Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2014, 08:08 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,933,144 times

Advertisements

Just finished "Heft" by Liz Moore. Loved it even though it's not exactly up lifting...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 03:44 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
I've had Greg Isles on my list for a long time now. Maybe I will have to move him up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I always enjoy Greg Iles' books. Since you liked Natchez Burning I'll recommend another author whose books are just as good, IMHO. He has not written a lot of books. Simon Beckett. I can never guess the endings. Here is my personal favorite:
Sounds like another good one. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
Just finished The Hurricane Sisters by Dorothea Benton Frank. Now doing one of my quick reads with a paperback by Michael Connelly while I wait on John Grisham's new book Gray Mountain due out in October.
I like Michael Connelly. Have you read Sycamore Row by John Grisham?

I started The Last Child by John Hart.
http://www.amazon.com/Last-Child-Joh...the+last+child

I went to the library and picked up a few that were not ordered. Unfortunately now that I looked them up they don't look like they will be good books. Oh well. I will give them a try. I have 3 books to read first though

Have any of you read the Miss Julia books by Ann B Ross? It looks like a fun series with quirky characters.
This is the first in the series:
Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind: A Novel: Ann B. Ross: 9780688177751: Amazon.com: Books

I picked up Miss Julia's Marvelous Makeover.

Old 09-30-2014, 04:48 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,844,099 times
Finished the engrossing Dr. Mary's Monkey: How the Unsolved Murder of a Doctor, a Secret Laboratory in New Orleans and Cancer-Causing Monkey Viruses Are Linked to Lee Harvey Oswald, ... Assassination and Emerging Global Epidemics by Edward T. Haslam

Now I can't wait to get into~ The Skeleton Takes a Bow (A Family Skeleton Mystery) by Leigh Perry

The Skeleton Takes a Bow (A Family Skeleton Mystery): Leigh Perry: 9780425255834: Amazon.com: Books

The first one was a real hoot to read,and I hope this one is as much fun.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:59 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,604,506 times
I have a habit of just reading the first paragraph on the dust jacket telling what the book is about when I'm considering a book. I've found that those summaries sometimes give away too much of the plot and I want to discover the story by myself. Sometimes I regret that habit. For instance I picked up We Are Called to Rise by Laura McBride. The summary said a woman's marriage crumbles with a single confession, across town an immigrant family struggles to make a life in America... so far, so good, right? Domestic fiction.

But if I'd read on I would have seen the sentence that says this book breaks your heart. Oh yeah, ultimately it was about the fate of a child, and it WAS heartbreaking! Not my kind of read but I soldiered on with the help of a few Kleenexes. The ending was a little unbelievable but tied things up nicely.

Speaking of endings, one of the worst I've read I finished last night. It was Life Drawing by Robin Black. An artist and her writer husband lead a bucolic, solitary life in a cottage in the country, marred only by the wife's indiscretion five years earlier. Much soul searching, lots of guilt-ridden angst, and then a neighbor moves in next door and everything changes. And then the most shocking thing, totally out of the blue, happens at the end of the book and then that's it. End of story. I slept fine though.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:03 AM

11,758 posts, read 14,647,352 times
Right now I'm reading Lie Down in Darkness, William Styron's first novel. If it weren't for my book group I probably would have stopped by now.

Old 09-30-2014, 11:33 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,604,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Right now I'm reading Lie Down in Darkness, William Styron's first novel. If it weren't for my book group I probably would have stopped by now.
That's why I don't want to do book groups.
I know, my loss, but I don't want to read what I don't want to read.

Old 09-30-2014, 11:49 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,844,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
I also have never joined a book group/club for that exact reason.Plus my tastes are too eclectic,for instance I've read very few books that were ever on the NYT bestseller list. Most are just not my cuppa,same with Academy Award winning films UGH!

Old 09-30-2014, 06:44 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Jodi Picoult's new book is coming out in October. Leaving Time sounds like another good novel by Jodi.
I can't wait.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:51 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,168,175 times
Ace Atkins. The Forsaken.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:10 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
I also have never joined a book group/club for that exact reason.Plus my tastes are too eclectic,for instance I've read very few books that were ever on the NYT bestseller list. Most are just not my cuppa,same with Academy Award winning films UGH!
Ditto. Me makes three.

In the beginning, I would refuse to read a book if it had the "O" seal of approval on it, horrified that it would be interpreted that I was so stupid I had to have Oprah approve of a book before I would read it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books