Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2009, 08:39 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times

Advertisements

We haven't seem the misquitos yet but the flies have never totally called it good bye for the season..At least the gnats are gone for now..

Nita

Old 02-09-2009, 09:20 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,752,582 times
Mosquitoes never go away in Louisiana.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:36 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,533,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
Thanks for taking the ole Nutt off our hands! Enjoy the winning while it lasts, he'll get complacent soon enough.
Exactly. He's already fulfilled his bowl win quota for the Rebs.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:00 PM

763 posts, read 2,661,034 times
I was up at my house in Pangburn Ar. this weekend. I got several mosquito bites Saturday. It's on the little Red River but still seems early to be fighting bugs. Also seen wasp & bees.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:48 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,208,608 times
The tree frogs started emerging yesterday. Hundreds of them crossing the roads.

I remembered instantly how much I miss their summer singing.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:30 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
The tree frogs started emerging yesterday. Hundreds of them crossing the roads.

I remembered instantly how much I miss their summer singing.
that is like our birds, they are everywhere and it is amazing, I just love them, too bad I have no idea what kind any of them are. I have tried to google birds in NWA but get almost nothing.

Nita

Old 02-11-2009, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
too bad I have no idea what kind any of them are. I have tried to google birds in NWA but get almost nothing.

Nita
Those are "them" birds, Nita.

My wife identifies them all the time.....

"LOOK!! It's one of *them* birds".

We also have "that" bat.......

Old 04-23-2009, 08:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,414 times
Default Arkansas - well, yes and no

I guess there is a generally low opinion of Arkansas and Arkansans, but hatred? I doubt if most people care that much one way or another.
Rednecks? Yes we have them (so does New Jersey).
Hatred of other races? Not even in the same league as Michiganders.
Confederate flags? Occasionally. Sometimes it racial (t-shirt: "You have your X, I have mine"). Sometimes it's general immature rebelliousness. Sometimes it is people who wish to honor their ancestors. Occasionally it's someone who is still sore about how the South was treated in the War and the aftermath (badly).
Crime? Yes, similar situation to everywhere else, I guess. A growing number of lowlifes and bums of all persuasions.
Roads? Deplorable. Local highway builders are perfectly capable of building a new road which pitches your car in different directions and forms small lakes when it rains. But my friends, the Bayshore Freeway in California is no treat either.
Drivers? Perhaps not quite as bad as Certain Californians, but there is way too much mule-and-wagon consciousness, and doltish I'm-the-only-car-on-the-roadism. We haven't caught on to such basic concepts as Right of Way, and turn signals - somewhat like Boston I understand.
Now, in order to understand Arkansas, you have to realize that the natives' opinions; religious, social, sexual, don't necessarily translate into objectionable behavior. The same people who might use unkind expressions among themselves might be the same people who are truly good neighbors and citizens, who would never think of speaking to a stranger unkindly, regardless of his status.
Arkansas is a place where the races might be critical of each other, but that doesn't stop them from chatting freely in the grocery line.
Does that happen much where you come from?

Old 04-24-2009, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.Hilborn View Post
I guess there is a generally low opinion of Arkansas and Arkansans, but hatred? I doubt if most people care that much one way or another.
Rednecks? Yes we have them (so does New Jersey).
Hatred of other races? Not even in the same league as Michiganders.
Confederate flags? Occasionally. Sometimes it racial (t-shirt: "You have your X, I have mine"). Sometimes it's general immature rebelliousness. Sometimes it is people who wish to honor their ancestors. Occasionally it's someone who is still sore about how the South was treated in the War and the aftermath (badly).
Crime? Yes, similar situation to everywhere else, I guess. A growing number of lowlifes and bums of all persuasions.
Roads? Deplorable. Local highway builders are perfectly capable of building a new road which pitches your car in different directions and forms small lakes when it rains. But my friends, the Bayshore Freeway in California is no treat either.
Drivers? Perhaps not quite as bad as Certain Californians, but there is way too much mule-and-wagon consciousness, and doltish I'm-the-only-car-on-the-roadism. We haven't caught on to such basic concepts as Right of Way, and turn signals - somewhat like Boston I understand.
Now, in order to understand Arkansas, you have to realize that the natives' opinions; religious, social, sexual, don't necessarily translate into objectionable behavior. The same people who might use unkind expressions among themselves might be the same people who are truly good neighbors and citizens, who would never think of speaking to a stranger unkindly, regardless of his status.
Arkansas is a place where the races might be critical of each other, but that doesn't stop them from chatting freely in the grocery line.
Does that happen much where you come from?
Although I pretty much totally agree with you, you'll find many opposing opinions around here.

I think that as with every state, every region, if all wishes and desires were met, we'd have a thread about, "Why do we not have igloos in Arkansas like Alaska does?"

Life would be perfect if we had igloos.

But then, we'd need....*more* igloos.

I was having coffee on the deck this morning, watching the sun rise, birds singing, a slight breeze, and I paused briefly to wonder is someone else was replication my routine, but thinking, "What can I be unhappy about today?"

Then I immediately went back to appreciating my environ, that I'm relatively healthy, have all my limbs, and although there are many issues in this world I'd like to see resolved, my glass is 2/3 full, not 1/3 empty.

Maybe I'll find something to be unhappy about tomorrow.

Old 04-24-2009, 02:45 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,985,404 times
so what state would you least like to live in? arkansas wouldnt be my pick, but im not fond of heat, humidity, storms and snakes sunning themselves in my rural drive way, so i think id still have to pass on ark.

as far as pple goes, you can find that backward mindset many places. quite a number of racial hate groups through the south, but i notice missouri has more than arkansas does according to the splcenter.org. ark has some very pretty parts, but think id prefer being one of them damn yankees visiting than being a local. SPLCenter.org: Hate Groups Map

as far as the evil walmart, there were chain stores before walmart was a giant that cluttered and created sprawl. i agree box stores and strip malls are everywhere anymore, and certainly as american as apple pie and a giant suv. my problem with them is they carry mostly junk at now very inflated prices, and due to greed, they are losing that edge of being the one with the low price. i cant believe the price increases on small items, percentage wise. if they continue like this i think they will be shooting themselves in the foot, in the long run. so i really hate them too, but because i despise being cheated. they do come into towns and out price the locals, but the local government lets them in. no one wants to spend more than they have to, especially these days. im not going to contribute to a local store when they are over priced on an item for what ever reason. but to hate the state cuz walmart started there? thats like hating texas cuz the bush is from there.

of course its all a matter of how you live not so much where you live. poor, and alone sucks anyplace, despite the climate and locals attitudes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas