Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2016, 08:00 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Are you drilling holes in the bottom for drainage?

actually I drill them on the side about two inches up so if I don't get home in time to water they still have some water in the bottom and they can use that if they need it ...I learned this trick from another gardener .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2016, 08:16 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
actually I drill them on the side about two inches up so if I don't get home in time to water they still have some water in the bottom and they can use that if they need it ...I learned this trick from another gardener .
Ooooh...smart! Great tip. Thanks.

Old 02-27-2016, 08:41 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Hubby drills them in the bottom or the sides, depending. Some containers actually have places for drilling on the bottom. And now, with a beautiful day ahead we are about to go out and work in the garden. I am doing some trimming, he is getting rid of some of the weeds in the veggie garden. We are still 6 weeks away from planting though. Oh, and my tomato seeds, well I had a funeral for them a couple days ago. They all crocked. I will say, when I had the funeral I called them some petty bad names.

Old 02-27-2016, 11:51 AM

83,523 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Ooooh...smart! Great tip. Thanks.

Every location and climate is different. Be careful. I tried that, horrible.

We get heavy or consistent rains here a lot of times and then cloudy days and temps staying in the 70s.

The bottom 2 inches never had a chance to drain or dry out so the roots got water logged for way too long then the next rain came and just didn't help. Plant wasn't as healthy as one with bottom holes or in ground. Side holes are a bad idea if you get many days with rain or clouds.

You can do a couple of little holes on the bottom and larger ones on the side. You need a bottom drain otherwise water may sit there for days and cause problems

Old 02-28-2016, 06:33 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times
Well since today was sunny and a warm 52 degrees, I spent the afternoon cleaning my garden spot. Pulled and raked old dried plants and leaves. Sure looks a lot nicer. Now to wait until the end of May and I'll till it real good and start planting.

Old 02-28-2016, 11:16 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Every location and climate is different. Be careful. I tried that, horrible.

We get heavy or consistent rains here a lot of times and then cloudy days and temps staying in the 70s.

The bottom 2 inches never had a chance to drain or dry out so the roots got water logged for way too long then the next rain came and just didn't help. Plant wasn't as healthy as one with bottom holes or in ground. Side holes are a bad idea if you get many days with rain or clouds.

You can do a couple of little holes on the bottom and larger ones on the side. You need a bottom drain otherwise water may sit there for days and cause problems
i think you're a bit far north for that. it worked when i lived in the south and had to water some pots twice a day.

Old 02-29-2016, 07:08 AM

83,523 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
i think you're a bit far north for that. it worked when i lived in the south and had to water some pots twice a day.
Agree. The 2 posters I responded too don't have a location shown so no idea where they are but hopefully my post helps those who think its a good idea but in a climate that doesn't help that idea.

The south not only see's longer drier days then the north but is hotter. So evaporating the bottom pool of water comes easier in the south.

Old 02-29-2016, 10:24 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,599,580 times
The garlic I planted a couple of weeks ago is starting to sprout.

Old 02-29-2016, 06:12 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,405,309 times
Hurrah veggie garden 2016 has started! For me, anyway. I planted seeds for cold-season veggies today: an old pack of dwarf curly kale, snow peas, spinach, bok choi and that new caraflex cabbage! I cleaned out and repaired some of the raised beds and put up the supports for the peas. The kale is in a container with my own root apricot. It is the sole survivor of the 3 I got online.

I'll be adding string to the pea supports in the next few days. Hope they stay up. I tied one to the fence, but the others are tripods. I'm generally pretty crappy at putting up home-made trellis, but they seem sturdy enough now. I've read a lot about the peas I got, and SUPPOSEDLY they get high yields. I planted a POO load of seeds, so I can't wait.

This year, I'm starting my eggplant and pepper seeds early. I got a few different packs of hot peppers, and a couple of different eggplant. I'm fighting the good fight to get big yields, I HOPE this year. Also I planted out more garlic that I got at my beloved Lowes. The garlic I planted last year is hard-neck, and I put in some soft-neck yesterday.

Hard neck garlic gives you those hipster scapes LOL, but the garlic does not keep as long as soft neck. Hard neck is also the type used for kimchi and other korean food, if I'm not mistaken. So I'll have a mix this year. Can't wait to eat them because I LOVE garlic. It is medicinal and tastes good. I ate three of my rutabagas from last fall today. They were good. I'm still in love with rutabaga. Bugs bit some of them, but what can I say? Food that I just left in the ground all winter can't be beat. Rutabaga is also delicious.

Old 03-01-2016, 05:52 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Hurrah veggie garden 2016 has started! For me, anyway. I planted seeds for cold-season veggies today: an old pack of dwarf curly kale, snow peas, spinach, bok choi and that new caraflex cabbage! I cleaned out and repaired some of the raised beds and put up the supports for the peas. The kale is in a container with my own root apricot. It is the sole survivor of the 3 I got online.

I'll be adding string to the pea supports in the next few days. Hope they stay up. I tied one to the fence, but the others are tripods. I'm generally pretty crappy at putting up home-made trellis, but they seem sturdy enough now. I've read a lot about the peas I got, and SUPPOSEDLY they get high yields. I planted a POO load of seeds, so I can't wait.

This year, I'm starting my eggplant and pepper seeds early. I got a few different packs of hot peppers, and a couple of different eggplant. I'm fighting the good fight to get big yields, I HOPE this year. Also I planted out more garlic that I got at my beloved Lowes. The garlic I planted last year is hard-neck, and I put in some soft-neck yesterday.

Hard neck garlic gives you those hipster scapes LOL, but the garlic does not keep as long as soft neck. Hard neck is also the type used for kimchi and other korean food, if I'm not mistaken. So I'll have a mix this year. Can't wait to eat them because I LOVE garlic. It is medicinal and tastes good. I ate three of my rutabagas from last fall today. They were good. I'm still in love with rutabaga. Bugs bit some of them, but what can I say? Food that I just left in the ground all winter can't be beat. Rutabaga is also delicious.
How big is your garden area? Sounds nice, but also a lot of work. You must be young with lots of energy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden