Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2012, 01:41 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,287,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Nope. I believe in things revolving around BOTH of us and I do agree with a common woman complain about men not doing house chores. Men expecting women to cook and clean up, I see it as comparable to women expecting men to open their wallets and take care of the romance. So no cherry-picking from me.
It's obvious you don't know the meaning of the term cherrypick.

[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry_picking_%28fallacy%29"]Cherry picking (fallacy) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/URL]

The point is that you read a few lines of a post, select a few sentences, and take them out of context so as to deliberately misrepresent what others have said. That is a very poor way of attempting to make a point, as anyone who knows how to use the quote feature can point out where you're wrong. For example, you said I "enjoyed" being lavished with gifts. If you read the post and paid attention to what you were reading, you will see that I said the opposite.

You have preconceived notions about American women and about a few of the members here in particular. It sounds like a personal problem or fixation on your part. Maybe if you worried about your own love life instead of everyone else's, you wouldn't have so many problems dating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Some women may offer, taking action is different. Again, this is not wrong/right. Just things that happen.
A grown man can say "yes" or "no." If you have problems with men insisting on paying for the dates they ask for, take it up with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 01:50 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,287,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
The thing that annoys me is that it doesn't seem to matter to you if a woman comes on here and says that she likes to pay, initiate, etc. - you don't seem to accept it.
Convenient, isn't it?

Old 01-04-2012, 02:03 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,290,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
For example, you said I "enjoyed" being lavished with gifts. If you read the post and paid attention to what you were reading, you will see that I said the opposite
Let’s say you didn’t enjoy being lavished with gifts. Why not put your foot down the same way you would when it comes to house chores? You have expressed a no nonsense tough attitude when it comes to house chores and how men should do them too but when it comes to you being in the receiving end (which is most of the time as you have said), different story, you become softie about the issue. Convenient, isn't it?

Quote:
A grown man can say "yes" or "no." If you have problems with men insisting on paying for the dates they ask for, take it up with them.
I am trying to remember when I said I have problems with American women. I keep saying over and over it is not wrong/right because I know there are sensitive women like you around here. I have challenged men in other threads as well. And you are accusing me of cherry picking, go figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
Not from my dating experiences. I even went on a lunch date with 2 older women once. More of a friendly date mind you, but both still wanted to see me on that day. Neither one offered to pay for any part of their meals. I didn't say anything and happily paid for both, but it's still an example of women not wanting to pay lol.
That's how it seems to go most of the time. Whatever rocks your boat.

Last edited by onihC; 01-04-2012 at 02:13 PM..

Old 01-04-2012, 02:25 PM

1,754 posts, read 2,471,939 times
Some guys out there don't want a woman to offer to pay, because it is insulting to them.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:27 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,759,049 times
Money is about power and control. If you allow a man to pay for everything you give away your power. Equality in relationships also means paying your fair share, or at least offering.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:29 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,290,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Money is about power and control. If you allow a man to pay for everything you give away your power. Equality in relationships also means paying your fair share, or at least offering.
Maybe a lof of women enjoy giving away power when it comes to dating.

Not so sure about just "offering". I don't think women would be happy that their man just "offered" to do house chores but didn't do anything about it or if he said that he tried but always get beat to the punch. Personally, I am all for men doing all house chores with women as much as I am about women also taking men out, paying for dates, taking the initiative, and so on (even first dates) .

Old 01-04-2012, 02:29 PM

31,143 posts, read 22,180,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Beer View Post
What man would ever let a girl pay for a date?
A broke one

Old 01-04-2012, 02:32 PM

2,028 posts, read 1,891,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
The thing that annoys me is that it doesn't seem to matter to you if a woman comes on here and says that she likes to pay, initiate, etc. - you don't seem to accept it. You say you believe there are exceptions but you pretty much treat all the women on here like we are all gold diggers and it gets frustrating. And there is nothing that we can say to convince you otherwise. We tell you we've asked guys out before and it turns into 20 questions - and you are never satisfied. You say there are exceptions but I don't think that you believe that. I think you think all Western woman are one single gold digging entity. It's kind of frustrating.

Why do you date women in the USA? And where do you meet them, if I might ask?
The problem is, personal anecdotes from a few posters can't overcome the flood of those in the dating market who DO expect what is being discussed here. If everyone treated their dates as you did, this thread probably wouldn't exist. You shouldn't get frustrated, you're simply part of a small group trying to differentiate yourself from millions.

For the guys: Stop asking women out and you won't be expected to pay. Let them ask you out and they'll be expected to pay. If she asks you out AND expects you to pay, act surprised and say "but you asked me out" or just don't date her anymore.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:32 PM

773 posts, read 1,261,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
I tend to agree with this statement. I never let a man lavish dinners, entertainment and gifts on me without him expecting some kind of reciprocity because typically, this kind of guy also came across as very controlling or desperate to "buy" my love. Both of these attributes signal to me that a man has self-esteem issues. I have female friends in these types of relationships/marriages. Although sometimes I envy them for not having to worry about money, they do pay a price for this.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:33 PM

2,028 posts, read 1,891,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Beer View Post
What man would ever let a girl pay for a date?
Me, because they ask ME out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships