Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2014, 01:48 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,605,052 times

Advertisements

Stayed up late and woke up early to finish reading Small Blessings by Martha Woodroof. What fun! Great characters on a picturesque college campus in New England - a long-suffering professor with a batty wife, the astute live-in mother-in-law, the new woman at the campus bookstore, and some other key characters, all wittily portrayed. The passage about the Dean of the college walking her greyhounds made me laugh out loud, I could visualize it so easily! The author's writing has a wonderful flow.

This is one of those light-hearted stories where you soon figure out everything will turn out well for everyone which never happens in real life, but we're willing to go along with it anyway. Very enjoyable domestic fiction and another first-time author, just as A Man Called Ove was. Hooray for these new authors!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 10:19 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,844,099 times
Loved The Cat Who Could Read Backwards,especially after the cat KoKo enters the story.Some really funny stuff there. I'm anxious to read the next in the series The Cat Who Ate Danish Modern where a second cat YumYum joins Jim Qwilleran and KoKo.

Right now I'm reading a sweet romance featuring a deaf ex-cop lady,and her hearing helper corgi dog.Not a lot of romance but I really like the characters and find the story interesting.

http://www.amazon.com/Heart-Listens-...1402686&sr=1-2

Also I totally loved this Brit series I watched on my library's DVDS,[believe the entire series can be found on youtube.] http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1077744/?ref_=nv_sr_1

http://video.yandex.ru/users/fotomugs/view/47/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XszG...45B6B1C874A6A2

so I'm thrilled to have just discovered a book trilogy!

http://www.amazon.com/Lark-Rise-Cand...Flora+Thompson

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 09-22-2014 at 10:35 AM..

Old 09-22-2014, 12:02 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,605,052 times
I LoveAutumn, Lark Rise to Candleford is such a captivating series, I loved every minute of it! It's also fun to recognize some of the same actors you see over and over again in these British productions. Love it, and glad you discovered it!

Old 09-22-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
I LoveAutumn, Lark Rise to Candleford is such a captivating series, I loved every minute of it! It's also fun to recognize some of the same actors you see over and over again in these British productions. Love it, and glad you discovered it!
Oh I know! I don't know of any more charming and endearing period drama,it broke my heart when it came to an end. I am so looking forward to reading the trilogy.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:20 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,350,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Loved The Cat Who Could Read Backwards,especially after the cat KoKo enters the story.Some really funny stuff there. I'm anxious to read the next in the series The Cat Who Ate Danish Modern where a second cat YumYum joins Jim Qwilleran and KoKo.

Right now I'm reading a sweet romance featuring a deaf ex-cop lady,and her hearing helper corgi dog.Not a lot of romance but I really like the characters and find the story interesting.

http://www.amazon.com/Heart-Listens-...1402686&sr=1-2

Also I totally loved this Brit series I watched on my library's DVDS,[believe the entire series can be found on youtube.] Lark Rise to Candleford (TV Series 2008

Хостинг Видео закрыт

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XszG...45B6B1C874A6A2

so I'm thrilled to have just discovered a book trilogy!

Lark Rise to Candleford: A Trilogy: Flora Thompson, Julie Neild, Richard Mabey: 9781567923636: Amazon.com: Books
Something to point out...I read in the lower star reviews that the trilogy is not the same as the series. Just so you know. I watch the series too - haven't watched it all yet - and have the trilogy as well.

Old 09-22-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
Something to point out...I read in the lower star reviews that the trilogy is not the same as the series. Just so you know. I watch the series too - haven't watched it all yet - and have the trilogy as well.
Yes I also noted that in the reviews and that book 3 is the closest to what we love about the series,so I remain hopeful,but of how I wish it had continued for many more years!

I just reserved the trilogy[in one volume] from my library,I'm sure everything else will be set aside when it comes in,lol!

Old 09-22-2014, 02:44 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,546,726 times
Quote:

I'm glad you are liking "The Cat Who...." stories.

I just went out to add "The Heart Listens" to my WTR list and discovered it is the third in a series:
Creature Comfort Series

Old 09-22-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I'm glad you are liking "The Cat Who...." stories.

I just went out to add "The Heart Listens" to my WTR list and discovered it is the third in a series:
Creature Comfort Series

Yes, and The Money Man is rated the highest. Now I will have to read the other two since they feature some of the same characters.

Old 09-23-2014, 05:40 AM

13,402 posts, read 28,721,568 times
I have Tortilla Curtain downloaded and toying with Telex from Cuba, then my sister has to ask if I read Ken Follets Trilogy Century as she is reading the first one, Fall of Giants.....so go check that out at Amazon and was sold...

So many books too little time

Old 09-23-2014, 06:46 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,546,726 times
Quote:
Yes, and The Money Man is rated the highest. Now I will have to read the other two since they feature some of the same characters.
I didn't catch that! Thank YOU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I have Tortilla Curtain downloaded and toying with Telex from Cuba, then my sister has to ask if I read Ken Follets Trilogy Century as she is reading the first one, Fall of Giants.....so go check that out at Amazon and was sold...

So many books too little time
"HAD we but world enough, and time, ..."
-- Andrew Marvell. 1621–1678 (To His Coy Mistress)

I'm past the 60% mark on "The Round House" and it IS getting more uncomfortable to read. I don't recall who said that earlier, but I understand the comment more, now. (sigh) I'm SO ready to move on, but am forcing myself to read it because I think I need to read it.

On the "Still Life": this re-listening has given me so many more insights to the characters and events that occur in later works that I am starting to see the advantage of returning to books previously read.

Seems like everything I do teaches me something new or previously missed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books