Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2022, 07:39 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
Largest GDP of any country in the world. Huge advances on many technological fronts (feel free to think the US for the Internet, for instance). But, sure, keep up the misdirection and misinformation.
Russia has an economy smaller than that of Italy. Its influence over western politicians comes from its ability to endlessly antagonize and wage psychological warfare on the west, knowing that its nuclear arsenal will make the west hesitant to retaliate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2022, 07:54 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Russia has an economy smaller than that of Italy. Its influence over western politicians comes from its ability to endlessly antagonize and wage psychological warfare on the west, knowing that its nuclear arsenal will make the west hesitant to retaliate.
Russia's economy now is smaller than the Netherlands and probably even Switzerland/Taiwan. It used to be around 1.6 trillion, with ruble's value halved it is now barely 800 billion, which is just laughable. And it will be even smaller.

Old 03-08-2022, 09:07 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Russia's economy now is smaller than the Netherlands and probably even Switzerland/Taiwan. It used to be around 1.6 trillion, with ruble's value halved it is now barely 800 billion, which is just laughable. And it will be even smaller.
And so richly deserved. Couldn't have happened to a more appropriate country.

Old 03-08-2022, 11:33 PM

12,441 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Well, the big news of course is that the US will stop buying oil and gas from Putinstan, but McDonalds, Starbucks and Coca Cola said they would stop sales there as well.

Old 03-08-2022, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I imagine that most people in advanced nations have never seen anything that is made in Russia, besides vodka, and oil/gas - which they simply pump out of the ground. Nothing that Russia designs, creates, or manufactures is able to compete in world markets. And if anyone actually does come up with a good idea there, you have a mafia-like system that will drag it down and keep the business from actually succeeding.

Old 03-08-2022, 11:59 PM

Per the Ukrainian Health Minister,Viktor Lyashko - Russian missiles and bombing have destroyed over 60 Ukrainians hospitals, and their seige forces prevent medicine from reaching encircled cities.
https://www.usnews.com/news/world/ar...ealth-minister

Old 03-09-2022, 12:03 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,929,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I imagine that most people in advanced nations have never seen anything that is made in Russia, besides vodka, and oil/gas - which they simply pump out of the ground. Nothing that Russia designs, creates, or manufactures is able to compete in world markets. And if anyone actually does come up with a good idea there, you have a mafia-like system that will drag it down and keep the business from actually succeeding.
Yes, but many of their domestic companies compete with international companies domestically, for instance Yandex out competes Google and Uber, Wildberries out competes Amazon, VK out competes Facebook, Avito out competes Craigslist and the list goes on. You can’t really say the same for other countries except for China and a handful of other countries.

Also I can say the same exact thing about most western countries, besides some luxury brands is their anything that the French create that competes on the international market? I’m sure there is, but I personally never seen anything “made in France” except for wine. So does that mean French economy is non existent? No that’s absurd, so just because you don’t see it, doesn’t mean it’s not there. Perhaps you are right, but your logic isn’t sound is all I’m trying to point out.

Old 03-09-2022, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Yes, but many of their domestic companies compete with international companies domestically, for instance Yandex out competes Google and Uber, Wildberries out competes Amazon, VK out competes Facebook, Avito out competes Craigslist and the list goes on. You can’t really say the same for other countries except for China and a handful of other countries.

Also I can say the same exact thing about most western countries, besides some luxury brands is their anything that the French create that competes on the international market? I’m sure there is, but I personally never seen anything “made in France” except for wine. So does that mean French economy is non existent? No that’s absurd, so just because you don’t see it, doesn’t mean it’s not there. Perhaps you are right, but your logic isn’t sound is all I’m trying to point out.
Peugeot, Renault and Citroen are large automakers, Sanofi makes drugs and vaccines, I am personally anxiously awaiting Valneva's Lyme disease vaccine, the world's most advanced fusion research lab - the international ITER project is in France, French aerospace contributes strongly to Airbus, the European Space Agency is headquartered in Paris, many brands of French cookware and kitchen appliances are well known.

Old 03-09-2022, 12:19 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,929,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Peugeot, Renault and Citroen are large automakers, Sanofi makes drugs and vaccines, the world's most advanced fusion research lab - the international ITER project is in France, French aerospace contributes strongly to Airbus, the European Space Agency is headquartered in Paris, many brands of French cookware and kitchen appliances are well known.
Exactly, but I personally don’t deal with those companies, so by your logic France doesn’t have a real economy and they just make wine and can’t compete with American companies because I don’t see their products at the local Walmart. But as you pointed out that’s not the case. So just because the average westerner doesn’t buy Russian products, doesn’t necessarily mean Russia doesn’t produce anything of value.

Old 03-09-2022, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Exactly, but I personally don’t deal with those companies, so by your logic France doesn’t have a real economy and they just make wine and can’t compete with American companies because I don’t see their products at the local Walmart. But as you pointed out that’s not the case. So just because the average westerner doesn’t buy Russian products, doesn’t necessarily mean Russia doesn’t produce anything of value.
No, you're just twisting what I am saying and using spin. Hardly worth going on with you, but whether you will admit it or not, Russian businesses compete very poorly in the markets of advanced nations. They might be able to sell stuff into Kazakhstan, but not into wealthy, first world nations where people have many options and can afford good quality offerings. Russian science and technology aren't world class either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe