Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2022, 12:51 AM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Well, the big news of course is that the US will stop buying oil and gas from Putinstan, but McDonalds, Starbucks and Coca Cola said they would stop sales there as well.

Somehow, it doesn't make me happy, when I am passing by the local gas stations.

And I suspect I am not the only one.

The more I am listening to Tucker Carlson, the more I have a question - does he have a political party for normal people?
If not, may be it's about time to start one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r26dUDdNQo&t=6s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2022, 12:54 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,925,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
No, you're just twisting what I am saying and using spin. Hardly worth going on with you, but whether you will admit it or not, Russian businesses compete very poorly in the markets of advanced nations. They might be able to sell stuff into Kazakhstan, but not into wealthy, first world nations where people have many options and can afford good quality offerings. Russian science and technology aren't world class either.
Because China is the epitome of “good quality” lol, let’s be real, the west doesn’t really manufacture anything these days. Western economies run primarily on services and manufacturing has been sent offshore, hence the term “rust belt”. The Russian economy is definitely not as strong as it could be, but to act like the west produces things that compete on the global market is a bit of a stretch. Yes the few things the west still manufactures are of high quality, but that quality comes at a premium cost that the average westerner can’t even afford which is why western stores are flooded with cheap products from China and the like.

Old 03-09-2022, 04:43 AM

12,407 posts, read 9,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Because China is the epitome of “good quality” lol, let’s be real, the west doesn’t really manufacture anything these days. Western economies run primarily on services and manufacturing has been sent offshore, hence the term “rust belt”. The Russian economy is definitely not as strong as it could be, but to act like the west produces things that compete on the global market is a bit of a stretch. Yes the few things the west still manufactures are of high quality, but that quality comes at a premium cost that the average westerner can’t even afford which is why western stores are flooded with cheap products from China and the like.
I assume you are Russian, because like any good Russian, virtually everything you say is false. US manufacturing output is higher than it's ever been, and I would guess that is true in other Westen nations as well. Western (and Japanese and South Korean) pharmaceutical, vaccine, genetic and medical device advances lead the world; computer software and hardware from these nations lead the world. For Russia, crude and refined oil and gas products make up 2/3 of their economy - because they do most things badly.

Old 03-09-2022, 04:54 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,019,409 times
Quote:
Because China is the epitome of “good quality” lol.

These days it is, yet like I've said there are 1.4 billion of them so it's not too shocking they can come up with some product. Yet I have many chinese things and never had a real issue (one of my phones, drone, 3 3d printers, walkitalkies, el. scooter...I bet I'm missing many others). In contrast the only russian thing I've tried using but gave up is Kasperski antivirus lol, I never paid for it anyway it was 'trial'.

On top of that I don't depend on russian gas for heating and what else is left? Buying ak47? Aside from the obvious that my country makes them too - they must be (probably are) illegal for ordinary citizens - just like owning m16 is illegal, even airsoft m16 is illegal in say Germany.

Old 03-09-2022, 06:14 AM

2,167 posts, read 3,385,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Somehow, it doesn't make me happy, when I am passing by the local gas stations.

And I suspect I am not the only one.

The more I am listening to Tucker Carlson, the more I have a question - does he have a political party for normal people?
If not, may be it's about time to start one.
Tucker Carlson and Fox News are basically the US's version of Russian-state TV. The party is called Trumpism and has hijacked a good portion of the GOP. And of course you're partial to it, because they're partial to Russian interests.

Old 03-09-2022, 06:18 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Is it possible that after this, Ukraine could cease to exist?

Old 03-09-2022, 07:24 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,304,816 times
Quote:
Yes the few things the west still manufactures are of high quality, but that quality comes at a premium cost that the average westerner can’t even afford which is why western stores are flooded with cheap products from China and the like.
I recently thought about buying stereo speakers and would have bought Made in USA, but all I found was very high end concert-level speaker systems that ranged from $10,000 to $40,000; the least expensive home model was $1,000–$2,000.

The rest was Chinese crap. I even ordered a few from Chinesecrapazon or ChinesecrapMart, but sent them back.

Similar story with guitars.

I do find quality cookware Made in USA at reasonable prices, but I usually have to go to specialized websites to order, can’t find high quality stuff in Macy’s, rarely on Chinesecrapazon, and almost never on CinesecrapMart.

Even the “free” CoViD-19 tests that I received from the US government are made in China. On top of that, they expire in a few months.

The Russians should be rejoicing that McDonald’s closed shop. Why would anyone eat that junk?

Years ago when I lived in Italy, the people rejected it; all the stores failed except at airports and one or two in the biggest cities near the train stations.

I don’t know, but maybe by now they’ve acquiesced and eat that junk too.

Anyway, sorry, way off topic.

Future of Ukraine? High probability right now, but not certain, that an eastern arc of territory will be lopped off.

As for the rest, too early to predict with any degree of confidence, there will still be a lot of on-the-ground fighting and positioning in the next few weeks.

Expression of deep sorrow for innocent people caught up in the crossfire, both civilians and young soldiers on both sides.

Good Luck!

Last edited by bale002; 03-09-2022 at 07:33 AM..

Old 03-09-2022, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang84 View Post
Tucker Carlson and Fox News are basically the US's version of Russian-state TV.

So how do you picture it then?

No "version of Russian-state TV," but only the ones serving YOUR agenda?
But then you will find yourself in proverbial Russia faster than with any "Fox News."

Quote:
The party is called Trumpism and has hijacked a good portion of the GOP. And of course you're partial to it, because they're partial to Russian interests.

I am "partial" to what exactly?

To the idea that I want working multi-party system, instead of finding myself "back in the USSR," with one and one "party line" only?

You bet it's my concern.

Old 03-09-2022, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
I recently thought about buying stereo speakers and would have bought Made in USA, but all I found was very high end concert-level speaker systems that ranged from $10,000 to $40,000; the least expensive home model was $1,000–$2,000.

The rest was Chinese crap. I even ordered a few from Chinesecrapazon or ChinesecrapMart, but sent them back.

Similar story with guitars.

I do find quality cookware Made in USA at reasonable prices, but I usually have to go to specialized websites to order, can’t find high quality stuff in Macy’s, rarely on Chinesecrapazon, and almost never on CinesecrapMart.

Even the “free” CoViD-19 tests that I received from the US government are made in China. On top of that, they expire in a few months.

The Russians should be rejoicing that McDonald’s closed shop. Why would anyone eat that junk?

Years ago when I lived in Italy, the people rejected it; all the stores failed except at airports and one or two in the biggest cities near the train stations.

I don’t know, but maybe by now they’ve acquiesced and eat that junk too.

Anyway, sorry, way off topic.

Future of Ukraine? High probability right now, but not certain, that an eastern arc of territory will be lopped off.

As for the rest, too early to predict with any degree of confidence, there will still be a lot of on-the-ground fighting and positioning in the next few weeks.

Expression of deep sorrow for innocent people caught up in the crossfire, both civilians and young soldiers on both sides.

Good Luck!

My thoughts exactly, except for in my case I was trying to find decent HEADPHONES, the kind I used to pay around 20 bucks for.

Old 03-09-2022, 08:38 AM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
My prediction - the part of Ukraine will no longer be a part of Ukraine - and it won't be a part of Russia either. That part will become independent territory. What we are witnessing now is not something new but the end of conflict started 8 years ago.
One of those independent-in-name-only territories that only Russia and a few other rogue nations recognize, you mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe