Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2014, 02:37 AM

3,467 posts, read 8,146,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflyfish View Post
You are saying that attractive women want to date attractive men. OMG, how dare they!

I guess they didn't get the memo that they should be dating unattractive men with crummy jobs and bad personalities.
Really! The 6 foot and modelesque standard is off (too specific and not necessarily what every woman wants), but physical attraction is not unreasonable to ask if you yourself qualify as such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 02:51 AM

2,704 posts, read 1,832,148 times
Back on topic, I was reading that the probability of an adult getting married at some point during their lifetime is still nearly 90 percent. Those are excellent odds if you ask me.

Source: Andrew J. Cherlin, The Marriage-Go-Round: The State of Marriage and Family in America Today (New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 2009

Old 08-25-2014, 07:02 AM

663 posts, read 778,468 times
Quote:
You are saying that attractive women want to date attractive men. OMG, how dare they!

I guess they didn't get the memo that they should be dating unattractive men with crummy jobs and bad personalities.

Then you go on to say that quality women are as rare "unicorns". Sounds a lot like the pot calling the kettle black, doesn't it?
No because a 6 foot plus man is about 15% of the population.

Cross reference that with a 6 foot GOOD looking man, with decent income....you are gonna get about 3% of the population.

If you consider yourself top 3% in looks for a woman, then by all means go for it. But I reckon most girls here are just average at best and demanding the top 3% of men.

This is very simple statistics here.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Back on topic, I was reading that the probability of an adult getting married at some point during their lifetime is still nearly 90 percent. Those are excellent odds if you ask me.

Source: Andrew J. Cherlin, The Marriage-Go-Round: The State of Marriage and Family in America Today (New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 2009
Probability of getting married is 90% and probability of getting divorced is 50%...you do the math.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:07 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,806,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techcrium View Post
Probability of getting married is 90% and probability of getting divorced is 50%...you do the math.
Fifty Percent of American Marriages End in Divorce-Fiction!

It's basic math.

Quote:

A spokesperson for the U.S. National Center for Health Statistics told me that the rumor appears to have originated from a misreading of the facts. It was true, he said, if you looked at all the marriages and divorces within a single year, you'd find that there were twice as many marriages as divorces. In 1981, for example, there were 2.4 million marriages and 1.2 million divorces. At first glance, that would seem like a 50-percent divorce rate.

Virtually none of those divorces were among the people who had married during that year, however, and the statistic failed to take into account the 54 million marriages that already existed, the majority of which would not see divorce.

Urban myths that are repeated over and over and over with no backing just bug the heck out of me.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:07 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Quote:

If you get married, the probability of that first marriage ending is about 30%, so a 70% chance you stay married to the person you married.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
If you get married, the probability of that first marriage ending is about 30%, so a 70% chance you stay married to the person you married.
Ok so what that means is

0.9 times 0.7 = 63%

63% probability you get married AND stay married

Which means a third of the people will either not marry at all or divorce sometime in the future.

Odds don't look so great now does it?

Old 08-25-2014, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Ok so what that means is

0.9 times 0.7 = 63%

63% probability you get married AND stay married

Which means a third of the people will either not marry at all or divorce sometime in the future.

Odds don't look so great now does it?

They look pretty great to me.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
They look pretty great to me.
Doing something with one third chance of either being single forever or costly divorce with lawyers, kids splitting, home splitting, etc?

That's terrible odds.

I don't know what you are smoking.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:50 AM

You're, once again, making many poor assumptions. That people that remain unmarried aren't happily remaining unmarried and that they are single; also that people that divorce have children, and have costly divorces. Not a single person I know that divorced had a costly one with lawyers battling it out.

Is marriage a risk? Sure. Doing almost anything worthwhile is a risk. But if you don't want to get married, don't, no sweat off my back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships