Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2022, 03:02 PM

17,614 posts, read 17,656,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
It’s a rare thing for New York Times, CNN, and other American News sources to agree with FOX News in one major story. If you can show one reputable non-Russian aligned source then I’ll consider your view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2022, 03:21 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
It’s a rare thing for New York Times, CNN, and other American News sources to agree with FOX News in one major story. If you can show one reputable non-Russian aligned source then I’ll consider your view.

"KYIV, Ukraine (AP) — A Russian attack severely damaged a children’s hospital and maternity ward in the besieged port city of Mariupol, Ukrainian officials said Wednesday, as citizens trying to escape shelling on the outskirts of Kyiv streamed toward the capital amid warnings from the West that Moscow’s invasion is about to take a more brutal and indiscriminate turn. "

That's not reputable source either, sorry.

Old 03-09-2022, 03:25 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,588,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
My "Fatherland" doesn't know about my existence - I am a free particle floating through the space)))

And I'd be proud of my "mongol heritage" - I just don't have any I can think of.
But I have plenty of other ones just to please you.

But I know that this subject is of utmost interest to you and the Nazi brethren of Ukraine.

So we will definitely get to back to it, no worries.
you have something like 20000 messages here on CD alone, and I have a hunch it is not the only platform you patronize, the subject of Ukraine absolutely dominates your messages. If it is not for money and the Fatherland, it is the most severe case of Ukraine induced psychosis on CD. Ukraine induced psychosis is a rather typical Russian psychiatric condition, there are a few other Russian nazi contenders here, but you are #1 by far. Do you want to talk about it? Is it childhood trauma? Have you been reading soviet/russian imperial propaganda under a blanket in a dark room a little too much? Talk about it, we'll make it better, and a shrink will fix the rest. Don't give up on your mental health.

Old 03-09-2022, 03:27 PM

6,791 posts, read 4,233,580 times
Quote:

That's not really true. Their editorial content is obviously very different, but the newsrooms use fundamentally the same sources especially for foreign news. That being international news agencies such as AP, AFP or Reuters, foreign news sources such as the BBC, freelance reporter networks, the communications teams from government bodies such as the State Dept., the Pentagon or the White House and of course social media.

The article you quoted was based on an AP report, but said AP report (and pretty much all other stories I read on the subject) got their information primarily from two original sources - the Ukrainian President and a local Ukrainian government official. Neither one of course being uninterested parties in the situation.

But that is a reality of war coverage - most of it is uncorroborated by neutral sources and instead relies on information provided by one of the participating parties in the conflict. When you read our news media though one could get the impression that only one side is putting out any sort of information, namely the Ukrainian side. That is naturally not the case as we can see on this forum where Russian stuff is posted all the time by Russian posters.

However, editorially, we know that our news media will mostly discount anything the Russians publish as propaganda while they are more than happy to use the Ukrainian government posts on Twitter or Facebook as sources for reports. Obviously this is because most Western observers sympathize with Ukraine and their efforts and want to assist them in any way they can. I can certainly understand that point of view, and in some ways, it is indeed inevitable.

But one consequence of that approach is that our media is anything but an uninvolved neutral third party in this. Our media is quite blatantly acting as an information arm of the Ukrainian government because - and I think this is indisputable - most people in our media think Ukraine are the good guys and helping them is a good cause. They might be right, but it's sort of beside the point whether they are or not, because they will certainly ensure that if you believe their reporting you will agree with them in the end.

And FWIW I am not making a statement on that accusation of Russia intentionally attacking a maternity hospital. It could be true for all I know, but I do know I'm only getting presented the Ukrainian government's version of events pretty much from start to finish. And that is the Ukrainian government that is accusing us of being cowards etc. for not getting involved in a potential nuclear war with Russia on their behalf.

Old 03-09-2022, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
That's not really true. Their editorial content is obviously very different, but the newsrooms use fundamentally the same sources especially for foreign news. That being international news agencies such as AP, AFP or Reuters, foreign news sources such as the BBC, freelance reporter networks, the communications teams from government bodies such as the State Dept., the Pentagon or the White House and of course social media.

The article you quoted was based on an AP report, but said AP report (and pretty much all other stories I read on the subject) got their information primarily from two original sources - the Ukrainian President and a local Ukrainian government official. Neither one of course being uninterested parties in the situation.

But that is a reality of war coverage - most of it is uncorroborated by neutral sources and instead relies on information provided by one of the participating parties in the conflict. When you read our news media though one could get the impression that only one side is putting out any sort of information, namely the Ukrainian side. That is naturally not the case as we can see on this forum where Russian stuff is posted all the time by Russian posters.

However, editorially, we know that our news media will mostly discount anything the Russians publish as propaganda while they are more than happy to use the Ukrainian government posts on Twitter or Facebook as sources for reports. Obviously this is because most Western observers sympathize with Ukraine and their efforts and want to assist them in any way they can. I can certainly understand that point of view, and in some ways, it is indeed inevitable.

But one consequence of that approach is that our media is anything but an uninvolved neutral third party in this. Our media is quite blatantly acting as an information arm of the Ukrainian government because - and I think this is indisputable - most people in our media think Ukraine are the good guys and helping them is a good cause. They might be right, but it's sort of beside the point whether they are or not, because they will certainly ensure that if you believe their reporting you will agree with them in the end.

And FWIW I am not making a statement on that accusation of Russia intentionally attacking a maternity hospital. It could be true for all I know, but I do know I'm only getting presented the Ukrainian government's version of events pretty much from start to finish. And that is the Ukrainian government that is accusing us of being cowards etc. for not getting involved in a potential nuclear war with Russia on their behalf.
I am all ears for an independently verified Russian news. Russians just recently cleansed their media space of a few remaining semi objective news outlets. Russians lie, and it is not just lies, it is lies wrapped in the cynical thuggish language of a psychopath. Lying is a normal Russian mode, they have a rep for lying, and it is up to them to change that rep. But guess what? They will not. Because Russia lives according to a code of honor of a street thug (gopnik), it is not exaggeration, criminal honor code became Russian mainstream. According to the street thugs - brazen cynical lies mixed up with put downs are signs of strength and dominance.

Old 03-09-2022, 03:41 PM

7,334 posts, read 4,124,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
So let me understand, are you denying western Ukraine was under the Austro-Hungarian Empire or are you denying there was an Austro-Hungarian Empire?

As for Poland, are you denying their wars and struggles with the Tartars? The Bugler in St. Mary's and his history fake news or a hoax?

Inquiring minds want to know! Fact with sources only, please.

Must admit your posts today have made me laugh! My poor dog has cancer. We have an appt with her vet today. I needed a good laugh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
What's this historical venturing by an obviously ignorant person like yourself have to do with Russian nazis attacking and killing Ukrainians to destroy their state and eventually their identity right NOW? Ukrainian people were split between many states and empires (just like Poles), they have their state for 30 years now. These historical diggings are straight from nazi propaganda textbooks. You swap this nonsense with Erasure and the rest of the Russian nazi trolls here, they love this bs, but it is so irrelevant right now when Bloody Vlad kills in the name of fantasy.
I am not denying Ukraine has been a country since 1991, I am denying it was a country between the 14th century until 1991.

So if you really think I am ignorant over the history of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and Ukraine, the prove it with sources. I'm open to any sources in English.

You'll get 10 points if you can do this without name calling. Well, that might be a bridge too far for you.

I should tell you that as a New Yorker, I am used to the rest of the USA disliking us. Well, it's just because the rest of country is jealous of New York. Kansas is definitely not as cool as New York. Actually, New Yorkers have little time for anything past the Hudson River.

https://viewing.nyc/new-yorker-cover...f-the-country/

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/vinta...b06363d5a2acdd

However, I would be fun to see if you could get pass one post without the word "Nazi" or propaganda. Think of it as an intellectual challenge. Are you up to it?

Old 03-09-2022, 03:45 PM

Quote:

Uh-oh, are New York Times, CNN "and other American news" agree on THIS story by any chance?

Because if I'd have posted something like that from Russian media couple of days ago, where I've heard the news first, I'd been told "nope, Russian propaganda, not reputable source."

Is THIS reputable enough for you now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNpgMJhvtpY

That's how it goes, step by step, the truth is surfacing, confirming what "free and sovereign" ( *cough-cough*) Ukraine has been turned into lately, and why this "crazy Putin" decided to intervene.

Old 03-09-2022, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
I am not denying Ukraine has been a country since 1991, I am denying it was a country between the 14th century until 1991.

So if you really think I am ignorant over the history of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and Ukraine, the prove it with sources. I'm open to any sources in English.

You'll get 10 points if you can do this without name calling. Well, that might be a bridge too far for you.

I should tell you that as a New Yorker, I am used to the rest of the USA disliking us. Well, it's just because the rest of country is jealous of New York. Kansas is definitely not as cool as New York. Actually, New Yorkers have little time for anything past the Hudson River.

https://viewing.nyc/new-yorker-cover...f-the-country/

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/vinta...b06363d5a2acdd

However, I would be fun to see if you could get pass one post without the word "Nazi" or propaganda. Think of it as an intellectual challenge. Are you up to it?
I will not bite into this Russian nazi historical rationalization nonsense. Do you want to apply the same "reasoning" to USA? Btw Russian Empire stole Siberia from Chinese and tartars not that long time ago. And so on and so forth. That revisionist bs does not matter at all.

This matters:
Russian Federation has been a country since 1991. Russian Empire ceased to exist in 1917. Russian Federation cannot just privatize and claim all the legacy of Russian Empire, just like Italy cannot claim Roman Empire legacy and so on. Ukraine has a full right for its share of Russian Empire regardless of what delusions of grandeur citizens of Russian Federation might have.

Old 03-09-2022, 03:57 PM

7,334 posts, read 4,124,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post

All true! How many times did the press said that Syria's Assad bombed hospitals and used chemical warfare on his own people? All big stories and none were found to be true. So how are we expect to believe any story?

Roger Kimball of the The New Criterion* in a twitter post said that it's almost impossible to know the truth of Ukraine and this conflict. All sides are using the press as propaganda. He's right. No one does know what's the truth and what isn't.

Something to think about before "you get your knickers in a twist," or more politely, upset about something that may not be true.

*The New Criterion is New York–based monthly literary magazine and journal of artistic and cultural criticism.

Old 03-09-2022, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
you have something like 20000 messages here on CD alone, and I have a hunch it is not the only platform you patronize, the subject of Ukraine absolutely dominates your messages. If it is not for money and the Fatherland, it is the most severe case of Ukraine induced psychosis on CD. Ukraine induced psychosis is a rather typical Russian psychiatric condition, there are a few other Russian nazi contenders here, but you are #1 by far. Do you want to talk about it? Is it childhood trauma? Have you been reading soviet/russian imperial propaganda under a blanket in a dark room a little too much? Talk about it, we'll make it better, and a shrink will fix the rest. Don't give up on your mental health.

Do you have a *hunch* that I am posting here from 2008, and the majority of my *reps* came from the "Music/Arts" forums, and not from Politics?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe