Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2014, 02:39 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,449,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I know. I really get tired of back stories. Frankly, I think each book should stand alone on its merit even if the reader has never read an earlier work -- or read them all. That's just me.
I just get tired of the back stories when I've just read the book(s) it came from. It's like "Yeah, I know. I just read that. Get to the point." And then there are times an obscure reference is made to a previous book and I'm thinking "Huh? Where'd that come from?!"

I do agree about them being stand alone though. I like a series that propels me forward naturally, not one that forces me to read the next book.

Given that "Jack and Jill" wasn't (and still isn't) available from the libraries, I'm now reading "If I Did It: Confessions of the Killer" by O.J. Simpson. Don't judge me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 02:56 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,649,850 times
Regarding backstory -- ugh. When it's done as an "info dump" in stand alone novels, it shows the lack of storytelling skills in the writer. When backstory is given in a series because a reader may have jumped into the middle of the series, it's even more irritating. Don't annoy your regular readers with backstory for the sake a few that are dumb enough not to start with the first book. If it can be done in a sentence or two, that's fine. But, if it takes half a page, it's annoying. Besides, anyone who jumps into a series in the middle of it would hopefully expect not to know or understand a few things.

Old 07-11-2014, 03:28 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I just finished listening to: "Power Systems: Conversations on Global Democratic Uprisings and the New Challenges to U.S. Empire," by Noam Chomsky, David Barsamian

Next up on my audio list: "For the Time Being," by Annie Dillard; read by Tavia Gilbert
I ordered from the library based on your review. Always wanted to read Chomsky. I still haven't finished the couple Howard Zinn books I have.
Annie Dillard is also on my "to read" list.

Old 07-11-2014, 03:35 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,944,452 times
I try and read the recommendations here, but I usually only post when I'm reading a book I'm really enjoying. Right now, it's Orange is the New Black.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:39 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,844,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Yes, very scary reading. See also

War against the weak: eugenics and America's campaign to create a master race /
by Black, Edwin.
New York : Four Walls Eight Windows, c2003.
Subjects

 Eugenics -- United States -- History.

 Sterilization (Birth control) -- United States.

 Human reproduction -- Government policy -- United States.

 United States -- Social policy.

 United States -- Moral conditions.
ISBN:
1568582587 (hardcover)
Description:
xxviii, 550 p., [14] p. of plates : ill. ; 24 cm.

Your local library might have it, that's where I found this one.
Yes,I've come to believe that for all people their worst enemy is most often their own government!

Old 07-11-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
I'm currently reading three cozy mysteries as research/homework.

A Timely Vision by Joyce and Jim Lavene
The Whole Cat and Caboodle by Sofie Ryan
The Quiche of Death by M.C. Beaton
I have the cat one on my TBR list and put The Cat Who Could Read Backwards (Jim Qwilleran Feline Whodunnit) by Lilian Jackson Braun on reserve at my library,and today picked up one of the dog-show themed ones by Laurien Berenson.Hot Dog (A Melanie Travis Mystery)

http://www.amazon.com/Hot-Dog-Melani...urien+Berenson

http://www.amazon.com/Could-Backward...5127657&sr=1-1

I also picked up...Pies and Prejudice (A Charmed Pie Shoppe Mystery) by Ellery Adams

Pies and Prejudice (A Charmed Pie Shoppe Mystery) - Kindle edition by Ellery Adams. Mystery, Thriller & Suspense Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

Plus DL a Kindle Freebie~Foreclosed: A Mitzy Neuhaus Mystery (A Mitzy Neuhaus Mystery Book 1) by Traci Tyne Hilton

Foreclosed: A Mitzy Neuhaus Mystery (A Mitzy Neuhaus Mystery Book 1) - Kindle edition by Traci Tyne Hilton. Religion & Spirituality Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:53 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,649,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
The Cat Who Could Read Backwards (Jim Qwilleran Feline Whodunnit) by Lilian Jackson Braun

I also picked up...Pies and Prejudice (A Charmed Pie Shoppe Mystery) by Ellery Adams
The Cat Who... series is what got me into cozy mysteries in the first place. Love 'em. Have you ever heard the audio book of one? EXCELLENT! Superbly read!

I read Pies and Prejudice. I did like it but, by the end of the book, I'd had my fill of that series. I love a good culinary cozy but I like them enchantING more than having things enchantED. Witches, vampires and the supernatural aren't my style.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
The Cat Who... series is what got me into cozy mysteries in the first place. Love 'em. Have you ever heard the audio book of one? EXCELLENT! Superbly read!

I read Pies and Prejudice. I did like it but, by the end of the book, I'd had my fill of that series. I love a good culinary cozy but I like them enchantING more than having things enchantED. Witches, vampires and the supernatural aren't my style.

No, I haven't heard any of the Cat Who books on audio book.I don't really have the patience to sit still for audio books. I wish I had thought of them back when I was still able to do needle crafts.

Pies and Prejudice will be my first book of that type so not sure how I will like it,but I totally loved "A Skeleton In The Family" and want to read the other two in the series.

Old 07-12-2014, 05:42 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
i_love_autumn & southwest88: I don't know whether to thank you or just roll belly up and piddle myself like a dog. Running out the door screaming also crossed my mind. You know, I think the thing is that I always have had some sense of this terrible truth but didn't really know on this visceral level. I've been prideful and self-congratulating on my ability to look at the truth of things and it's all been a sham. Worse, now I want to put my head in the sand and stay there 'til the end of time!

No hope of that, really. I'm still only less than half into "America's Deadliest Export" and unlike Chomsky, Blum not only cites his assertions, but provides endnotes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I think I would need to read or listen to something a little hopeful like Annie Dillard after that too. But you know, keep in mind that Annie Dillard is also a part of the US.
Ironic that you should mention that, netwit, because there have been a couple of places in the book where she states numbers of people killed by foreign tyrants, and yet she never ONCE mentions OUR sins. We're worse because not only do we perpetrate our offenses directly, but we also support other tyrants to do our dirty work for US.

PS: plain and simple: I loved "The Cat Who...." series and even collected them for a few years, until I realized I am just NOT a collector.

There's nothing like a nice cozy to snuggle up to.

Old 07-12-2014, 05:50 AM

Re: LookinForMayberry, LOL!

Such reads can definitely overwhelm the reader,and then the only cure is to take a break, by reading something lighter,like "The Cat Who" books.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books