Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2017, 10:59 AM

106,679 posts, read 108,856,202 times

Advertisements

by descent i mean landing in to a new stage of life . it does not mean a lower lifestyle or anything pertaining to either personal growth or financial growth other than what you want it to . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2017, 11:38 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
I have been around here for more than a decade. Every forum has nannys and this one is no exception. I just ignore them. And the trolls too. Over the years I have posted in lots of the forums, not necessarily because I belong there but usually I have a question or I am looking for something. Most recently I posted a question about Nathan's Knish in Coney Island. I wanted to know the recipe or where to find them. I'm still looking.

People are interested in retirement and how to get there. They are looking forward to it. I read this forum for ages before I retired. So they post here. Sometimes they just want to know what the older part of the population thinks about one thing or another. No problem. I still post in the work forum. Not because I am still working but because I worked all my life and I have a lot of experience.

Just like real life, a little tolerance goes a long way. In general, the people here are great.

Old 09-24-2017, 12:02 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,850,891 times
I like this forum the way it is, I've been posting here for many years and I enjoy the variety of posts. This place has helped me in lots of ways and I'm glad it's here. I think it's one of the best ones on CD!

Old 09-24-2017, 12:08 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,583,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post

I like this forum the way it is,
What would be the alternatives for this forum if it doesn't stay "the way it is"?

Old 09-24-2017, 12:18 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times
We've been retired for a few years now so a lot topics in the forum interest me. Still in 40s though so the old age related ones don't, but quite easy to not click.

Old 09-24-2017, 12:45 PM

6,302 posts, read 4,199,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
We've been retired for a few years now so a lot topics in the forum interest me. Still in 40s though so the old age related ones don't, but quite easy to not click.

I am not into my old age either, but I do like to see what issues olders are facing but yes, you are right, easy to skip posts that don't interest us

Old 09-24-2017, 12:59 PM

997 posts, read 710,713 times
I enjoy the information provided on the forum but have noticed:
-- There are a few intimidating posters who must have the last word on subjects. Just let them already!
--Those who post snarky comments meant to humiliate/belittle someone have inadvertently highlighted their own bitter nasty personality for all to see. Unhappy or just a Grouch?
--There is a wealth of information to be found here. It is possible to provide comments without eviscerating the original poster just for asking the question
--Many retirees have very comfortable retirements with multiple income streams. This apparently does not guarantee contentment
--The focus is on couples, for most of the advice. Those of you "we" and "us" posters seem more secure with double incomes.
--People can be quick to point fingers and resort to researching past posts to provide ammo for their barbs

I take a break from this forum every now and then. Sometimes it can be very detrimental to having a good day .

Old 09-24-2017, 01:06 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,548,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
And I cringe when someone complains that Serious Conversation should not be posting because of his age....
I don't have a problem with his age. I have a problem with his sometimes highly judgmental attitude, which may or may not mellow with age. But as Voltaire once said (paraphrasing), "I may not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to my death your right to say it."

Old 09-24-2017, 01:18 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,245,419 times
Smile And - this is the key.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Not a single one . . . yet. The conversation, so far, has been civil and respectful.
Keep it civil, respectful. Some on here from time to time come off as a rude and inconsiderate.

Too much negative today and it tends to go from one to the next. Let's treat each other with a little respect - most do that - and we should be fine.

Actually, as one poster mentioned in his or her post that seniors are treated like 5 year olds, this forum has showed many viewpoints and helped me deal with my own father in law staying in his own home when, in actuality, he would have been happier long term in an independent living place.

However, many of you changed my mind and I let it go. We went the caregiver route (he was 92 at that time), finally got the car away (other helpful threads on this topic) and he stayed in his own home which was his wish at the time.

Personally, I still work and I have to, however, I have clients from all walks of life and all ages. Recently, I had a senior couple visit me and we went over their goals and what they plan to do - my takeaway from them - they were lovely, so positive and even though they've had some heartache in their lives, they still retain their smiles and positive outlook.

I hope to be more like them.

Old 09-24-2017, 01:18 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,583,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post

I agree with the OP in its entirety. Since the moderators are volunteering their time to moderate they should be given the benefit of the doubt as to how the forum should be run.
I personally feel they are doing a damn fine job, end of story. On to the next subject!
I don't see anything in the OP's post focusing on how the moderators run the forums or run the Retirement forum. Maybe you are giving your opinion on how the moderators run the forum(s) as part of your agreement with the other things the OP said.

I believe I read that the two main moderators (overseeing all forums) are paid employees of the company which owns and runs CD. While the other moderators are not paid.

One part of the OP's post particularly interested me pertaining to objective analysis. I don't think objective thinking and decisions are possible in most things surrounding decisions made on CD. I think all the decisions are subjective and lie in the belief systems, personality, and psyche of whoever is making decisions for CD at any point in time and on any occasion.

Last edited by matisse12; 09-24-2017 at 01:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement