Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2019, 10:10 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,386,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post

The global spirit was acquired over time. It was not inherent in either Britain or the US from the very beginning. In fact, the existence of Brexit and Trump, attests to that being a point of friction.
Nevertheless, and this is a hard pill to swallow for a lot of Slavs (including my family), the Anglo world is just flat out better.
I have absolutely no desire to live in any Eastern European country whatsoever and neither do most of the immigrants who come here, despite what they might claim.

Do you know what my personal opinion really is? My opinion is that the weakness, if to talk about weaknesses, of the people of Eastern Europe is, in my opinion, the occasional excessive prejudice (also applies to my nation). Ofc not that everyone in East Europe owns it, but it seems to me that the Anglo people, for example, can be less prejudiced. For example, this forum shows that young people from materially affluent eastern Europeans, who have the wealth of their families what enables them to travel around the world, eg today in Korea, Incheon, tomorrow somewhere in Bolivia, are a bit more prone to it. But once again - this is not the case for everyone, and undoubtedly the people of Eastern Europe also have many strengths.

Quote:
As a mentioned in another earlier post, Ukraine is the only Soviet Republic outside of Kazakhstan that is of any real significance. They've got the land, a large population and were both important places during the days of the USSR.
Kazakhstan is a very large on the world map but sparsely populated country. In fact, Uzbekistan has larger population. I don't know why Kazakhstan is so famous, may be because of Borat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2019, 02:25 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,498,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anhityk View Post
Do you know what my personal opinion really is? My opinion is that the weakness, if to talk about weaknesses, of the people of Eastern Europe is, in my opinion, the occasional excessive prejudice (also applies to my nation). Ofc not that everyone in East Europe owns it, but it seems to me that the Anglo people, for example, can be less prejudiced. For example, this forum shows that young people from materially affluent eastern Europeans, who have the wealth of their families what enables them to travel around the world, eg today in Korea, Incheon, tomorrow somewhere in Bolivia, are a bit more prone to it. But once again - this is not the case for everyone, and undoubtedly the people of Eastern Europe also have many strengths.
No doubt about it. A lot of bright people came from the various Eastern European countries, like Tesla.

Quote:
Kazakhstan is a very large on the world map but sparsely populated country. In fact, Uzbekistan has larger population. I don't know why Kazakhstan is so famous, may be because of Borat?
Borat could be one of the reasons. As they say, any publicity whether good or bad is publicity in the end. But, I was thinking more along the lines of how it was the home of the Soviet space program and still to this day acts as a launch point to the ISS. Then there’s the futuristic looking capital city of Astana, which has gotten coverage for its cool architecture.

Old 11-13-2019, 02:40 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,022,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anhityk View Post

Google Aidana Medenova ...stop relying on western media stereotypes like "Borat", not only is this inaccurate but also very dated.

They're also rich in natural resources like gas and what not.

Old 11-13-2019, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
Google Aidana Medenova ...stop relying on western media stereotypes like "Borat", not only is this inaccurate but also very dated.

They're also rich in natural resources like gas and what not.
You’re reading way too much into it, about Borat. It was nothing more than a silly movie that tries to poke fun at the vanity of American culture. It’s not a mockery of Kazakhstan. The movie was shot in Romania.

Old 11-13-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
You’re reading way too much into it, about Borat. It was nothing more than a silly movie that tries to poke fun at the vanity of American culture. It’s not a mockery of Kazakhstan. The movie was shot in Romania.

Oh yeah I forgot, it's always fine to mock eastern europe, the slavs and the jews but never when it's about a Muslim country like Kazakstan...

Like I said it's very old movie and Anhituk like many in eastern europe still base things on it. Consider the movie "Hostel", a horror from 2005 or so about Eastern Europe and people still think it's accurate reflection of reality. Or "Eurotrip", another old one.

Old 11-13-2019, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
Oh yeah I forgot, it's always fine to mock eastern europe, the slavs and the jews but never when it's about a Muslim country like Kazakstan...

Like I said it's very old movie and Anhituk like many in eastern europe still base things on it. Consider the movie "Hostel", a horror from 2005 or so about Eastern Europe and people still think it's accurate reflection of reality. Or "Eurotrip", another old one.
I haven’t seen Hostel so I can’t comment on that one, but Eurotrip is just a goofy movie about a bunch of American tourists who travel to Europe and don’t really know what to expect. That’s why they show the nude beach with all those old dudes.

Old 11-13-2019, 03:16 PM

^ Total thread derailiation but always thought the Italian stereotype was funny despite being "too much":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_KACgT-ZD0

Old 11-13-2019, 04:32 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,446,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Solano View Post
Economic slavery has existed for a long time. It is the poorest country in Europe. And the only way to modernization is the arrival of large corporations and the complete reformatting of the political and economic paradigm in the country.
No. The only way to do it RIGHT is for Ukraine to pull itself up by its bootstraps whille keeping the wolves at bay. Ukraine needs to make its own corporations, it's own businesses, its own rules. Ukraine does not need to buy combines from Germany, America or Russia, it needs to make its own. Ukraine needs to make its own locomotives, not buy them from GE.
Ukraine needs to stand on its own, for its own sake.

Old 11-13-2019, 05:42 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,446,414 times
I find this interesting.

https://www.rt.com/news/473355-ukrai...ce-kolomoysky/

I wonder what this guys agenda is.

Old 11-13-2019, 06:42 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,303,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
I find this interesting.

https://www.rt.com/news/473355-ukrai...ce-kolomoysky/

I wonder what this guys agenda is.

I just read that too....talk about a 180 degree turn!!!

Now he wants a military alliance with Moscow because "they are stronger anyway" and a loan from Russia.

I think the agenda is that he does not want to too many stones turned investigating corruption as a condition for further IMF loans and, in general, people are finally realizing that Ukraine is nothing more than a cheap pawn to the West.
The land sales legislation is generating a lot of uproar as well....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe