Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2015, 01:41 PM

5,010 posts, read 10,687,874 times

Advertisements

The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton. I love it, and I can't believe that I haven't read it before now. I downloaded it for free on my Kindle. In fact, whenever it is time for me to read something new, I just see what is free on Kindle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2015, 05:29 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
I'm still on The Lives of the Caesars but I think I did read a book or two in between. On Caligula: ...the astonishing mixture of imbecility and presumption, of moral turpitude and frantic extravagance...

We're having an election coming up here too.....

Old 08-08-2015, 05:50 PM

192 posts, read 322,020 times
The Bible in the book of I Kings.

Old 08-08-2015, 06:13 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I'm still on The Lives of the Caesars but I think I did read a book or two in between. On Caligula: ...the astonishing mixture of imbecility and presumption, of moral turpitude and frantic extravagance...

We're having an election coming up here too.....

Yes, the idiots have already come out in their finery here, too.

I think I must be suffering from multiple personality. After dropping "The White Lioness" and giving it a bad review on Goodreads, I go back the next day and turn it on again. Suddenly it is interesting and even getting suspenseful.

I never know what I am going to do from one moment to the next!

Meanwhile, "Bellman and Black" has been very interesting, and now Setterfield has killed off most of the characters and intuition tells me the "real story" is about to begin. (Probably it tells one all about that on the book description, but I try not to read those.)

Old 08-09-2015, 09:10 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
I've been struggling to find a good book -- for me, I mean -- to read. I started and stopped so many, I was afraid that they'd all be like that. I have so many on my "to be read" list and on my Kindle, but nothing was calling to me. I needed some, as Lost Roses told me it's called, "domestic fiction" to read. I knew that would sit well with me. But what?

I've never even read Revolutionary Road (it's on my Kindle, though; been there for years) but I fixated myself on Richard Yates. I'd never read anything by him, actually, but I had a hunch that he was what I needed. I just finished The Easter Parade (I loved it!) and I'm about to start A Good School. Also on my Richard Yates list is Revolutionary Road (of course), Disturbing the Peace, and Young Hearts Crying. For now, though: A Good School, which led me to put A Separate Peace by John Knowles on my list -- it's been called an American classic and the quintessential coming of age novel [Netwit, do you know this one?]). It also led me to add Mrs. Bridge AND Mr. Bridge (both by Evan Connell) to my TBR list because, y'know how it goes on Amazon: click, click (oooohhhh!!!), click (ohhhh!), click, click, etc, etc, etc.

And so my TBR list got exponentially longer.

For now, though, like I said, A Good School by Richard Yates, whose writing reminds me of Brian Morton's (Jazzcat, you must like Richard Yates, I'm guessing).

Old 08-09-2015, 11:12 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I've been struggling to find a good book -- for me, I mean -- to read. I started and stopped so many, I was afraid that they'd all be like that. I have so many on my "to be read" list and on my Kindle, but nothing was calling to me. I needed some, as Lost Roses told me it's called, "domestic fiction" to read. I knew that would sit well with me. But what?

I've never even read Revolutionary Road (it's on my Kindle, though; been there for years) but I fixated myself on Richard Yates. I'd never read anything by him, actually, but I had a hunch that he was what I needed. I just finished The Easter Parade (I loved it!) and I'm about to start A Good School. Also on my Richard Yates list is Revolutionary Road (of course), Disturbing the Peace, and Young Hearts Crying. For now, though: A Good School, which led me to put A Separate Peace by John Knowles on my list -- it's been called an American classic and the quintessential coming of age novel [Netwit, do you know this one?]). It also led me to add Mrs. Bridge AND Mr. Bridge (both by Evan Connell) to my TBR list because, y'know how it goes on Amazon: click, click (oooohhhh!!!), click (ohhhh!), click, click, etc, etc, etc.

For now, though, like I said, A Good School by Richard Yates, whose writing reminds me of Brian Morton's (Jazzcat, you must like Richard Yates, I'm guessing).
A Separate Peace is an exceptional book, IMO. I read it about 30 years ago and it has stayed with me.

Old 08-09-2015, 01:42 PM

The intro to a review that I read:

Quote:
Dear publishing world, for the love of all that is holy, can we stop referring to any book with a scintilla of suspense in it as "the next Gone Girl"? Honestly, these books have very little in common (except for one or two unlikable characters), so the comparison either sets up unfair expectations or might cause those who disliked the original book to pass this one by. And they shouldn't.
Amen.

Old 08-09-2015, 01:51 PM

Quote:

Never heard of A Separate Peace. I've sent a sample to my kindle. My husband came home from the hospital today and I've had little reading time. It's been a crazy week.

What I don't like about Amazon is that I can't seem to find when it was first published - Ketabcha having read it 30 years ago. I always like to see when a book was first published. It could be that I am just not seeing some place that is obvious to everyone else where they put that date.

Old 08-09-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
The intro to a review that I read:

Amen.
I have noticed that too. I haven't read Gone Girl but it's getting irritating to see every book compared to it.

Last edited by netwit; 08-09-2015 at 02:38 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 08-09-2015, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Never heard of A Separate Peace. I've sent a sample to my kindle. My husband came home from the hospital today and I've had little reading time. It's been a crazy week.

What I don't like about Amazon is that I can't seem to find when it was first published - Ketabcha having read it 30 years ago. I always like to see when a book was first published. It could be that I am just not seeing some place that is obvious to everyone else where they put that date.
Oh! I hope that everything's okay!!!

I know what you mean about the original publishing date. I've found the same problem and often have to use Google to find out. Sometimes, though, the Look Inside pages will include the Copyright page, where you can see the original publishing date. Sometimes not. In this case, yes. 1959.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books