Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2014, 11:50 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,616,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Welcome to my parlor said a spider to a fly.
heheh The night before last I put on 'Dracula'...Good film btw I suggest everybody here watch it. Vampirism at its best! There we have old Bela, the count, saying the... The spider spinning his web..for the unwary fly' Oh how art imitates life!!! Nothing like Bela replying after he's asked if he'd like a drink.......'I don't drink...vine!'

Quote:
I'm still going to sleep early if the general mobilization starts tomorrow when we see that Russian tanks are in Kharkiv and Donetsk.
Jaysus, I hope not. And my recommendation to another Vlad. Please refrain from eyeing the real estate in eastern Ukraine. It may look cheap to get but it cojld be expensive! The 'neighbors' for sure aren't going to like that 'purchase'. Maybe like the Beatles song....we can work it out???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 12:01 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Same here. "Annexing" Crimea was OK in my view, but if Putin decides to grab other territories as well, I will cease to support Russia in this mess. Not that I think the West is any better or that Eastern Ukrainians should not decide where they want to live in the future, but it should be done via an internationally accepted and organized referendum.
But hypothetically speaking how would they even ask for such referendum, if the succession ideas are prohibited by the current government? ( correct me if I am wrong.)

Old 03-27-2014, 12:02 PM

2,973 posts, read 1,973,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Basically the Cold War all over again though this time Eastern Europe is in the NATO camp and the emerging markets and powers of Brazil, China, and India making up sort of the new aligned states(in a way) that could go either way.
The BRICS have not been aligning with the West in all major issues.

Old 03-27-2014, 12:04 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,799,193 times
Quote:
I think Putin has made his point, now he should call his troops back and let the dust settle... Maybe even offer to hold a referendum in the more or less occupied parts of Finland...
We don't want them anymore. We have enough land and would have nothing to gain from Karelia.

Old 03-27-2014, 12:09 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
We don't want them anymore. We have enough land and would have nothing to gain from Karelia.
Well, I am not sure you speak for Finland as a whole, nor for the people living in Karelia

Old 03-27-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
But hypothetically speaking how would they even ask for such referendum, if the succession ideas are prohibited by the current government? ( correct me if I am wrong.)
As I said, on an international foundation, like via the UN or whatever. Judging from the rift in the Ukraine they will never get along anymore, so it is not unlike Sudan before the split.

Old 03-27-2014, 12:18 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,799,193 times
Quote:
Well, I am not sure you speak for Finland as a whole, nor for the people living in Karelia
The people there would probably gladly join and be a part of a Nordic welfare state, but the problem is that these people are Russians and it would require tremendous investments to get the area even to 20th century standards. What would Finland do with a 600,000 strong population that are either retired or unable to immediately join the Finnish job market.

Karelia is a Russian wasteland and the standard of living inequality is almost as big as between South and North Korea.

Hell no, we don't want that piece of land.

I could take the city of Vyborg back, but only that.

Old 03-27-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
As I said, on an international foundation, like via the UN or whatever. Judging from the rift in the Ukraine they will never get along anymore, so it is not unlike Sudan before the split.
Wasn't Sudan all about oil? If yes, then I can understand why the split has been approved by "international foundation."
In case of Eastern Ukraine I believe the split will not be approved by "international foundation" because the splintered Ukraine goes against the interests of the US/EU in this case.
Although looking at the situation in Eastern Ukraine, I'd think it would be better for them to split from the rest of Ukraine from economic point of view - the EU reforms will hit them the hardest.

Workers fear for the future in Ukraine's industrial east | World news | theguardian.com

That's being said, the mood there is not the same as in Crimea, so it's not like they are ready to jump under Russian jurisdiction. I think that they'd simply prefer to have their own political independence, while accepting dependence on Russian economy. I just don't believe anyone will let them have their say, what's really serves the interests of people in these regions, that's why at the end they'll be forced to take only available choices instead of the desired ones.

Old 03-27-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
The people there would probably gladly join and be a part of a Nordic welfare state, but the problem is that these people are Russians and it would require tremendous investments to get the area even to 20th century standards. What would Finland do with a 600,000 strong population that are either retired or unable to immediately join the Finnish job market.

Karelia is a Russian wasteland and the standard of living inequality is almost as big as between South and North Korea.

Hell no, we don't want that piece of land.

I could take the city of Vyborg back, but only that.
Ethnic Russians? Well, in that case there is no point in getting it back, of course...

Old 03-27-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Ethnic Russians? Well, in that case there is no point in getting it back, of course...
Yet that's what EU is asking for - all those 7-8 million of ethnic Russians in Ukraine to "align" with it))))
Does it make much sense to you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe