Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2018, 09:17 AM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,666,603 times

Advertisements

Cary should be far enough inland that it won't get the impact like along the coast. They will get lots of rain and some tropical storm force winds. I would guess that localized flooding and some downed trees would be the biggest problem there.

Old 09-11-2018, 09:20 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,116,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Carey should be far enough inland that it won't get the impact like along the coast. They will get lots of rain and some tropical storm force winds. I would guess that localized flooding and some downed trees would be the biggest problem there.

Thank you JRR. Before moving to Carey with husband and kids, she lived close to Fort Lauderdale. So I am guessing it's nothing really new for her. But I still worry a little bit.

Old 09-11-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauradrops View Post
Assuming you mean Cary, no it's not evacuating. We are expecting a lot of rain though.

Yes, Cary. Thanks for sharing the info.

Old 09-11-2018, 09:34 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,053,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I have some relatives in Carey, NC. Are they evacuating from there?
No we are in the Triangle not all that far from Cary. My son is closer. We could get hammered here as we did during Matthew. It was a surprise the damage inland and less than at the coast. That is the fear this time. Areas of the Triangle will get more rain than the coast. The fear is the storm will come in and then sit right on top of us and that could yield 30 inches of localized rain. The chances of prolong power outages is high.

Old 09-11-2018, 09:34 AM
JRR

I certainly feel sympathy for those who are going to be in the middle of this. In 2004 the eye of hurricane Charley came right over us in the Orlando area. We got 100 mph+gusts and even worse, it came through at night. Power goes off and all you can do is sit with the emergency lights and hear the wind howl outside and things crashing. It was eerie when the eye came over. Wind just stopped on a dime and I stepped out on the front porch and could see some stars in the clear sky. Then after a few minutes, here comes the wind again.

No damage to my house, but a 80 ft pine tree in my back yard went down right between the two houses in back of me. Pine needles brushing both houses but the only damage was to my fence when it fell. We were lucky, one neighbor had a tree come right down on their car in the driveway; flattened it like a bug. Tons of trees down everywhere and lots of roofs damaged.

Old 09-11-2018, 09:41 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,053,820 times
For us there is a blessing in all of this. We were scheduled to have a major screen porch renovation project along with new deck to be done. Rain delayed and delayed projects ahead of us and finally the contractor was ready to begin next week barring some unforeseen happening like a Florence. While this will probably delay it again we can feel blessed that the hurricane is coming before it began and completion. It will have a fireplace with a tv above it etc and that new in a hurricane would be a curse. However we now feel blessed that it wasn't started.

So much of life is perspective and at this age of life being alive and comfortable is the biggest blessing we could want. We know others who have passed who have families that would welcome being able to ride out a storm with them.

My best friend is gone and I will miss not having him call a couple of times a day to check on us.

Old 09-11-2018, 09:53 AM
JRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
No we are in the Triangle not all that far from Cary. My son is closer. We could get hammered here as we did during Matthew. It was a surprise the damage inland and less than at the coast. That is the fear this time. Areas of the Triangle will get more rain than the coast. The fear is the storm will come in and then sit right on top of us and that could yield 30 inches of localized rain. The chances of prolong power outages is high.
It is going to be interesting to see how this storm goes once it comes ashore. Models are all over the place. One has it just wandering around North/South Carolina for two days and then going back out into the Atlantic. Another has it going all the way to the NC/TN mountains and then coming back out. And one has it sitting in the sound between the mainland and the outer banks for two days before finally going inland.

No matter what, it is going to be a wet few days coming up for you.

Old 09-11-2018, 12:39 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,686,982 times
Sending best wishes and prayers to everyone in the storm's path.

I remember during the (3) 2004 hurricanes in Orlando that it was the aftermath of the storms, rather than during the storms, that caused all the discomfort. Living with flooding, no electricity, running out of food, no garbage collection, no gas, tons of mosquitoes, and displaced wildlife for the 10 days it took to even begin to get things normalized was miserable. And then there was all the looting, the scams, and the difficulty and length of time it took getting our homes repaired that added to the frustration.

Old 09-11-2018, 12:45 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,880,620 times
Today being 9/11...I was thinking about that day in 2001. I was on duty, we got a "call dispatch immediately" message and was put on tactical alert and 12 hour shifts. I was in northwest Arkansas (home to the largest retailer, trucking firm, poultry producer, and top research University in the world), the feeling was just surreal seeing uniformed US Marshals on the federal courthouse with automatic rifles, gas at $6.00 a gallon with long lines, stores full, and the only aircraft flying was fighter jets patrolling the area. For a time no one knew what to expect, and we all expected the worse. I had a friend on NYPD that day...had.

To the victims, survivors and to the families of that day, my heartfelt prayers and thoughts.

Old 09-11-2018, 01:25 PM

jim9251: I am very sorry for your loss of your friend on that horrifying day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement