Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2017, 12:11 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,113,548 times

Advertisements

shades_of_idaho: Was there a particular diet you used to lose the weight?

My portions are too large, snacks too many, ice cream a real issue. And a very sedentary life.

My first goal is 10 lbs, then 20. Maybe 30. Tho if I could lose 40, that would be amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2017, 12:13 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,841,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Just... wow! Or you know, some women don't/never did base their self confidence on how much attention they receive from men?
Yeah you are right,but i am looking at some other posts on this forum and a large percentage of them did!

So some posters misunderstood my comment about unattractive women and getting older.

I notice in these getting older threads that nobody ADMITS to being unattractive when younger.

Everyone always was super attractive and lost their looks.

SO why cant the opposite happen?
Because people refuse to believe that some older women look better in their older years than they did when younger.

WHy is THAT so hard to understand?

Old 09-13-2017, 12:24 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,583,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post

Because people refuse to believe that some older women look better in their older years than they did when younger.
There's an actor on Bold and Beautiful who has been a main actor on this show for 35 years or more. I don't find him attractive much at all when he was much younger, but now and in many recent years, he's currently 72, he is extremely attractive - his name is John McCook. He became much more attractive as an older gentleman - especially with the great silver hair.

Sorry for the goofy example. LOL

There are also some women who were young when clothing and hair styles were not nearly as attractive as they are in current years - so their looks actually look better in recent years when they are older due to great hair style and great clothes.

Last edited by matisse12; 09-13-2017 at 01:20 PM..

Old 09-13-2017, 12:26 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Yeah you are right,but i am looking at some other posts on this forum and a large percentage of them did!

So some posters misunderstood my comment about unattractive women and getting older.

I notice in these getting older threads that nobody ADMITS to being unattractive when younger.

Everyone always was super attractive and lost their looks.

WHy is THAT so hard to understand?
I'd love it if karma always worked itself out so nicely so that everyone had their chance in the sun....it may take several lifetimes to even out for some of us!

Old 09-13-2017, 12:36 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Not all women are like your description and I am one who is not even remotely close to your description, thank goodness.
Me, either. I found the thread title sad yet humorous.

If your self-worth and identity is that fragile that you clutch so desperately to your youth and looks, you've got some work to do on yourself, girl. Get cracking or you could end up one of those pathetic people who is always trying to look younger than her age and fooling no one.

Develop some character. Look outward. See how you can become part of a community and the world, not someone focused on yourself--which is the type of person you are to have asked that question.

I am 59 and the happiest with myself and most fulfilled now than at any point earlier in my life. I'm looking forward.

Your choice to make--or not.

Old 09-13-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
So I am not getting "over it" , I am embracing it . There is this moment when you hit a certain age (different for everyone) where you really don't give a rats backside what anyone thinks and you focus on the quality of your life and it isn't defined by whether a man notices you or not.
Sing it.

Old 09-13-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrilbyandDixie View Post
Same here. When people ask how old I was when I hit menopause I have to say "I don't know" because, aside from weight gain which had been going on for years, I had no symptoms.

Please, Sharpy, don't bite my head off for saying this!
Same here. My younger sister went on and on about her hot flashes and this and that and the other thing for a couple of years. My period started skipping and then stopped for good when I was 53. Yes, there were some physical changes to my body. Some parts ain't as perky as they once were. But that was pretty much menopause.

Old 09-13-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

If your self-worth and identity is that fragile that you clutch so desperately to your youth and looks, you've got some work to do on yourself, girl.
I think a woman can occasionally be a little wistful about not being as attractive as in younger years without being described and exaggerated as "clutching so desperately to one's youth and looks" and "having a fragile identity".

Women can have a ton of positive interests that occupy their brain and life (I do), and a well-developed intellect and/or personality, and still occasionally feel a little wistful about one's looks.

Last edited by matisse12; 09-13-2017 at 01:32 PM..

Old 09-13-2017, 02:07 PM

6,301 posts, read 4,197,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I think a woman can occasionally be a little wistful about not being as attractive as in younger years without being described and exaggerated as "clutching so desperately to one's youth and looks" and "having a fragile identity".

Women can have a ton of positive interests that occupy their brain and life (I do), and a well-developed intellect and/or personality, and still occasionally feel a little wistful about one's looks.

NO, only thing I am wistful for is being able to walk without it hurting my feet and the days I didn't have to worry about whether a physical activity is going to wreck my back for a week or two. So NO.

Old 09-13-2017, 02:18 PM

I'm wistful (at times, but not often) for good knees, walking without problems, great mobility, a strong lower back, stamina, considerably less pain, and a lack of osteoarthritis too.

Last edited by matisse12; 09-13-2017 at 03:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement