Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2008, 09:53 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,298,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post
Irnag posted a program on the Mission Baseball team. In the program was an ad for Manhattan Restaurant. How many remember it? It was located next door to the Majestic Theatre and it really did have good food. The ad looks lame, but I guess they were trying to tie into the baseball terminology. My father kept on telling me that Babe Ruth was in town and played a game at the Missions. Hit a home run nat. Also Dizzy Dean started out in San Antonio playing for City Public Service and played a game at Mission Park. Back in those days, Missions played anybody. After Dizzy left SA he went up further in minors and wound up on the St. Louis Cardinals. He won two World Series in the thirties. His brother also played with him on the Cards. His name was Daffy Dean.
I remember Dizzy back in the fifties, calling the Cardinals game on TV.
gy2020,
You may appreciate the attached postcard:
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-getcard-1.jpeg   Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-getcard.jpeg  

Old 01-18-2008, 10:00 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,436,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
I remember as a kid I liked Wyatt's a lot more than Luby's. They had better fried chicken and mashed potatoes. Or maybe it was the gravy they used on the mashed potatoes....I think it tasted kind of like KFC's.

You are right, though, I do remember it being upstairs by Sears. But I don't think it became a Jailhouse Cafe. I think it became a Texas State Optical, with an optometrist's office adjacent to it. That guy used to be my eye doctor through the 1980's. He was Chinese and a very nice man. I would get my glasses at the TSO next door. I don't remember a Jailhouse in Ingram at all (Unless it was in the mid to late 90's, I stopped going there by that time), but I do remember one at Windsor Park Mall. I remember reading in the paper that they did not pay their rent and were thrown out then sued by the management company that ran Windsor at the time.

Does anybody remember in the 1980's an odd little consumer electronic store downstairs in Ingram Mall, in front of the Sear's and to the right? I think it was called "United".
I also thoughts Wyatt's was better than Luby's, and I think United also had a store at Mccreless mall. Sorry about the spelling.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:01 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,436,948 times
I think in the late 80's there was a flea market where I guess tg&y used to be at on wurzbach and Evers.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:14 PM

Found this on the net and was wondering if anybody knew anything about this restaurant. I think someone posted something about Tai-Shan earlier. It looks like an interesting place.

Also, do any of you remember about a place called Electric Park? I found a bunch of references to it and some old cool postcards, but I myself have no memory of it. Where was it? What happened to it?

Just Curious on both places
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-47b1_1.jpg  

Old 01-18-2008, 10:15 PM

Forgive all the posts, but I have been gone awhile, so I gotta catch up.

Here is the interior of the original Earl Abels' from its heyday:
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-55917.jpg  

Old 01-18-2008, 10:19 PM

Another unique pic from Hemisfair, I hadn't seen this one before. The accompanying text reads:

"1968 World's Fair -- HemisFair -- San Antonio, Texas. Lagoon Cruise. A boat ride around the winding waterways gives visitors a lazy orientation tour of HemisFair. Here a boat passes between the Pearl Brewing Co. Palm Garden (left) and Pepsi-Cola / Frito-Lay Flying Indian spectacular (right)."
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-2129_1.jpg  

Old 01-18-2008, 10:23 PM

I completely forgot about this place on the corner of San Pedro and Jackson-Keller! I remember driving by this place in the 1970's as my parents would drive over to visit friends on the other side of Oblate. I think in the 1980's it was converted to a kind of strip mall. Anybody have any better memories of it?
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-54557.jpg  

Old 01-18-2008, 10:38 PM

847 posts, read 2,233,448 times
Quote:
Found this on the net and was wondering if anybody knew anything about this restaurant.

I think someone posted something about Tai-Shan earlier.

It looks like an interesting place.

I ate there in the fifties with my family.

Young at the time, I don't remember much about it,
but I do remember the places we ate,
because it was a great treat eating out once a week.

YoungBloods was another great place to eat out,
and DeWinne's at the corner of San Pedro and Oblate
was very memorable. A little older then. Early sixties.

HaHA check out the postCard -

d b cooper - FBI's 10 Most Wanted

mud

Old 01-18-2008, 10:39 PM

While surfing the net for old SA stuff I stumbled across an item called "Van Raub Ghost Town":

"Some Background:VAN RAUB, TEXAS. Van Raub was near Cibolo Creek at a site just off present Interstate Highway 10, twenty-four miles northwest of downtown San Antonio in northwestern Bexar County. The community was established on a survey of the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railway in 1884 and was named for Van Raub Byron, owner of the first local business. A church, a school, a cotton gin, and a weekly newspaper (the Advance) were established during 1885. The population was reported as 300 in 1886, and a post office opened in 1889, but the town declined with the building of the railroad west to Kerrville. The Van Raub community reported 150 residents in 1910, when Henry Monken was railroad agent and postmaster. The community post office was replaced by rural delivery from Boerne in 1919. During the mid-1930s Van Raub still had a school, a store, and a few houses, but after World War IIqv most of its remaining residents moved away. In the early 1990s only a few scattered houses remained. At that time Fair Oaks Ranch, a suburban development, was located nearby."

Does anybody know if any of the buildings are still standing?
Or do Primo and I have to take another hike to the middle of nowhere?

Last edited by GWhopper; 01-18-2008 at 11:01 PM..

Old 01-18-2008, 10:39 PM

847 posts, read 2,233,448 times
Quote:
I completely forgot about this place on the corner of San Pedro and Jackson-Keller!
I remember driving by this place in the 1970's
as my parents would drive over to visit friends on the other side of Oblate.
I think in the 1980's it was converted to a kind of strip mall.

Anybody have any better memories of it?

First off Hopper, yes I do have better memories of the T&C Lodge -

corner of San Pedro and Oblate not JK.

I lived two blocks from there between 1957 and 1966.

Tommy Caldwell and his family lived there for a few months
when their home was being rebuilt
after it burned down.

Hopper, did you have a Honda 250 Scrambler??

mud

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio