Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2009, 07:46 AM

205 posts, read 397,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I just want to update where I am, and thank everyone who's posted or sent me encouraging comments. I am going ahead and listing my house this week, as is! I am not going to worry any more about it being show-perfect (which it will never be, since it's an older home and it is what it is). I've decided to stay around the family members I have in this area, rather than relocate (my decision would have been different 10 yrs ago, but I hit 60 and moving again after this move is not an option~~unless it's into the subsidized old folks farm)...this is scary, to sell the house, as many of you know...without knowing exactly where I'm going...but at least I know now, after months and months of searching and deliberations, it will be to an area town that is not as desirable as where I am but has less exp taxes and better public transp. It's a necessary tradeoff, no choices at this point. I just hope it sells quickly so I don't have to go thru months and months of showings
Spring (a cold one so far) is finally coming to NewEngl, just in time to avert my nervous breakdown...it was truly a long, isolated winter. I can't wait to be around more people again, no matter what kind of house/apt I end up in!

Anyone else made any bold decisions?
Hey, congratulations on making that first, really hard decision. You took the first step!!!! Looking back, I never had any problem making tough decisions and moving forward. Indecision must be a trait of getting older. You and your bravery are an inspiration !

Old 04-05-2009, 07:57 AM

Quote:
I have to stay positive and not get fearful! Anyone else out there at my age (60+) living on the edge and wondering what to do and how to cope??

~~NewEnglGirl
Hey, Girl; You just described me ! I am leaving this house by the end of June. I still have no idea where I am going to go/live/stay, etc . I'll keep your words -"stay positive and not get fearful" - as my mantra. Keep us posted on your journey.

Old 04-05-2009, 05:44 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Default NewEngl Girl takes leap

Okay everyone, I did it...today I listed my house and there is now a FS sign in front of it! I also made an offer to purchase another house that came up out of the blue this weekend!!! I'm having a big glass of wine to calm down. I don't want to jinx it by talking about it yet...Plus, my house needs to sell first and who knows how long that could take????:
confused::thi nk:: tape:
I am battling the urge to freak out as I move forward into the TOTAL UNKNOWN! There are spiritual paths named for this I'm sure. Either that or I'm too far gone to know what I'm doing. But strangely I feel good knowing I am taking action even if I could be making a mistake. I am absolutely determined to stay positive and not allow myself to get fearful. There's only so much hemming and hawing we can do, and time is flying. Someone send me a martini!!

Old 04-05-2009, 05:47 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,262,871 times
Best of luck to you. Hope your house sells soon.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:01 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,130,124 times
Sending a big, strong martini up you way! Hope all you wish for and work for comes to fruition.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:21 PM

8,815 posts, read 21,282,976 times
I have to stay positive and not get fearful! Anyone else out there at my age (60+) living on the edge and wondering what to do and how to cope??

All of us. Just take a few weeks ( ) and read through this thread. All of us are unsure about our futures and all of us are looking for the same thing.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 04-05-2009, 10:48 PM

384 posts, read 990,455 times
newengland girl - way to go! A decision and an action - actually multiple actions...wow - I am both excited for and envious of you. Best of luck on your chosen path - it sure didn't take you long to choose a direction and start moving - how did you do that so fast! You're a role model!

karcon - exciting things ahead for you too!

Perhaps I'll be comfortable making a decision and taking action after I watch the majority of posters moving on out ahead of me, settling in, and finding that comfort zone.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:30 AM

Thumbs up Way to Go!

Quote:
Okay everyone, I did it...today I listed my house and there is now a FS sign in front of it! I also made an offer to purchase another house that came up out of the blue this weekend!!! I'm having a big glass of wine to calm down. I don't want to jinx it by talking about it yet...Plus, my house needs to sell first and who knows how long that could take????:
confused::thi nk:: tape:
I am battling the urge to freak out as I move forward into the TOTAL UNKNOWN! There are spiritual paths named for this I'm sure. Either that or I'm too far gone to know what I'm doing. But strangely I feel good knowing I am taking action even if I could be making a mistake. I am absolutely determined to stay positive and not allow myself to get fearful. There's only so much hemming and hawing we can do, and time is flying. Someone send me a martini!!
Wow, when you make a decision you go all the way!!!! WAY TO GO!!! I am envious. Stay positive, don't freak out. Soon we are all going to be cyberly opening a bottle of bubbly to toast your move. You bring much encouragement to this thread!!!

Old 04-06-2009, 03:31 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karcon View Post
Wow, when you make a decision you go all the way!!!! WAY TO GO!!! I am envious. Stay positive, don't freak out. Soon we are all going to be cyberly opening a bottle of bubbly to toast your move. You bring much encouragement to this thread!!!
Thanks, everyone, for your encouragement.

Day 2 of the FS out front!

I figure I'll keep spiffing up the place while it's on the market. The idea of waiting to list was driving me crazy as I'm obsessive about things and I might never have gotten around to doing it. When I came home today I had a calmer feeling and the instinct that I'm doing the right thing.

When I was having lunch at Panerra's I was sitting next to an elderly woman and her two daughters. Their conversation was an exact replica of what I and my siblings went through in the past several years with my mother....trying to talk her into selling her house and renting or getting a renter. The older woman's retorts sounded exactly like my mom's! The resistance was unmistakable. This scenario is playing out in many places today as the older folks are caught in a bind about where and how to live (financially and otherwise). It reinforced for me all of our instincts to make moves now before we get too old to decide for ourselves. Onward....

Old 04-07-2009, 05:25 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,262,871 times
Quote:
When I came home today I had a calmer feeling and the instinct that I'm doing the right thing.
Then you almost certainly are doing the right thing. Sending you sell soon wishes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement