Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2012, 04:13 PM

417 posts, read 454,860 times

Advertisements

I just started THE BLACKEST BIRD Amazon.com: The Blackest Bird: A Novel of Murder in Nineteenth-Century New York (9780393330618): Joel Rose: Books which someone suggested a while ago on these forums. I am only about 1/4 through it, but it is very well written, and is a mystery (which I dont usually go for) laced with Edgar Allen Poe and others of the era. Very different, very good.
(thank you whoever it was who suggested it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 04:51 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salonva View Post
I just started THE BLACKEST BIRD Amazon.com: The Blackest Bird: A Novel of Murder in Nineteenth-Century New York (9780393330618): Joel Rose: Books which someone suggested a while ago on these forums. I am only about 1/4 through it, but it is very well written, and is a mystery (which I dont usually go for) laced with Edgar Allen Poe and others of the era. Very different, very good.
(thank you whoever it was who suggested it
It was me and thanks and i will definately take the thanks with the shameless plug LOL . This is one of my faves and i have been trying to find a copy for my collection . I hope you like it as much as i did .

Old 06-06-2012, 11:41 AM

777 posts, read 1,336,319 times
The Hunger Games. Easy read. Will probably finish the whole series within a week. Interesting story so far.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:44 PM

995 posts, read 1,115,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midge1021 View Post
I'm catching up with this thread, so sorry if this one is too late, but I LOVE Jane Austen. She's my favorite author. Something about the way she crafted her sentences. I'm never disappointed when I read an Austen. Happy reading!
If you like Austen, please try Georgette Heyer's Georgian & Regency novels. I've collected them all and re-read a lot. My favorites are The Grand Sophi, The Corinthian, The Quiet Gentleman... well, all of them actually.
The great thing is, they've all been re-printed in the last 10+ years, so are readily available despite being 60-90 years old.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:58 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midge1021 View Post
I'm catching up with this thread, so sorry if this one is too late, but I LOVE Jane Austen. She's my favorite author. Something about the way she crafted her sentences. I'm never disappointed when I read an Austen. Happy reading!
You are never too late to participate here.
I haven't read Jane since high school, and after embarrassing myself at a dinner party not long ago, confusing her with Louisa May Alcott! -- it's definitely time to go back and re-read her!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
"Elizabeth the Queen: The Life of a Modern Monarch" Sally Bedell Smith. ... I just started it. It's interesting so far but it's a very long book and I don't think I like the queen 688 pages worth. But we'll see.
Dawn, English Dave has some interesting comments on the Queen. I gather she is having a Jubilee this week, and you might get a little revving up on your Queen interest by checking out his posts.

I just finished Earlene Fowler's cozy mystery "Spider Web." Every time I read Earlene, as I am reading it I wonder why I pick up her books, and then at the end I feel better about it. Then, I forget and pick up her book the next time I see one, and the process repeats itself. It's just a cozy.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:37 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Dawn, English Dave has some interesting comments on the Queen. I gather she is having a Jubilee this week, and you might get a little revving up on your Queen interest by checking out his posts.
Who is English Dave? And where can I locate the chap?

Being Canadian, I realized how much I already knew about Queenie. Her lovely face (actually, she was very pretty when she was younger) is on Canadian money, still to this day, even though her "ruling" of Canada is strictly "ornamental," for lack of a better word (it's so early and I slept so poorly -- I know that's not the word I'm searching for in my brain). (And wasn't that the longest, most poorly constructed sentence ever?)

I'm jubilant about her Jubilee (not really, I just wanted to say that) and her reign really has been quite a ride for her. Interesting woman, to say the least. It was nice to read that she smiles a lot and has a genuine laugh.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:07 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
I'm getting ready (or "fixin' to" as we say in Texas) to read Wildflower Hill by Kimberley Freeman. The write up on amazon is interesting and the reviews are great.

I rarely read this genre but it sounds a bit like The Thornbirds.

Have any of you read it?

Old 06-07-2012, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I'm getting ready (or "fixin' to" as we say in Texas) to read Wildflower Hill by Kimberley Freeman. The write up on amazon is interesting and the reviews are great.

I rarely read this genre but it sounds a bit like The Thornbirds.

Have any of you read it?
That's TOTALLY not your type of book!

How did you hear about it and what made you want to read it?

I recently read Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See, and for some reason -- I guess because it's a tale of two friends -- your new book reminded me of that.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:59 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
That's TOTALLY not your type of book!

How did you hear about it and what made you want to read it?

I recently read Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See, and for some reason -- I guess because it's a tale of two friends -- your new book reminded me of that.
Now this is a book i could not really get into reading . I dont care much for the stories like that .

Old 06-07-2012, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Now this is a book i could not really get into reading . I dont care much for the stories like that .
Snow Fan, you mean? I loved it! I found it fascinating, assuming that at least some of the traditions that she talked about were true. I actually have two more of Lisa See's books on my Kindle (Shanghai Girls and Dreams of Joy) but I didn't want to read them in succession (or anytime near each other, for that matter), so they'll wait until I read many more things first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books