U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-01-2014, 05:13 PM
 
Location: Lakewood, NJ
1,171 posts, read 2,020,888 times
Reputation: 757

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by needhelp101 View Post
this year many many incumbant republians are expected to be voted out because of the huge divide on minimum wage issues. half republican supporters are corporations and the other half are middle class americans, so if the middle class get mad over the minimum wage issue then GOP will loose base fast

also corporations are not for or against unemployment, they really dont care, they are simply using it as a bargaining chip to try and repeal the ACA which will the dems will never give in to, whih si why we have this mess
I think the corporations care a lot since when we don't have money we don't buy things and they lose revenue. The ACA is already set in motion and too many people are signed up. They really can't do anything to stop it at this point - it would be a worse cluster "you know what" than when the website was launched and a majority of the large corporations already provide healthcare so it doesn't matter to many of them. It's mostly the smaller businesses that it affects and that requirement has already been pushed back a year.

 
Old 02-01-2014, 05:23 PM
 
31 posts, read 35,762 times
Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin Nagant View Post
Many incumbent democrats are expected to be voted out also because of the utter failure of ACA. That is why there is a move by Harry Reid and establishment democrats to hold unemployment benefits hostage as long as possible to make republicans look bad and distract from the ever increasing failures of ACA. We wont get our benefits until people like Harry Reid think it to be politically expedient.
how has the ACA failed? you must be easily bought into the propaganda that GOP has been selling?


let me also emphasize here that EUC has not been extended because senate republicans continue to cry and cry that ACA has not been repealed and they simply can not accept that it is now the law of the land. they keep crying and they wont do a thing till they get their way. the only reason farm bill passed is because obama embarrassed them in SOTU the day before, nothing else has passed


house GOP has had over 40 votes to try and repeal it and they still dont give up. talk about wasting tax money


ACA is not going anywhere learn to live with it
 
Old 02-01-2014, 05:48 PM
 
409 posts, read 429,776 times
Reputation: 266
I hate reading this thread sometimes lol. Sometimes I get hopeful from one reply and my dreams crushed by another.
 
Old 02-01-2014, 06:24 PM
 
111 posts, read 125,289 times
Reputation: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin Nagant View Post
Many incumbent democrats are expected to be voted out also because of the utter failure of ACA. That is why there is a move by Harry Reid and establishment democrats to hold unemployment benefits hostage as long as possible to make republicans look bad and distract from the ever increasing failures of ACA. We wont get our benefits until people like Harry Reid think it to be politically expedient.
nobody has to make the republicans "look bad", they make themselves look bad
 
Old 02-01-2014, 06:25 PM
 
314 posts, read 505,137 times
Reputation: 122
"It looks like unemployment is on the agenda for Monday afternoon. Senator Cory Booker mentioned that they would be discussing it in his Facebook Q & A the other day, as well.

PENDING BUSINESS
S. 1845 (ORDER NO. 265)
A bill to provide for the extension of certain unemployment benefits, and for other purposes. (Jan. 9, 2014.)

The Senate convenes on Monday, February 3 at 2 pm.

I don't know if there will be a vote on Monday, but at least it's back on the agenda."
 
Old 02-01-2014, 06:48 PM
 
154 posts, read 198,631 times
Reputation: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by needhelp101 View Post
how has the ACA failed? you must be easily bought into the propaganda that GOP has been selling?
less than 2 million signups - 5 million cancellations = failure


Quote:
Originally Posted by needhelp101 View Post
let me also emphasize here that EUC has not been extended because senate republicans continue to cry and cry that ACA has not been repealed and they simply can not accept that it is now the law of the land. they keep crying and they wont do a thing till they get their way. the only reason farm bill passed is because obama embarrassed them in SOTU the day before, nothing else has passed
Almost all of the options for a pay for that republicans have offered have NOTHING to do with ACA. Another one of Harry Reid's excuses for stalling.


Quote:
Originally Posted by needhelp101 View Post
house GOP has had over 40 votes to try and repeal it and they still dont give up. talk about wasting tax money
I don't even know why they bothered. I think they now have realized all they have to do is sit back and do nothing and it will fall apart on it's own. While we are talking about tax payer money what about the $500 million+ spent on healthcare.gov that to any competent programmer looks like it was programmed by trained monkeys? Another no bid government contract awarded to insiders.


Quote:
Originally Posted by needhelp101 View Post
ACA is not going anywhere learn to live with it
That has yet to be seen.
 
Old 02-01-2014, 06:50 PM
 
154 posts, read 198,631 times
Reputation: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis44102 View Post
nobody has to make the republicans "look bad", they make themselves look bad
I don't disagree with that. My point however is this is all political maneuvering to gain points for democrats.
 
Old 02-01-2014, 06:52 PM
 
665 posts, read 795,688 times
Reputation: 239
Cory Booker said on Thursday that at 6pm on Monday Feb 3rd he will discuss the unemployment benefits in an attempt to try to get the 2 votes they need so they can start the process to vote on it some time next week. This will be live on CSPAN.


Quote:
Originally Posted by msix3623 View Post
"It looks like unemployment is on the agenda for Monday afternoon. Senator Cory Booker mentioned that they would be discussing it in his Facebook Q & A the other day, as well.

PENDING BUSINESS
S. 1845 (ORDER NO. 265)
A bill to provide for the extension of certain unemployment benefits, and for other purposes. (Jan. 9, 2014.)

The Senate convenes on Monday, February 3 at 2 pm.

I don't know if there will be a vote on Monday, but at least it's back on the agenda."
 
Old 02-01-2014, 07:34 PM
 
111 posts, read 125,289 times
Reputation: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamageInc View Post
Cory Booker said on Thursday that at 6pm on Monday Feb 3rd he will discuss the unemployment benefits in an attempt to try to get the 2 votes they need so they can start the process to vote on it some time next week. This will be live on CSPAN.
One would think that a 51 majority would suffice, but for the last few years i have watched c-span
its always that 60 vote cloture rule..

Nobody has mentioned it much, but there is whats called "the Nuclear Option" to supersede the 60 vote rule, and it HAS been done on a rare occasion or two..

If one wants to be mad at the Dems, THAT is a reason right there, both parties are so consumed by their at times arcane procedural rules that they wont set precedent
 
Old 02-01-2014, 07:49 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
19,552 posts, read 37,274,524 times
Reputation: 12298
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis44102 View Post
Nobody has mentioned it much, but there is whats called "the Nuclear Option" to supersede the 60 vote rule, and it HAS been done on a rare occasion or two..

If one wants to be mad at the Dems, THAT is a reason right there, both parties are so consumed by their at times arcane procedural rules that they wont set precedent
They can and have used nuclear on cabinet and other appointments, other than the SC.

Senate goes for - November 2013

The GOP is still fuming about this - which makes the Congress even more dysfunctional.

Do you think Reid should also go nuclear on funding? Can it even be done???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top