Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2022, 01:52 AM

6,750 posts, read 6,736,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
Russia fever. You could have picked Cuba or China or many other countries but Russia is it. Comeback in 2 months and see if you agree with me.
Cuba and China don't have troll farms posting garbage on US message boards like Russia does. The only fever in Russia is the perpetually pathetic state of its economy.

In two months, I will not agree with the statement that a country with 340 million and 50 states can't be polled. The reality is the GOP is out of step with mainstream views on abortion, and many of its candidates realize that.

Old 09-06-2022, 03:06 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,646,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
so you speak for women? how many women you know personally that they will share how they vote with you? and which Republicans want to ban birth control? is this a DNC ad?
I have heard women talk they don't want government control on their bodies or the government law intruding in their bedrooms.

Blake Masters, a Republican candidate for Senator in Arizona, said that he would only vote for Supreme Court justices who would overturn cases that protect the right to contraceptives. Masters wants access to contraceptives to be a state-level decision.

The governor of Mississippi would not rule out supporting bills that would at least ban some forms of birth control.

Lots or Republicans either agree or don't want to admit that they feel raped sub teen pregnant girls should have to under the law try to go through the pregnancy.

So, unless you wish abortion and/or birth control to be banned, why be foolish enough to take a chance to vote for any Republicans? Many of them want to vote for a national ban on abortion.

Old 09-06-2022, 06:50 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,930,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Cuba and China don't have troll farms posting garbage on US message boards like Russia does. The only fever in Russia is the perpetually pathetic state of its economy.

In two months, I will not agree with the statement that a country with 340 million and 50 states can't be polled. The reality is the GOP is out of step with mainstream views on abortion, and many of its candidates realize that.
Since WWII, Russia has always been our greatest threat.

Go back to Ronald Reagan who saw this threat clearly in the 1980's, long before Russia (then the USSR) had access to propaganda tools like the Internet. The Active Measures program was an attempt to derail their disinformation campaign.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active..._Working_Group

Putin has always wanted to "make Russia great again" by returning to the former glories of the hammer and sickle days. Does anyone really think that Russia has forgotten Kruschev's vow?

Nikita Khrushchev, 1956:

“We will take America without firing a shot. We do not have to invade the U.S. We will destroy you from within....”

"About the capitalist states, it doesn't depend on you whether or not we exist... Whether you like it or not, history is on our side. We will bury you."

They are not stupid they understand that the most effective method to destroy us is to poison our social discourse, to drive the wedges deeper and deeper. They don't have to break into election systems and change votes, when it is an easy matter for their many troll farms to modify minds.

Old 09-06-2022, 06:52 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,014,113 times
It has been interesting to see how some Republicans running for office have removed references to their utter opposition to abortion under any circumstance from their campaign websites.

Indeed, the other day Governor Abbott said that women whom are raped, may take the Plan B pill the next day, then go merrily their way.

Of course, Mr. Abbott is thereby getting some of his Christian base upset, those that do not believe in any type of contraceptives or using any drug that would prevent pregnancy.

Examples of Republicans changing their campaign websites:

Nancy Pace, District One, South Carolina.

Blake Masters of Arizona.

Zach Nunn of Iowa.

Scott Jensen of Minnesota.

etc.

Mind, these people are not suddenly claiming that the Dodd decision was wrong, but they are generally backing off from prior assertions that there be NO exceptions, such as to save the mother's life.

I doubt it will work.

Old 09-06-2022, 06:59 AM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
The overall result of the midterm elections (e.g., large gains in the House) is often seen as a reflection on the public's view of the current president and the president's party.
Exactly. The November elections will be the barometer for where we are. Most of us republicans would vote for a balloon on a stick, rather than a democrat at this point. The country’s a mess. This is not a one or two issue thing. We all hold our noses about something we don’t like, but we need to keep our eyes on the big picture.

Old 09-06-2022, 07:04 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,930,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Exactly. The November elections will be the barometer for where we are. Most of us republicans would vote for a balloon on a stick, rather than a democrat at this point. The country’s a mess. This is not a one or two issue thing. We all hold our noses about something we don’t like, but we need to keep our eyes on the big picture.
I disagree. Most of the 30% of Republicans that reject Trump's Big Lie will not vote for him in 2024 or his puppets in 2022. They will either vote Independent or they won't vote at all. That's the problem with building a political movement based on a lie - particularly when the lie requires one to believe it is OK to overturn the results of a certified election. It works well to unite the gullible, but it insults those that wish to think for themselves.

Old 09-06-2022, 07:22 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,014,113 times
After winning his primary, Dr. Oz deleted all reference to Mr. Trump from his campaign website:

https://sports.yahoo.com/dr-oz-backs...210032959.html

Yet, when Mr. Trump decided to hold a rally in Pennsylvania the other day, Dr. Oz felt that he had no choice to attend and be seen photographed next to Mr. Trump, which photographs have been all over the Pennsylvania media. Oh, and by Mr. Fetterman.

Old 09-06-2022, 07:48 AM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
After winning his primary, Dr. Oz deleted all reference to Mr. Trump from his campaign website:

https://sports.yahoo.com/dr-oz-backs...210032959.html

Yet, when Mr. Trump decided to hold a rally in Pennsylvania the other day, Dr. Oz felt that he had no choice to attend and be seen photographed next to Mr. Trump, which photographs have been all over the Pennsylvania media. Oh, and by Mr. Fetterman.
Dr. Oz went show biz years ago. I’m sure he still has a bunch of Lib friends. Anyway, I’ll vote for Trump if he’s the candidate, but I hope he isn’t, and I definitely get why a candidate would rather distance himself from the drama.

Old 09-06-2022, 08:06 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,246,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
It has been interesting to see how some Republicans running for office have removed references to their utter opposition to abortion under any circumstance from their campaign websites.

Indeed, the other day Governor Abbott said that women whom are raped, may take the Plan B pill the next day, then go merrily their way.

Of course, Mr. Abbott is thereby getting some of his Christian base upset, those that do not believe in any type of contraceptives or using any drug that would prevent pregnancy.

Examples of Republicans changing their campaign websites:

Nancy Pace, District One, South Carolina.

Blake Masters of Arizona.

Zach Nunn of Iowa.

Scott Jensen of Minnesota.

etc.

Mind, these people are not suddenly claiming that the Dodd decision was wrong, but they are generally backing off from prior assertions that there be NO exceptions, such as to save the mother's life.

I doubt it will work.
There are ads with Blake Masters speaking - his own words - that he wants national bans on abortion. Kari Lake is getting it too with clips of her supporting an Arizona law that would jail women for seeking abortions. It is hard in todays video world to scrub your image and reinvent yourself for the general election.

Old 09-06-2022, 08:11 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,876,449 times
Quote:
Quote:
Dr. Oz went show biz years ago. I’m sure he still has a bunch of Lib friends. Anyway, I’ll vote for Trump if he’s the candidate, but I hope he isn’t, and I definitely get why a candidate would rather distance himself from the drama.
You have just identified the problem for the GOP. It's voters like you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections