Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2014, 01:19 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I was set up on a blind date with a guy on probation, no job (and he last job was something menial) and had several kids out of wedlock he wasn't supporting. I said no and was told I was too picky. Why would I want to date someone like this? I'd rather be single.
With friends like this setting you up, you don't need enemies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 01:21 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,663,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I think most women get approached by bums and druggies from time to time. It doesn't mean women should be dating homeless guys and skid row alcoholics. It may mean they should be approaching the guys who are too inhibited to approach them.
To my point.

Old 08-24-2014, 01:22 PM

52,289 posts, read 52,723,379 times
Quote:
I was set up on a blind date with a guy on probation, no job (and he last job was something menial) and had several kids out of wedlock he wasn't supporting. I said no and was told I was too picky. Why would I want to date someone like this? I'd rather be single.
Sounds like some truth is getting stretched here.

No one with an operating brain is gonna say that you are picky for not wanting a guy who....

1 crappy or no job
2 multiple kids out of wedlock
3 not supporting said kids.

I'm calling phooey here.....either that or you seriously need new friends if these are the friends you have attempting to set you up.

I don't have a long list of things I expect from a woman. Be able to support yourself, preferably not have kids, but at my age I think that ship has sailed as most women have kids at some point in their lives. Don't be crazy.

Not a terribly "picky" list.

Old 08-24-2014, 01:22 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,897,557 times
Quote:
With friends like this setting you up, you don't need enemies.
This was a relative because many of my relatives "feel sorry I'm single". Most of my cousins are married (even the younger ones) and I'm the old maid and to them I'm picky. I'm picky because I don't date dads, or criminals or a bunch of other guys.

Old 08-24-2014, 01:28 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,832,148 times
In my opinion, women are not picky enough. You have to kiss a lot of frogs, as they say. I see women getting impatient, or losing hope that they'll never meet "Mr. Right", so they settle for a frog.

Mostly, I think people are just too impatient. I hear both men and women who are barely out of college, feeling hopeless and worrying that they will spend their lives alone, just because they haven't found the right person yet.

The divorce rate would be lower if people had more patience and were a lot pickier. Just my opinion.

I married my husband at age 50, after having been single for more than 18 years. He was worth the wait! I'm so glad that I didn't jump into marriage with any of the other dudes I dated. They were decent and good men but not right for me. You don't find men like my husband around every street corner, he is a rare gem.

Old 08-24-2014, 01:33 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,194,363 times
Quote:
I think most women get approached by bums and druggies from time to time. It doesn't mean women should be dating homeless guys and skid row alcoholics. It may mean they should be approaching the guys who are too inhibited to approach them.
Yeah, in the thread, I was saying how all I get approached by are the no-good guys.

When I was in HS, the guys who liked me were.

1. One boy who said he was a devil worshiper, and does drugs.
2. Next, a guy who was around 19-21 and still in HS, with gold teeth, and chains. Thug
3. Another guy who was thuggish, and got into alot of fights. Who apparently liked me for 2 years, but never said anything until much later.

Then more recently, a bum, who approached me on a bike, with baggy clothes, looked unclean and too old for me. If he wasn't a bum, he certainly didn't present himself as otherwise.

And when I was dressed to go out, I was going back inside to get something. My mother laughed at told me the guys next door were just waving and staring at me, and I didn't notice. I told her I didn't care because none of the guys over there were any good either. Drinkers, smokers, ghetto.

So, that seems to be all I get. Hopefully it's alot to due with where I live-small rural area. So, nobody around here has much going on.

I would love to find love, romance and date. But I am no desperate enough to settle for any of the guys I just listed.

My mother tells me I have to date some dogs before getting anything better. My grandmother said that was nonsense, and no matter what, you shouldn't be with someone you can't stand to look at, and who isn't about much.

So, my mother would be happy for me to take any guy since I hate being single. Least it comes off that way, as when guys give me attention, and I am not attracted, she'll comment they're not that bad. But I still have some standards, and I don't think they're unrealistic.

Do I need a Sean Bean, with bulging muscles, who makes 6 figures? NO. Would be nice, but I don't need that, and doubt I would even get that.

But I don't want thugs, losers, bums, creepers, and doormats, or guys I am not attracted to, either. I don't think that's too unreasonable.

But some guys will tell me, that's too picky.

Last edited by HappyRain; 08-24-2014 at 01:47 PM..

Old 08-24-2014, 01:37 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,222,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Sounds like some truth is getting stretched here.

No one with an operating brain is gonna say that you are picky for not wanting a guy who....

1 crappy or no job
2 multiple kids out of wedlock
3 not supporting said kids.

I'm calling phooey here.....either that or you seriously need new friends if these are the friends you have attempting to set you up.

I don't have a long list of things I expect from a woman. Be able to support yourself, preferably not have kids, but at my age I think that ship has sailed as most women have kids at some point in their lives. Don't be crazy.

Not a terribly "picky" list.
This isn't phooey. This happens a lot.

One of my friends tried to set up another one of our girlfriends with one of his guy friends because he thought they'd have lots in common because they both wear glasses. I'm not making this up. My girlfriend is gorgeous and his friend was a combination of Napoleon and his brother Kip from Napoleon Dynamite times 5. And he told our guy friend that he wasn't interested in her lol.

I've also been told I'm picky for not being open to ex-cons and senior citizens.

Old 08-24-2014, 01:44 PM

1,165 posts, read 1,221,237 times
Quote:

I agree, women are told to settle. I often get told I am picky but men aren't.
These kinds of responses are very strange to me. It seems women always jump to extremes here.

When we suggest stop being so picky, it means to maybe relax on the height requirements, looks requirements, educational requirements, etc. I knew a woman once that disqualified guys if they didn't like the same sports teams as her. That's ridiculous.

Not dating a bum with multiple kids is not being too picky, but is perfectly sensible.

Old 08-24-2014, 01:46 PM

52,289 posts, read 52,723,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
This isn't phooey. This happens a lot.

One of my friends tried to set up another one of our girlfriends with one of his guy friends because he thought they'd have lots in common because they both wear glasses. I'm not making this up. My girlfriend is gorgeous and his friend was a combination of Napoleon and his brother Kip from Napoleon Dynamite times 5. And he told our guy friend that he wasn't interested in her lol.

I've also been told I'm picky for not being open to ex-cons and senior citizens.
Upgrade your friends then.

No one with a brain is gonna call a person picky for not wanting to date a man that doesn't have a job and has a few kids with different women that he doesn't' support.

I ain't buying it.

It just goes against basic logic.

I was born at night.

Just not last night.

Old 08-24-2014, 01:47 PM

1,165 posts, read 1,221,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflyfish View Post
In my opinion, women are not picky enough. You have to kiss a lot of frogs, as they say. I see women getting impatient, or losing hope that they'll never meet "Mr. Right", so they settle for a frog.

Mostly, I think people are just too impatient. I hear both men and women who are barely out of college, feeling hopeless and worrying that they will spend their lives alone, just because they haven't found the right person yet.

The divorce rate would be lower if people had more patience and were a lot pickier. Just my opinion.

I married my husband at age 50, after having been single for more than 18 years. He was worth the wait! I'm so glad that I didn't jump into marriage with any of the other dudes I dated. They were decent and good men but not right for me. You don't find men like my husband around every street corner, he is a rare gem.
Waiting until you're 50 is all well and good....unless you want kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships