Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2008, 06:59 AM

385 posts, read 1,921,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
...and you say this like I didn't know this or something? I am getting a degree in Geography..

I think I've gathered from your posts that Morgantown is growing... thank you for that clarification.

Same thing if you took a state the size of Arizona or any of the western states and placed it over the area of WV. That state would be one of the top 3-4 largest states in terms of populations. Does it matter? Not on paper...
Geography majors are cool....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 05:46 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,512,011 times
Construction update: there has been a very large crane at The Commons for the past few days, perhaps they are starting to put on some roof beams over the walls they have built.

Old 11-22-2008, 03:28 PM

According to www.berkeleycountyplanningcommisson.com, two street names have been approved for use at The Commons, they are: Townsend Street, and Retail Commons Parkway.

Old 11-22-2008, 04:36 PM

240 posts, read 831,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmccul View Post
According to www.berkeleycountyplanningcommisson.com, two street names have been approved for use at The Commons, they are: Townsend Street, and Retail Commons Parkway.

I dont think Townsend Street will be accessible from the Shopping Center, it looks like that is a R.O.W. to the neighboring properties. Retail Commons Parkway if you notice lines up perfectly on Apple Harvest Drive (Route 45) to be able to expand into the Wooded land on the other side of the road. The other side of Route 45 was annexed into the City of Martinsburg and one day Retail Commons Parkway could eventually connect into Delmar Orchard Road.

I look for within 10 years that connector road to be built and for the entire west side to be developed, maybe another Foxcroft. Regecy Centers, a large shopping center developer was to build a 750,000 sq ft shopping center on that side, but pulled out when The Commons discussion heated up. If AIG's new center suceeds I would think Regency or other developers would re-enter the picture for developing the land in the City's limits.

Old 11-23-2008, 04:04 PM

I remember reading about four to five years ago about that center. I am glad they pulled out because I think a center exceeding 700,000 SF would be too large for our area. The Commons square footage and tenants are perfect for this area. And I do agree, after The Commons opens, more business will wander towards that section. In fact, Sperry Van Ness has already bought a piece of land behind The Commons. There is a sign visible from Interstate 81 saying commercial land is for sale/lease, but there is no info. regarding it on Sperry's website. The walls are really going up now on The Commons' south building, it seems they just might meet their July 2009 Grand Opening date.

Old 11-24-2008, 04:01 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,404,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Kanawha Counties land mass is 903 sq. mi w/191,000 pop. as of 2007

Berkeley County land mass is 322 sq. mi w/about 100,000 pop. as of 2007
Jefferson County land mass is 210 sq.mi w/about 45,000-ish pop. 2007
Morgan county land mass us 229 sq/mi w/16,351 pop. as of 2007

So Kanawha is larger than those three EP counties combined by 142 sq/mi and the population in the EP is only about 30,000 less than Kanawha.

I'd say 10 years tops and the EP goes over Charleston in terms of population, unless a reversal of fortunes occurs in King Coal County.
It is already there unless Obama kills it. Clean Coal is going gangbusters, not to mention Natural Gas in the Nitro area and Geo Thermal. The Energy Expo was last week in Charleston.
Per the USA Today, Charleston now is in the top 10 for home appreciation and is listed as the best economic condition in the US.
If Coal and other Energy continues to drive the Charleston to Huntington corridor is predicted to go full steam with Scott Depot, Cross Lanes, South Charleston, and Hurricane gaining the share.

With the current housing glut, and though gas is back down to less than $2.00 per gallon the unknown is still there, esp., if Pelosi and Reid gets their veto proof majority for their 50 cents per gal. tax, which Obama supported in his Senate term. This will hurt the Eastern Panhandle.

We shall see as it is now in the Crystal Ball of the unpredictable future.

Old 11-24-2008, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD35 View Post
Agreed. The residents of Berkeley County are filling the parking lots of Washington County, MD and Frederick County, VA shopping centers and restaurants. I hope when this shopping center opens that it will keep people in town more and maybe the Martinsburg Mall will improve with increased traffic. Our mall sure needs some bigger stores, maybe American Eagle, Aeropostale, GAP, Old Navy, Hollister, etc.
The largest issue for Berkeley remains the same today as it was previous with Chatfield Taylor and the Outlet Malls, which were nice by the way. SALES TAX.
Folks will travel 10 miles down the road to Halfway to save at the Mall, then maybe cross over to PA to the Chambersburg Mall to buy clothing at zero tax.
WV still jabs the 6% hit to all, and Winchester is 4.5%.
This was the main factor for the failures in the Martinsburg Mall too. It is human nature to run from taxation. I remember living in Chicagoland. Lived in McHenry County where the tax was 6%, Cook County down the road was 8.5%, every Saturday you could not find a parking place in the plaza's and Mall because the hords from Cook County came to shop. You could always tell by the county/city stickers on the window.

Old 11-25-2008, 06:12 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,375,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
Per the USA Today, Charleston now is in the top 10 for home appreciation and is listed as the best economic condition in the US.
How do you keep finding things about WV in USA Today - I look on their website and never find anything. I'm not doubting your word, just like to forward things to my brother. We grew up in NE Ohio and he sure likes to give the hillbilly jabs to me. I'm having a blast with this payback.

One thing in USA Today grabbed my interest: High school and college students interest in economics is in the upswing. Thank heavens.

On the boooo side:
Quote:
As part of its federal life preserver, Citigroup will stop dividend payments for the next three years and curb certain executive compensation. But the banking giant and other recipients of taxpayer largess — AIG, the insurance behemoth, for instance — will continue to spend hundreds of millions of dollars to put their corporate logos on sports stadiums and events, ABC News says. Citi, AIG will continue sports sponsorships despite bailouts - On Deadline - USATODAY.com

Old 11-26-2008, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
How do you keep finding things about WV in USA Today - I look on their website and never find anything. I'm not doubting your word, just like to forward things to my brother. We grew up in NE Ohio and he sure likes to give the hillbilly jabs to me. I'm having a blast with this payback.

One thing in USA Today grabbed my interest: High school and college students interest in economics is in the upswing. Thank heavens.

On the boooo side:
In my travels I actually read it in the paper itself. The appreciation article was in the Money section listing Charleston as memory serves me at #8.
One sneaky thing about the Internet sites is, if you do not pay subscribe you do not get the whole paper.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:51 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,375,925 times
Ty
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia