Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2011, 09:41 AM

417 posts, read 365,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
People,for the Last time waitstaff make minimum wage.

Uh, no we don't. I live in Illinois and make 4.50 an hour, which is heavily taxed because I report most of my tips (our restaurant forces us to).

Also to the black poster, no I as a white server do not treat my black clients any differently than whites or Mexicans. I just expect less by habit. If I walk across 10 red heads and 7 of them punch me in the face, why would I wanna walk across red heads anymore on the off chance that three of them will treat me like a human being?

And as a white patron I always treat black servers with respect, and I work with black servers and they also treat black servers with respect and white servers with respect. Blacks who work in the service industry are usually good tippers because they know how it is.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:46 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKrunner88 View Post
I'm a server part time and I HATE serving blacks. Just got stiffed last night, I still treat them the same as any other table but they are demanding and treat you like you are scum.

It's common throughout the industry, everyone knows it and servers aren't afraid to openly discuss their dislike of black patrons. I feel bad for black people that DO tip good because we automatically assume they are scum of the earth until after they pay their bill, in which we classify them as "one of the good blacks" after they tip appropriately. No, 2 bucks on a 100 dollar tab is not an appropriate tip.

I am sure that with your attitude that you really do not provide good service and therefore you would not receive good tips from Black patrons (whom you refer to as scum). There is no way that you are able to hide such contempt no matter how well you believe that you do.

ETA: And even if you think that you are treating ALL patrons (including Black patrons) equally, maybe your counterparts are not. If waitstaff make the assumption that I am going to be a "problem" customer when I walk in the door because I am Black then they obviously will not provide me with good service and they will therefore fulfill the stereotype through their actions. Maybe it is people like yourself who are the real problem.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I am sure that with your attitude that you really do not provide good service and therefore you would not receive good tips from Black patrons (whom you refer to as scum). There is no way that you are able to hide such contempt no matter how well you believe that you do.

I'm assuming your name is Miss Cleo and that you have psychic abilities since you obviously know how I treat my patrons.

Yea I have contempt, how can you not when you are constantly stiffed by them? But I do know that there are good black tippers out there so I still treat them the same, and not even for the good tip but because I believe everyone should be treated the way you want to be treated.

It's also obvious you have never worked at a restaurant.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:58 AM

Oh and by the way some of my regular customers that come in and request me are black patrons who like me because I DO treat them very well and even give them freebies with their meals, these same people go to my Church and tip pretty fair but a lot of them are on fixed incomes so I don't expect more than 15% which is the usual from the older folks at my Church. But because they are always pleasant I don't mind. It's when I have a young couple come in that orders big steaks with all the toppings and drinks and they don't even give me a buck when I start fuming and it's more likely to happen with blacks than whites at least in my area at my restaurant. And this isn't an opinion hold by just me, but is shared with my coworkers and even my management. But again they are still treated the same as any other table.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:
I'm assuming your name is Miss Cleo and that you have psychic abilities since you obviously know how I treat my patrons.

Yea I have contempt, how can you not when you are constantly stiffed by them? But I do know that there are good black tippers out there so I still treat them the same, and not even for the good tip but because I believe everyone should be treated the way you want to be treated.

It's also obvious you have never worked at a restaurant.

You stated in your previous post that you "HATE" Black patrons. So, unless you are Jesus Christ your contempt for Black patrons will manifest in some way, shape or form in your treatment of them.

And no, I have never worked a day of my life in any service industry. However, I was taught to have respect and appreciation for those who hold roles of servitude like housekeepers, waitstaff, etc.

Have you ever thought about it from the side of those Black patrons? Maybe they are expecting to receive bad service because you are a White server and White servers have not been good to them.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:03 AM

Maybe some white servers haven't, and I know a couple girls at my restaurant who don't give them good service. But you can usually get a vibe early on when they get sat if they are going to be rude and demanding, request that things get comped off their bill, etc. When this happens to me, I usually keep my cool and I'm still a good server, it's just irritating.

And there are just as many trashy white folks that go out to eat as well, but considering whites make up 70% of the population, there should be a lot more trashy white folk who come in and leave **** tips in proportion to blacks but there aren't. I don't know if there is some social stigma or thing going around in the black community but simply put many blacks just don't understand the concept of tipping or treating their servers properly.

And I never said I hate black people, but that I hate serving them because the odds of getting tipped good by them are a lot lower than any other group. And the "scum" thing was a little overboard on my part, I'll agree with that and I usually don't think they are really scum, I just assume they are bad tippers until they prove otherwise.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Oh and by the way some of my regular customers that come in and request me are black patrons who like me because I DO treat them very well and even give them freebies with their meals, these same people go to my Church and tip pretty fair but a lot of them are on fixed incomes so I don't expect more than 15% which is the usual from the older folks at my Church. But because they are always pleasant I don't mind. It's when I have a young couple come in that orders big steaks with all the toppings and drinks and they don't even give me a buck when I start fuming and it's more likely to happen with blacks than whites at least in my area at my restaurant. And this isn't an opinion hold by just me, but is shared with my coworkers and even my management. But again they are still treated the same as any other table.
That is YOUR experience based on the communities that you serve. So I would assume that you would argue the "worst tippers" issue the servers who have issues with bad Asian tippers or Hispanic tippers or White tippers or the rich but stingy tippers, etc, etc, etc.

Many different groups have been accused of being bad tippers but I find that those who have a personal bias against Blacks tend to accuse them of being bad tippers the most.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
That is YOUR experience based on the communities that you serve. So I would assume that you would argue the "worst tippers" issue the servers who have issues with bad Asian tippers or Hispanic tippers or White tippers or the rich but stingy tippers, etc, etc, etc.

Many different groups have been accused of being bad tippers but I find that those who have a personal bias against Blacks tend to accuse them of being bad tippers the most.

I didn't have a personal bias against them until I started working in the restaurant industry. And this is a common thing among many restaurant servers, sorry to say buddy. Even among black servers, they don't like having black patrons either. At least at the restaurant I've worked at in the Chicago suburbs. This girl I work with who is black will PAY the hostesses not to sit her black tables on a busy night.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:08 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Now she has to prove it.
Hope she has a good pro-Bono lawyer

Old 11-29-2011, 10:09 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,783,612 times
Quote:

Black friend of mine has been waiting tables for 30 years.

He says its true.

Personally, I have no idea. Closest I ever came was working a summer at McDs. No discernable difference amongst customers due to color.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies