Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2012, 11:50 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,732,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDBaumgardner View Post
Your much larger, more culturally blessed RIVAL to the west, is the REVIVAL CITY of the ages ... CLEVELAND

Not to detract from Pittsburgh's obvious success, but your blunt statement is rather dis-ingenuous ... very short on the facts!
So is yours. I wouldn't say that 396,815 is much larger than 305,704, nor would I say that 2,881,937 is much larger than 2,447,393 either.

As for being "culturally blessed," that's subjective, but I'd put Pittsburgh's cultural assets and philanthropic foundations up against any other similar-sized metropolitan area in the United States.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 11:55 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinciFan View Post
And what makes Cincinnati less deserving than other cities? Why should Cincy be ignored?

The residents of Cincinnati voted TWICE in favor of the streetcar, despite the media's constant anti-streetcar articles/commentaryand straight up lies. I would say the people want it.
I'm saying if there are vocal enough opponents of it in Cincinnati, then maybe cities that have a much larger proportion of people clamoring for funding should get funding instead. Two referendums in two years span from each other to STOP the project is a bit much (though both ended up being defeated by fairly narrow margins).

Of course, I hope it gets off the ground and everything works swimmingly and many of the naysayers change their tune when it's up and running.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:45 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,511,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutus of Board View Post
The only legit rust belt revival is Pittsburgh.

'Naptown to Super City' | Video Library | Indianapolis Star

Watch this video THEN say that

Old 05-04-2012, 08:25 PM

198 posts, read 444,542 times
Cool story bro. Indianapolis is not, however, rust belt, something you should be thankful for. Go promote your city some place else.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:34 PM

198 posts, read 444,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDBaumgardner View Post
Your much larger, more culturally blessed RIVAL to the west, is the REVIVAL CITY of the ages ... CLEVELAND

Not to detract from Pittsburgh's obvious success, but your blunt statement is rather dis-ingenuous ... very short on the facts!
I disagree. Cleveland has investment projects and a nice downtown, but it also has massive stretches of blighted neighborhoods, with continued high levels of population loss. Cleveland is something in between Pittsburgh and Detroit. Cleveland has had many alleged comebacks over the past 35 years, but continues to be a sick man with serious challenges. Pittsburgh's overall health is much better than Cleveland's.

I am not from Pittsburgh, btw, and truthfully don't even give a **** about the city. But unlike every one else posting here I'm trying to answer the question objectively.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Cool story bro. Indianapolis is not, however, rust belt, something you should be thankful for. Go promote your city some place else.
speak of the devil for everyone on City-Data.com

Indianapolis was very rust belt. Broad is correct in that sense. By mid to late 1970s indianapolis and detroit were on parallel paths. One did something different and remade itseld and the other stayed status quo and fell. Even today u can see a lot of remnants in indianapolis. The city was also following the similar patterns of all rust belts. Strong democratic base, tax and sopend, republian suburbs. The gop one upped them by forming unigov which gave the gop control as it annexed former suburban areas into the blue collar city proper. That was in 1967. If it weren't for unigov indianapolis would be democrat from top to bottom. Even now the city is about 50-50 while the donut counties r strictly republican. *Quote Msamhunter*

If you failed to read what Msam said about Indy before.
If your not from Indianapolis plz save yourself from looking stupid.

Last edited by Broadrippleguy; 05-04-2012 at 09:54 PM..

Old 05-04-2012, 08:52 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,872,410 times
Quote:
I disagree. Cleveland has investment projects and a nice downtown, but it also has massive stretches of blighted neighborhoods, with continued high levels of population loss. Cleveland is something in between Pittsburgh and Detroit. Cleveland has had many alleged comebacks over the past 35 years, but continues to be a sick man with serious challenges. Pittsburgh's overall health is much better than Cleveland's.

I am not from Pittsburgh, btw, and truthfully don't even give a **** about the city. But unlike every one else posting here I'm trying to answer the question objectively.
Good observation....I don't know Pittsburgh (or even Detroit) enough to verify right or wrong, but I find it true.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
speak of the devil for everyone on City-Data.com

Indianapolis was very rust belt. Broad is correct in that sense. By mid to late 1970s indianapolis and detroit were on parallel paths. One did something different and remade itseld and the other stayed status quo and fell. Even today u can see a lot of remnants in indianapolis. The city was also following the similar patterns of all rust belts. Strong democratic base, tax and sopend, republian suburbs. The gop one upped them by forming unigov which gave the gop control as it annexed former suburban areas into the blue collar city proper. That was in 1967. If it weren't for unigov indianapolis would be democrat from top to bottom. Even now the city is about 50-50 while the donut counties r strictly republican.

If you failed to read what Msam said about Indy before.
If your not from Indianapolis plz save yourself from looking stupid.
Say something negative about Indy....because I haven't seen any objectivity from you since I've seen your name on this forum. People (like me) are just going to think you are a rabble rousing homer every time you speak if you can't put things into perspective.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Say something negative about Indy....because I haven't seen any objectivity from you since I've seen your name on this forum. People (like me) are just going to think you are a rabble rousing homer every time you speak if you can't put things into perspective.
lol i dont need to explain things.
That movie explains it for me
Now sit back pop the popcorn and watch a truely remarkable urban transformation

Old 05-04-2012, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
lol i dont need to explain things.
That movie explains it for me
Now sit back pop the popcorn and watch a truely remarkable urban transformation
Soooooo you can't say a bad thing about Indy? Okay....don't say I didn't give you a chance to be credible!

P.S. loaded the video but saw it was an hour, and decided to just peek and the beginning and end and didn't get much. TOO LONG man!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City