Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2017, 07:06 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times

Advertisements

Nice warm day today, got up to 65 degrees so I dug two rows in the garden and planted 200 onion sets. Forecast is for temps in the 70's this week and lows in the 40's. I don't have a tiller so I will work on the garden with my shovel and hoe this week as my back lets me. Not as big as I usually have, only 20x40 this summer.

All the relatives are back to their respective states and things have, more or less, returned to normal. Well, as normal as it can be here. I grilled a huge rib eye steak for me this evening as a reward.

Old 05-21-2017, 07:54 PM

5,581 posts, read 6,510,564 times
Glad you were happy with your company and now that you are alone again, back to your normal routine. Enjoy the weather and your steak!

Old 05-21-2017, 11:47 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Jim, that sounds like perfect weather. Nice work on the onion sets. We had three consectutive miserable days of around 95 with high humidity and it broke records for the month on May. Now it's cooled down beautifully. Jeanji, I would love to know the recipe for that ginger and tumeric drink that sound so refreshing. Do you make it from fresh ginger?

Old 05-22-2017, 08:37 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
Glad you were happy with your company and now that you are alone again, back to your normal routine. Enjoy the weather and your steak!
Steak was great! And they didn't stay with me, I live in a small trailer in the desert 20 minutes from the nearest city. NO ONE ever visits or stays here. Everyone stayed at my older sisters 4000 sq ft ranch. I did have fun taking them to the mountains, trout fishing and watching them gasp for air at 11,000 feet.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:05 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,757,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Jim, that sounds like perfect weather. Nice work on the onion sets. We had three consectutive miserable days of around 95 with high humidity and it broke records for the month on May. Now it's cooled down beautifully. Jeanji, I would love to know the recipe for that ginger and tumeric drink that sound so refreshing. Do you make it from fresh ginger?
I used both fresh turmeric and ginger. Watch out for getting fresh tumeric on things, that yellow will stain anything and everything.
Here's the recipe I used. I did not mix the sparkling water and syrup in a pitcher, I make individual glasses and can control how strong I like it.
Scroll and scroll down some more for the recipe, I really dislike chatty recipe bloggers.
http://brooklynsupper.com/turmeric-ginger-lemonade/

I did come across some recipes that used dried tumeric and ginger, they are out there.

Last edited by in_newengland; 05-22-2017 at 12:56 PM..

Old 05-22-2017, 10:39 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,113,548 times
^^^^^^^^ Sounded so good I copied this.

Thank you for sharing the site.

Old 05-22-2017, 12:13 PM

2,864 posts, read 1,809,208 times
Candied ginger my Mom always enjoyed; she would purchase it from See's Chocolate, throw away the dark chocolate, just eat the ginger !

Candied ginger is sold in bulk at a local store, good for upset stomachs. Ginger, covered with dark chocolate is addictive Though ginger again, is good for the tummy and Dark chocolate for the heart !

After church, wrote snail mail letters; do you enjoy receiving handwritten letters/write handwritten letters; also texted
my brother who lives in OK. His 1st granddaughter is graduating from high school; we reminisced about our graduations. We enjoy sharing what we remember as no one seems in the family cares to hear about them. Bless with a caring brother!

Old 05-22-2017, 12:59 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
I used both fresh turmeric and ginger. Watch out for getting fresh tumeric on things, that yellow will stain anything and everything.
Here's the recipe I used. I did not mix the sparkling water and syrup in a pitcher, I make individual glasses and can control how strong I like it.
Scroll and scroll down some more for the recipe, I really dislike chatty recipe bloggers.
http://brooklynsupper.com/turmeric-ginger-lemonade/

I did come across some recipes that used dried tumeric and ginger, they are out there.
Thanks! Copying it for future reference. Now it's turned very cold again but it will be a good recipe to have on hand when the heat returns.

Old 05-22-2017, 02:08 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sera View Post

Candied ginger is sold in bulk at a local store, good for upset stomachs. Ginger, covered with dark chocolate is addictive Though ginger again, is good for the tummy and Dark chocolate for the heart !
Yes ginger is good for digestion. I like the little pieces of crystallized ginger after a meal.

I have learned to appreciate and prefer dark chocolate ... when I was a kid I liked milk chocolate, but one's tastes change after we grow up. The same way wine, caviar, Scotch, certain cheeses, etc. are an acquired taste.

Old 05-23-2017, 02:25 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
This past weekend I finally met my first City-Data.Com friend in person and in the flesh!

Pittston2Sarasota is a long time contributor to City-Data, but hasn't posted anything these last few months. His hometown is the pretty town of Pittston, which is in the middle of the Wyoming Valley on the Susquehanna River, half-way between Scranton and Wilkes-Barre. He moved down to Sarasota, Florida, for several years and tried very hard to like it, but made the decision recently to move back to his home town. Since I was visiting a friend in Wilkes-Barre arrangements was made to visit him.

We had the most delightful meeting. He gave me the grand tour of his rather large home, I met his life partner (they were together for many years), his two cats, and we sat on his porch which afforded spectacular views of the town, the river valley, the nearby mountain ranges and the gap between the mountains. You see, his house is perched high on a hill, in the middle of the Appalachian range. Pittston is in the anthracite coal region; but unlike other coal towns it has gone through "gentrification" and revitalization ... it has the prettiest of walkable downtown areas with many Victorian shop-fronts, upscale restaurants, pubs, flowers in containers and baskets, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement