Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2019, 03:20 PM

4,692 posts, read 1,164,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
And that includes the sale of land - the reform that in DKM's parallel world, Ukrainians couldn't wait to happen.
As it turns out, ( obviously,) about 70% of Ukrainians are actually against it, as the recent polls show.
Actually several agro corporations like a UkrLandFarming for example almost hold agricultural land in long term rent way. What will be change I don't imagine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93VUeagH0vU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2019, 03:26 PM

4,692 posts, read 1,164,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
The land reform is necessary to increase Ukraine's agricultural performance. The current system benefits corrupt insiders (what's new there) who have access to farmland through leases. No surprise here that Ukraine's major competitor on the grain export market would be pushing disinformation about the land reform process. Wow, now they measure the results of propaganda on Youtube by how many likes their comments can get. They just cannot allow Ukraine to flourish...
You know prices for local (Ukrainian) food higher then in Poland or Czech Republic. Thus, I don't wanna see how politics supported Ukrainian tycoons kills local agriculture

Old 09-25-2019, 04:10 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,853,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Solano View Post
You know prices for local (Ukrainian) food higher then in Poland or Czech Republic. Thus, I don't wanna see how politics supported Ukrainian tycoons kills local agriculture
Then you should support the land reform. Increased production means lower prices. Or move west of the Dnieper

Old 09-25-2019, 05:53 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,435,134 times
Quote:
Then you should support the land reform. Increased production means lower prices. Or move west of the Dnieper
As usual you don't think things through. Increased production of what? Pineapples, bananas? sunflowers? corn?

Halva and cornbread are not enough.

Old 09-25-2019, 05:58 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,435,134 times
Quote:
LOL I wonder why you picked her... a shocker you would swing behind the candidate who sympathizes with Putin.

I guess we can put the Bidengate behind us

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvRIYS0ec0Q
On the one hand even if she is sincere in what she says she isn't in charge if she became president anyway. Our "democracy" is a farce.

Old 09-25-2019, 07:36 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,921,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
As usual you don't think things through. Increased production of what? Pineapples, bananas? sunflowers? corn?

Halva and cornbread are not enough.
apparently potatoes and milk have all the nutrients needed to sustain a person, plus add some multivitamins into the mix and you are golden.

Worked out pretty well for the Irish, well until it didn't.

Now that I think about it, it seems Ireland and Ukraine have a lot of parallels. Ireland was largely an agricultural country and after gaining independence in the 20s, Ireland was plagued by poverty until about the 90s, they experienced mass emigration with a population of 6,528,799 in 1841, then fell to 2,955,107 in 1945 which then the population growth recovered and is now 4,921,500. they have a contentious relationship with Britain, their previous overlords, including the 30 year period between the 60s and 90s known as the troubles where there was a nationalist uprising against the British in northern Ireland.

I wonder if Ukraine's future timeline plays out similarly? Ukraine gained independence in 1991, so in about 2060 Ukraine will catch up with the rest of Europe, and this ethnic feud with Russia will last until about 2044-54? It's population will decline/stagnate for the next 70 or so years and Crimea will remain part of Russia. Though I don't think Russian will be as widely spoken as English is in Ireland, actually kind of surprised Ireland hasn't done more to promote it's native language considering it's history.

On the other side of the conflict Russia's global power will slowly wain as did Britain's, (though still retain as a major power) and as Britain got replaced by the US which it helped to create, so too Russia will get replaced by China (which at this point pretty much already has), which it helped create. Also Russia's CIS/union state/Eurasian union parallels the British commonwealth. And in both instances Ireland/Ukraine are not/will not be part of these organizations.

Old 09-25-2019, 10:12 PM

26,777 posts, read 22,529,485 times
Quote:
LOL I wonder why you picked her... a shocker you would swing behind the candidate who sympathizes with Putin.

I guess we can put the Bidengate behind us

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvRIYS0ec0Q

We can?
I am not so sure any longer.

See, when Zelensky is saying in that video above that "nobody can put a pressure on me - I am the president of the independent Ukraine," no one can take it seriously, since everyone knows by now that Ukraine is an American puppet.

I didn't watch yet what spin the officialdom of Russia is putting on the latest events.

But as for Trump/Republicans here in US - there we go;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPsi..._XiqJz2R6A8z5I

Old 09-25-2019, 10:26 PM

26,777 posts, read 22,529,485 times
Quote:
The land reform is necessary to increase Ukraine's agricultural performance. The current system benefits corrupt insiders (what's new there) who have access to farmland through leases.

But you DO understand that Ukrainians don't have money to buy their own land, so it will go to foreigners for cheap.

You DO understand that part, don't you?

I have no idea who is currently leasing that land, what "insiders" you are talking about, however whoever it is, "leasing" means that Ukrainians still own their own land at least.

Quote:
No surprise here that Ukraine's major competitor on the grain export market would be pushing disinformation about the land reform process. Wow, now they measure the results of propaganda on Youtube by how many likes their comments can get. They just cannot allow Ukraine to flourish...
No one is pushing any "disinformation" as you falsely claim here as usual.

And "Strana UA" is way too left to push Kremlin's interests.

(Now Medvedchuk and Boiko - that's more like it.
They represent Kremlin's agenda - that I can see.)

As for the "land reforms" - I think Ukraine needs the referendum.
Let people decide whether they are ready to part with their land.

I think it's in their constitution after all - that land belongs "to the people."

Last edited by erasure; 09-25-2019 at 11:52 PM..

Old 09-26-2019, 11:08 AM
DKM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
But you DO understand that Ukrainians don't have money to buy their own land, so it will go to foreigners for cheap.

You DO understand that part, don't you?
The draft law says foreigners cannot buy agricultural land. You DO understand that part, don't you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I have no idea who is currently leasing that land, what "insiders" you are talking about, however whoever it is, "leasing" means that Ukrainians still own their own land at least.
I suggest educating yourself on the details of the current system and why it breeds corruption and inefficiency.

If you want a referendum on land fine, but the only people who should vote on it are landholders. Non farmland owners should not impose their will on farmland owners. There is a reason why no other country blocks the sale of farmland.

Old 09-26-2019, 11:20 AM
DKM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
apparently potatoes and milk have all the nutrients needed to sustain a person, plus add some multivitamins into the mix and you are golden.

Worked out pretty well for the Irish, well until it didn't.

Now that I think about it, it seems Ireland and Ukraine have a lot of parallels. Ireland was largely an agricultural country and after gaining independence in the 20s, Ireland was plagued by poverty until about the 90s, they experienced mass emigration with a population of 6,528,799 in 1841, then fell to 2,955,107 in 1945 which then the population growth recovered and is now 4,921,500. they have a contentious relationship with Britain, their previous overlords, including the 30 year period between the 60s and 90s known as the troubles where there was a nationalist uprising against the British in northern Ireland.

I wonder if Ukraine's future timeline plays out similarly? Ukraine gained independence in 1991, so in about 2060 Ukraine will catch up with the rest of Europe, and this ethnic feud with Russia will last until about 2044-54? It's population will decline/stagnate for the next 70 or so years and Crimea will remain part of Russia. Though I don't think Russian will be as widely spoken as English is in Ireland, actually kind of surprised Ireland hasn't done more to promote it's native language considering it's history.

On the other side of the conflict Russia's global power will slowly wain as did Britain's, (though still retain as a major power) and as Britain got replaced by the US which it helped to create, so too Russia will get replaced by China (which at this point pretty much already has), which it helped create. Also Russia's CIS/union state/Eurasian union parallels the British commonwealth. And in both instances Ireland/Ukraine are not/will not be part of these organizations.
Agree on the parallels but also some very important differences: Unlike Ireland and Britain, Ukraine and Russia share similar ethnic, cultural and religious roots. There is no analogy to Northern Ireland in Ukraine... sort of but not really the Donbas. The independence of Ireland happened 25 years before the peak of UK's empire, not after. Geographically Ireland is economically more dependent on trade with the UK whereas Ukraine has 6 or 7 other neighbors besides Russia, and the whole of continental Europe connected by train.

Ireland gained financially because of the EU and the EU also helped break down the border between Ireland and Northern Ireland. The UK being associated with the EU is pretty far from the situation with Russia who is hostile to the EU. Finally, the fight between Ukraine and Russia is rooted in governance models more than anything. Ukrainians no longer want to be a Russian colony and reject Putin's style of corrupt governance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe