Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2015, 06:44 AM

971 posts, read 1,454,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
Thank you for writing that. I was starting to wonder if someone would write about it. I have watched a lot of PBS and some of the programs are horrendous. I know younger people today really don't want to think about it..... oh that happened a long time ago...... but I fear it can (will?) happen again and then the joke is over.
But that JOKE will most likely be on us in the U.S.A. JMO

Old 07-13-2015, 06:46 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,115,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluff_Dweller View Post
But that JOKE will most likely be on us in the U.S.A. JMO

Yes, that is exactly what I am thinking.

Old 07-13-2015, 11:16 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,948,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I think that the problem is that many young people know nothing about the Second World War and the Nazis. I was born in 1953, and had relatives who fought in that war, so I grew up, well, just knowing about it.

There was a programme on the telly when I was a kid called 'All Our Yesterdays.' It literally in each weekly show described the war events that took place during the previous week twenty years before. Even 40 years ago, there was a fascinating series called 'World at War' narrated by Laurence Oliver. This was all prime time tv, when there were few channels.

So, we all back then had good knowledge of the war, and the terrible events. I would imagine many young people today couldn't even tell you what decade the war was fought in. It is what it is sadly. It is a long time ago, and like you say, to some people everything is a joke.
English Dave,

My Dad spent part of WW2 in England, training there as a US soldier. He arrived on the beaches of Normandy not on D-Day, but two days later. I remember him telling me about meeting a gentleman he greatly admired and held in the highest esteem: a "Lord Dugdale."

From 1994 - 1998 I myself served in the Royal Merchant Navy as an employee of the famous passenger ship company Cunard. My homeport was Southampton, Hants.

Old 07-13-2015, 11:47 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,432,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
English Dave,

My Dad spent part of WW2 in England, training there as a US soldier. He arrived on the beaches of Normandy not on D-Day, but two days later. I remember him telling me about meeting a gentleman he greatly admired and held in the highest esteem: a "Lord Dugdale."

From 1994 - 1998 I myself served in the Royal Merchant Navy as an employee of the famous passenger ship company Cunard. My homeport was Southampton, Hants.
My dad was born in 1932, so too young to fight in the war. But his brother was at Dunkirk in 1940, and was captured and kept prisoner for five years.

My grandmother grew very fond of the young American soldiers she met, and would invite them in for a cup of tea, and something to eat. She didn't have much with rationing, but made them a sandwich. She would listen to them talking of home, some weeping for their mothers. They were only kids really. They would give my dad chewing gum, and teach him American slang.

She used to talk to me about those young soldiers 20 years later. She wondered if they made it home. Some probably didn't.

I did my army training only 40 miles from Southampton in Farnborough. Small world huh?

Old 07-13-2015, 12:12 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,665,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
Got my new laptop. It's a Toshiba with Windows 8. Was a little flustered at first. Now getting the hang of it.
This is what I have. It is my first new computer. It seems to be too slow for scrabble....... but that may be a good thing.

(It's boogie'smom here. I've given up trying to get back in with my old name)

Old 07-13-2015, 12:15 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,022,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post
This is what I have. It is my first new computer. It seems to be too slow for scrabble....... but that may be a good thing.

(It's boogie'smom here. I've given up trying to get back in with my old name)
Hah! Funny - I was just thinking about people that seemed to have vanished from CD and thought of you - welcome back.

Old 07-13-2015, 03:27 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,767,554 times
Boogie, you can send a message to one of the mods to get you back in. They are really nice. PJSinger comes to mind, and of course we have in_newengland here.

My dad was a WWII nut and so was DH at one time. I read a lot about it when I was young. One novel about two Jewish girls hiding in the attic of a gentile family fascinated me, I read over and over as a teen.

My great uncle was an army medic and was also at Normandy I donated his mess kit and canteen to a local historical museum.

Old 07-14-2015, 12:05 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,432,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post

My dad was a WWII nut and so was DH at one time. I read a lot about it when I was young. One novel about two Jewish girls hiding in the attic of a gentile family fascinated me, I read over and over as a teen.

My great uncle was an army medic and was also at Normandy I donated his mess kit and canteen to a local historical museum.
I think that book was called 'Flowers in the Attic'. Not sure......... my wife's dad was out in Africa fighting the Germans in 1941. I asked him once what it was like. "Hot" he said..........

Old 07-14-2015, 12:42 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,536,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I think that book was called 'Flowers in the Attic'. Not sure......... my wife's dad was out in Africa fighting the Germans in 1941. I asked him once what it was like. "Hot" he said..........
Can't speak re the UK but in the US, "Flowers in the Attic" is a famous (infamous) and florid gothic novel, the first in a series, about adolescent incest in an attic, and nothing at all to do with WWII.

Old 07-14-2015, 01:07 AM

7,046 posts, read 6,300,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Can't speak re the UK but in the US, "Flowers in the Attic" is a famous (infamous) and florid gothic novel, the first in a series, about adolescent incest in an attic, and nothing at all to do with WWII.
???zWhat does this referebce to? I'm lost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement