Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2019, 09:32 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
Wow, Deelighted, you are getting snow way down there in Cochise County? This storm really is massive! Hubby and I just walked to Walgreen's -- it looked like it was safe enough, not about to rain....well, we had to stand in line at the Pharmacy and by the time we walked out the front door of Walgreen's it was pouring. Fortunately, we had a big umbrella with us so we walked home "Under the Big Umbrella" just like Jo and Professor March in Little Women!!! We do not get to do this very often in Arizona!

Maybe my memory is bad but I honestly can't remember a storm that covered so much of the state at the same time. Snow and floods where you'd least expect them!

Old 02-23-2019, 10:38 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
After we got about another 16” of wet snow here Wednesday night through Friday morning, I gave up and managed to find a backhoe operator. He did the section of “public” road to our house that the county does not maintain, plus our large driveway area. Took 2 hrs, most of which was driveway. Did a great job. Expensive, but since we almost always clear the snow ourselves, all those times we DON’T hire a plow more than make up for the cost.

And then another inch fell overnight. I ain’t shoveling it, grrrr.

27 hrs of shoveling in 7 consecutive days, most I have ever shoveled. Would have been halved if DH had been in town. He returns now, AFTER the work was done.

Last edited by pikabike; 02-23-2019 at 11:14 AM..

Old 02-23-2019, 11:10 AM

7,044 posts, read 6,295,966 times
I'm waiting for the rest of the snow to melt off my car before I venture out. Who would have guessed you need a windshield scraper in Arizona?

On another note, my sister left on Wednesday to go back to Minnesota. She did well until yesterday afternoon when a giant snowstorm hit near the North Dakota border. Visibility was very poor and a slew of cars followed a large truck. One idiot, there always has to be one, decided they weren't going fast enough and started passing in the other lane. They came upon the car turned upside down in the ditch a few miles up the road.

No one could stop because of the conditions. Eventually the truck led them off the freeway to a motel. She was still shaken up when I talked to her. What normally takes maybe an hour took three, just to see well enough to get off the road.

I remember when I was younger driving in whiteout conditions. Not fun. I'm just glad she got somewhere safely. She only has 70 miles to go and should make it home today.

Old 02-23-2019, 11:23 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,063,850 times
We had 20+ inches in Prescott and I worried about the roof on my sun room. Tried to go out there with a long piece of lumber but didn't get very much off. Have not gone out of the house in the car since Wednesday. Cabin fever is starting to get to me. The dog has not gone poopie for 3 days ! He has peed though. Today the sun is out, the sky is blue and it's beginning to melt a tiny bit. The worst is over !

Old 02-23-2019, 07:55 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Here in CT we barely had a winter. Looks like we gave it to the rest of you, sorry for that.

There is still snow out there, the ugly dead and frozen kind, piled up until someday it will melt.

Little bits of green things are starting to come up from the earth. Little daffodils, I think, and whatever else survived.

Old 02-23-2019, 07:58 PM

3,546 posts, read 3,115,713 times
Down my way, it's been rain, rain, and more rain. Guess we'll really look green for St. Paddy's day this year. Even the bricks on my front porch are starting to look a little green, LOL.

Old 02-23-2019, 09:14 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,021,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I'm surprised we got as little snow as we did here. Sedona got at least a foot and we got about 6 inches. Seems like different parts of town got different depths too. Couldn't see Mingus Mtn. or Sedona for a couple of days. We've had a LOT of flooding up here and now, when the snow melts, it's likely to get worse.

So many people in AZ are 'transplants' from snow country you'd think they would remember how to drive in it!
They don't remember year to year how to drive in it. It's crazy how many crashes there are when that first snow hits.

Old 02-23-2019, 10:31 PM

1,482 posts, read 1,379,197 times
It's a blizzard here. We had freezing rain last night. My son fell off his porch last night letting his dogs out. He's fine, just a little sore

Old 02-24-2019, 09:58 AM

812 posts, read 795,562 times
Our storm total snow was just under a foot. I really couldn't believe we got that much! The most we've ever gotten before was about 6" and I've lived here 26 years.

It was amazing and fun to see that much snow. My puppy had a blast in it. Took him forever to do his business though and he wanted to keep going back out to play all day long! It brought back memories of the time I lived in Michigan's U.P.

Quite a bit melted yesterday, but not enough yet. I really hate is how it ices up at night. Makes it very scary to take the dog out. Falling on ice is the last thing we normally have to worry about! I'm really hoping most of the rest melts off today. It is supposed to be around 50 degrees, so we'll see.

I'm still marveling we actually got that much. So many times these forecasted giant storms turn out to be a dud. They were right with this one though!

Old 02-24-2019, 10:22 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuglf View Post
Our storm total snow was just under a foot. I really couldn't believe we got that much! The most we've ever gotten before was about 6" and I've lived here 26 years.

It was amazing and fun to see that much snow. My puppy had a blast in it. Took him forever to do his business though and he wanted to keep going back out to play all day long! It brought back memories of the time I lived in Michigan's U.P.

Quite a bit melted yesterday, but not enough yet. I really hate is how it ices up at night. Makes it very scary to take the dog out. Falling on ice is the last thing we normally have to worry about! I'm really hoping most of the rest melts off today. It is supposed to be around 50 degrees, so we'll see.

I'm still marveling we actually got that much. So many times these forecasted giant storms turn out to be a dud. They were right with this one though!

I had about 6" at my house. Some parts of town got more though and Jerome really got smacked! Sedona too. Being in this 'bowl' of a valley probably helps but I wouldn't have been unhappy to see more. It happens so seldom it's really fun AND it doesn't last long enough to get really annoying. Half my yard is melted already. Our high is supposed to be around 50 as well so it'll be gone before we know it. My daughter lives in Mayer and posted pics yesterday.

I lived in Michigan once upon a time too. Detroit. That's where I learned what Winter is all about. Also humidity! Visited the UP many times. Beautiful state but I was very happy to come home after five years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement