be shattered, but you have proven yourself to be a jerk time and again in this thread.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:45 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,700,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigetmax24 View Post
Everyone has a world view.

All world views require faith.

Can it then be fairly stated that everyone is, at least in the very basic definition, religious?
If a lack of religion counts then yes.

I don't feel the need to calculate in mythology into real life issues.

Old 02-16-2009, 05:54 PM

26 posts, read 97,120 times
Everyone has a right to their own opinions. Telling people there is no God and all religion is wrong is not any better than people of one religion telling people of another religion that they are wrong. It's just another form of "separation by belief".

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Who has done that?
I am asserting that I don’t believe in your god thing.
Where have I, or anyone here, stated what YOU can believe?
This is why it’s so difficult, nay impossible, to discuss with the religious.
They don’t accept a point of view other than their own.
How did you get I'm religious from that? I do believe in God and higher powers but am not affiliated with any religion. And yes people have done that on this thread, and do all the time. I hate to burst the liberated bubble but there are closed minded people on the athiest's side as well. All I am saying is that people who insist there is no god and that people are gullible for believing in one isn't any more open-minded than someone who is exclusively religious. It's the opposite side of the same coin.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:45 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,144,066 times
Quote:
Everyone has a world view.

All world views require faith.

Can it then be fairly stated that everyone is, at least in the very basic definition, religious?
I don't believe so. I believe as a whole we expect the world to have common decency and a basic belief system that we can coexist without killing each other and maybe get along. When religious beliefs come into play thats what actually screws that up.It's kind of like stereotypes. If I believed everyone of color was going to commit a crime; kind of like the way religious books are absolute then I would stick to this belief. I am intelligent enough to judge everyone by when I meet them and whether they are of color,or white , or anything else I give them the respect they deserve because there are good and bad people no matter what so faith and religiousness in everyone---I don't believe it.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:30 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,718,056 times
I agree with DimSumRaja. I see spirituality as a state of being in the world but religion is a set of beliefs about rituals.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:11 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,015,894 times
There is a difference between faith and religion. Faith is simply believing in something despite the fact there is no evidence to support it being true. While faith is part of religion, it doesn't mean that someone who has faith is religious. Religion requires a set doctrine, philosophy and moral code. Atheism also doesn't even require faith, disbelief in a claim which has no evidence doesn't require faith.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
There is a difference between faith and religion. Faith is simply believing in something despite the fact there is no evidence to support it being true. While faith is part of religion, it doesn't mean that someone who has faith is religious. Religion requires a set doctrine, philosophy and moral code. Atheism also doesn't even require faith, disbelief in a claim which has no evidence doesn't require faith.
I've conversed with MANY self termed Atheists that most definitely hold to strict doctrines, philosophy and moral codes. Of course, few had the honesty to admit it. Take a look at the environmental (man-made global warming) crowd. All the tenets of religion are there.

I could not disagree more concerning atheism not requiring faith. In fact, it takes much more faith to be an atheist than pretty much any other belief or religion in existence today. To say that you disbelieve in God is simply another way of saying (semantics) that you believe in God's non-existence. It involves a choice. If you have kept up with the thread, we discussed this as well as the fact that it is impossible to prove negative assertions. It does indeed require faith in order to choose to believe a negative assertion such as "there is no God."

Old 02-19-2009, 06:28 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,015,894 times
[quote]
Quote:
I've conversed with MANY self termed Atheists that most definitely hold to strict doctrines, philosophy and moral codes. Of course, few had the honesty to admit it. Take a look at the environmental (man-made global warming) crowd. All the tenets of religion are there.

I could not disagree more concerning atheism not requiring faith. In fact, it takes much more faith to be an atheist than pretty much any other belief or religion in existence today. To say that you disbelieve in God is simply another way of saying (semantics) that you believe in God's non-existence. It involves a choice. If you have kept up with the thread, we discussed this as well as the fact that it is impossible to prove negative assertions. It does indeed require faith in order to choose to believe a negative assertion such as "there is no God."
Individual atheists hold doctrines, philosophy and moral codes, although atheism doesn't offer any of those things. You don't seem to know what atheism actually is. Most atheists adopt the weak atheist position which says that there is no compelling evidence that proves there is a god so there's no reason to believe it exists. It takes no faith to say that you don't believe in something which there is no evidence for. It doesn't require faith to say that there are no invisible pink elephants in the back of your car if there is no evidence that proves they exist, likewise it does not require faith to say that it is irrational to postulate that god exists when there is no evidence for its existence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality