Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2015, 01:44 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,890,741 times

Advertisements

I just started The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins.
Someone here had recommended it. So far, so good. I'm interested, and reluctant to put it down and go to sheep last night. I like that the characters, so far, live most of their lives in their heads.

Someone else had pointed out that although all the reviews seem to liken it to Gone Girl, it's really not like Gone Girl at all, except that it's a psychological thriller, it has "girl" in the title, and it's about a husband and wife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 05:05 PM

759 posts, read 3,143,808 times
I just started The Girl on a Train today on audio! So far halfway through the first disc, very good so far.

Just finished "The Paying Guests" which was one of the worst novels I had to listen to in a long time. In need of a good editor (most books lately need more sharp editing!) and the story went nowhere!

Would not recommend at all, I listened to it on my Kindle, so I increased the speed to 2x just to get through it!

Old 01-23-2015, 05:27 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
I'll be finishing Insurgent this morning and then I'll start No Place to Hide: Edward Snowden, the NSA, and the U.S. Surveillance State by Glenn Greenwald, which will surely tick me off

Old 01-23-2015, 06:00 AM

13,400 posts, read 28,719,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Gee, that *does* look like a good book. I wish that I'd seen it when it was a freebie. None of my libraries have it, but I've put it on my "to read" list and will buy it when I feel ready to read it. Did you know that it's the first book of a trilogy? That makes me nervous; I don't do serieseseseseses.

I'm kind of on a non-fiction kick. Sometimes I feel like "Why am I reading made-up stories when so many people have interesting real-life stories to tell?" (Then I snap out of it.)

Non-fiction on my list to read soon:
- The Unspeakable by Meghan Daum (essays)
- Fire Shut Up in My Bones by Charles M. Blow (memoir)
- Columbine by Dave Cullen (true crime)
- Fatal Vision by Joe McGinniss (true crime)
- Three Little Words by Ashley Rhodes-Courter (memoir)
- Off Course by Michelle Huneven (memoir)
- It Was Me All Along by Andie Mitchell (memoir)
- See How Small by Scott Blackwood (novel based on a true crime)
- Man v Nature by Diane Cook (okay, this is fiction AND short stories -- I just wanted to see if you were paying attention )
- Goodbye to All That by Sari Botton (various authors writing about New York)
- Never Can Say Goodbye by Sari Botton (various authors writing MORE stuff about New York)

Phew!

And after saying all of that, I'm starting a NOVEL (fiction!) tonight: The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P. by Adelle Waldman.
If you like that one, try Blind Faith by same author

http://www.amazon.com/Blind-Faith-Jo...ind+faith+book

recent news on killer
'Blind Faith' killer gets closer to freedom

My ex sister-in-law used to babysit his children

Old 01-23-2015, 08:33 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,844,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
I'll have to keep my eyes open for this. I bought Wolf Hall and the sequel based on the recommendations in this thread but it's sitting in my excessively large TBR pile (actually, it's more than one pile but I refuse to be more specific).

Thanks for mentioning it.

ETA:

I've marked my calender. Thank you.

It looks interesting, please let me know how you like it.

I finished ~Birdology: Adventures with Hip Hop Parrots, Cantankerous Cassowaries, Crabby Crows, Peripatetic Pigeons, Hens, Hawks, and Hummingbirds by Sy Montgomery and it is AMAZING! Each chapter is about a different type of bird,and each is filled with amazing,and fascinating info about them,plus some wonderful personal stories.

I think next to read will be~Club George: The Diary of a Central Park Bird-Watcher by Bob Levy

Old 01-23-2015, 09:02 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,844,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I'll be finishing Insurgent this morning and then I'll start No Place to Hide: Edward Snowden, the NSA, and the U.S. Surveillance State by Glenn Greenwald, which will surely tick me off
Oh you can be sure it will! Best to have a nice "light" book lined up to read next,lol! Have to say,though it made me admire Snowden and 'Whistleblowers' in general,even more. He gave up so much,to be able to live with his conscience[something most in government lack].

Old 01-23-2015, 01:51 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,183,718 times
The Looming Tower: Al-Qaeda and the Road to 9/11. An excellent book.

Old 01-23-2015, 02:22 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,599,549 times
Just finished The Miniaturist, which I LOVED!

A major plot point was that miniature houses were given to young wealthy young women in Holland in the 17th century before marriage so that they could experiment with design and play at family life.

This struck me because earlier in the year I had bought an exquisitely beautiful book: The Paper Doll's House of Miss Sarah Elizabeth Birdsall Otis. This was a real miniature house in paper form made by a young woman who lived on Long Island in 1884.

So now, I am wondering. Was the miniature house custom a real historic custom, or invented by the author (no notes in the book explained this.)

If so, did this Dutch custom continue down in time to Long Island, NY where wealthy families of Dutch descent lived and many other Dutch customs survived? (Yes, I now this is hard to believe in 2015, when LI is synonymous with tackiness.)

Some fun research to pursue! And I love connections between unconnected things.

Old 01-23-2015, 03:13 PM

59 posts, read 68,338 times
The Power of your Subconscious Mind by Joseph Murphy.

A pretty good book with some useful information.

Old 01-23-2015, 03:55 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merotti View Post
The Power of your Subconscious Mind by Joseph Murphy.

A pretty good book with some useful information.
Welcome to the Books forum, Merotti!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books