Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2011, 10:03 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,399,115 times

Advertisements

People have some pretty strong remarks about music in general. First and foremost, Idol is a money-making machine. It's designed to have some conflict, generate interest, and get people to watch their videos (commercials), draw a larger audience, and lure in stars that want to regenerate their aging careers. IMO, Idol has been successful in all of these areas, and generates tremendous profits for Fox.

There's been some pretty good talent over the years. With the voting being what it is, it's a crap shoot as to who really wins it. The past few years, the AI winner has been pretty mediocre.

I'm not a country guy music-wise, but I do listen to some of it. I like Keith Urban, Some Shania Twain, Brad Paisley. If people paid more attention to the singing rather than superficial style and attitudes, they might be able to enjoy some music. Scotty's alright, and he'll do pretty well. I personally think Lauren is a whole lot better than some here think, I'm fairly confused as to some reviews. Haley is pretty unique. Hard to get too caught up in attitude in the music biz. I always thought it was a prerequisite. Haley can sing songs hardly anyone in the contest would attempt. I personally thought this week's performance was just too darn good to overlook. When I saw J Lo smirking, I immediately said "Haley Lost".

But at this point, the voting process is almost pre ordained by those that participate in a big way. The producers have way too much to lose to just let the results be chosen at random. How much of the show is managed? I don't know. But anyone that's followed the industry will know that there are far more successful Idol losers than winners. If JLO and Randy determined who goes on each round to the final, I think their audience would be cut in half, easily. Tyler doesn't really matter, he's just trying to sell a book and look relevant.

Just imagine, Jacob and Stefano and Pia as the final three. I doubt the votes would have reached where they are now, nobody would really care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 10:34 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,597,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I won't watch the country performances next week. I bear no ill will toward the country duo, but I don't care who wins, and I just can't stomach any more JLo. I'm not going to miss the results show with Lady Gaga, Stevie Nicks and perhaps Aerosmith performing. My favorites Casey, Paul and Naima will be back along with Haley. Because Haley made the final three you should see more of her on the tour that some of the lower placing contestants. This is what's been done in past tours.
The expression on JLo's face when Haley sang in front of her was priceless. She had to force herself to walk up to the stage. Funny how she mentioned Beyonce's fall when Haley tripped on the stairs and never mentioned her fall at the 2009 AMA before her comeback. Slezak gets it right when he calls JLo a "toxic she-beast."
Regarding people who have made it to the finale and then didn't sell - David Archuleta's contract with Jive was cancelled a few months ago. The tweenies are fickle. Daughtry and Jennifer Hudson are examples of winners who never made final two. I thank AI for introducing me to Casey, Paul and Haley.
Clip from Slezak:
I love how Haley changed up the lyrics when she stood in front of the trio of judges
I loved the riff Haley inserted into that “Bennie! Bennie and the j-eh-eh-eh-eh-eh-ehts” after she leaned backward and shimmied down the steps toward the judges. I loved how she changed up the lyrics on the fly to include the judges’ names (“Oh Randy and J.Lo have you seen ‘em yet? Oh but they’re so spaced out. Buh-buh-buh-buh-buh-Bennie and Ste-ven.”)
'American Idol' Recap: Oh But She's Weird and She's Wonderful - TVLine
Oh that was positively sweet!!! And how she put an extra long emphasis on the SSSSSSS while looking straight into the camera. Loved how ST ran up to hug her as the credits rolled!

Jennifer actually did mention falling herself because I remember it distinctly, but I so feel you on your general assessment.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:36 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,597,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
People have some pretty strong remarks about music in general. First and foremost, Idol is a money-making machine. It's designed to have some conflict, generate interest, and get people to watch their videos (commercials), draw a larger audience, and lure in stars that want to regenerate their aging careers. IMO, Idol has been successful in all of these areas, and generates tremendous profits for Fox.

There's been some pretty good talent over the years. With the voting being what it is, it's a crap shoot as to who really wins it. The past few years, the AI winner has been pretty mediocre.

I'm not a country guy music-wise, but I do listen to some of it. I like Keith Urban, Some Shania Twain, Brad Paisley. If people paid more attention to the singing rather than superficial style and attitudes, they might be able to enjoy some music. Scotty's alright, and he'll do pretty well. I personally think Lauren is a whole lot better than some here think, I'm fairly confused as to some reviews. Haley is pretty unique. Hard to get too caught up in attitude in the music biz. I always thought it was a prerequisite. Haley can sing songs hardly anyone in the contest would attempt. I personally thought this week's performance was just too darn good to overlook. When I saw J Lo smirking, I immediately said "Haley Lost".

But at this point, the voting process is almost pre ordained by those that participate in a big way. The producers have way too much to lose to just let the results be chosen at random. How much of the show is managed? I don't know. But anyone that's followed the industry will know that there are far more successful Idol losers than winners. If JLO and Randy determined who goes on each round to the final, I think their audience would be cut in half, easily. Tyler doesn't really matter, he's just trying to sell a book and look relevant.

Just imagine, Jacob and Stefano and Pia as the final three. I doubt the votes would have reached where they are now, nobody would really care.
Word....I would let Stefano sing to me any day of the week

Old 05-20-2011, 10:36 AM

18,025 posts, read 27,475,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
Haley was like a fine vintage wine.
Haley who? A fine vintage whine is more like it.

To those who don't like the finale or like to make racist "hee haw" remarks, "Here's your coat and your hat, what's your hurry?"

Old 05-20-2011, 10:52 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,617,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Haley who? A fine vintage whine is more like it.

To those who don't like the finale or like to make racist "hee haw" remarks, "Here's your coat and your hat, what's your hurry?"

I betcha those using the term Hee Haw would not be doing so if they had the success and money of Reba, Dolly, George, Garth, Willie.....and so on. lol

I love my country music, however I also listen to other genre's and don't diss any of them like that. I may not be able to tolerate metal, but I didn't make any derogatory statements about it when James performed a metal song.

I think Scotty and Lauren have great potential and if they get the right guidance and choices I think they can have long strong careers.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:57 AM

18,025 posts, read 27,475,785 times
When I was a kid, I was sort of forced to watch Hee Haw... with my parents.

If I didn't watch Hee Haw, I didn't get any dinner.

Meanwhile, my older bro was in the back bedroom twisting up doobies and watching Laugh-In. Let's just say... I thought Goldie Hawn had it goin' on! And I was a skinny child.

Old 05-20-2011, 11:21 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
I don't like or listen to Country Music. I don't expect anyone that does to agree with me. Attitude did not sink Haley's ship.
As one who was very late to jump on the Haley bandwagon, I agree. If there was a most improved category Haley would have won that title hands down. Haley, if she makes it, is never going to be one of those universal entertainers. You won't be seeing her on Broadway but give material that is tailored for her style, and she very well may become a major player, like my current all time favorite Idol loser/winner Crystal Bowersox the only Idol contestant in 10 seasons whose music I have ever taken the time to buy.

Old 05-20-2011, 11:25 AM

2,673 posts, read 3,249,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
All you folks complaining about the finale being all country and such and don't plan to watch......don't forget the results show will have ALL the contestants back paired up with someone that's likely to already be an idol.

It's funny because I don't ever remember the country fans complaining so much when previous finale shows did not include any country artists. hmmm
The complaint is less about the country genre, and more about the individual's talent, originality, range of skill, growth during competition, and overall performance.

Scotty has played it safe the entire competion and has not sang very difficult songs (from what I've heard/seen).

Besides, American Idol started as a competition for a 'pop' idol. It's dynamic and things change, but it wasn't a country music competition. It was a pop/rock competition.

Old 05-20-2011, 11:25 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,319,742 times
It's still AI and I have watched it from day one and fully plan on watching it to the last day. It's not about who is no longer there but who is there. Hey America--you voted!!! Those who are going to hang their heads down, stomp their feet and not watch--oh well. These kids have put out their hearts and souls to get where they are and I for one will enjoy hearing them to the end!

And, did you vote?????????????????????????????????

Last edited by cynwldkat; 05-20-2011 at 11:36 AM..

Old 05-20-2011, 11:27 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,319,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
The complaint is less about the country genre, and more about the individual's talent, originality, range of skill, growth during competition, and overall performance.

Scotty has played it safe the entire competion and has not sang very difficult songs (from what I've heard/seen).

Besides, American Idol started as a competition for a 'pop' idol. It's dynamic and things change, but it wasn't a country music competition. It was a pop/rock competition.
I disagree-AI has always been a singing competition--all kinds of singing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV