Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2011, 02:14 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,842,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Unbelievable...Disbelief in gods or anything else does NOT make a religion.
It requires an equal amount of faith to believe there is no God as there is to believe there is one. Both can't be absolutely proven. That sure sounds like a religion to me. If it walks like a duck...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Are we on topic...yes we are. Thanks for your post and the smilies.

VA CollegeStudent writ: "don’t waste your time trying to convince others by debating with them, what will you achieve from this?"

I ask myself that question regularly. In a former forum I had the sig 'The truth is important'.

In a world where the only meaning is what we hold to be meaningful, the truth is indeed important. It is important to me and I have to believe it is important to others. There are very few theists who, while admitting that they have Faith, would be happy to admit that there was nothing to support their beliefs but Faith. They may find faith helpful in plastering over a few doubtful patches in the body of evidence that supports their Faith but they do (like all of us) want to believe that their beliefs are supported by a reasonable amount of fact.

That it is demonstrable that all this 'Fact' is a concoction of tosh privatim et seriatem, is enough to make a lot of us feel convinced that the true facts have to be placed before the public simply in order that they are in a position to decide on the basis of ALL the facts, not just those which a college of churches with incomes to protect are minded to provide.

But that is not the only reason. It would be neccessary to do that even if churches just carried out their activities behind closed doors, but they do not or religion does not - it involves itself in every aspect of life - law, politics, education, medicine, media and blast it, it even wants to interfere in science.

It comes knocking on my door, it hands out tracts in the street, it expects people to pour in the door to praise God for a national tragedy. It wants more and more influence and control over peoples' lives, not less.

While we should know by now that you can't get through with reasoned argument to those who are not listening, I have to believe that there are a lot out there who are. They have doubts and questions. They want to hear the case for either side. This forum is just one of the many outlets where the best arguments for each side are made.

It is absolutely necessary that we do this.
After reading your copious notes, you still cannot prove that the non-existence of God is the truth. I still think you're trying to convince yourself of His non-existence, in my opinion.

Old 08-09-2011, 02:39 PM

17 posts, read 11,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
It requires an equal amount of faith to believe there is no God as there is to believe there is one. Both can't be absolutely proven. That sure sounds like a religion to me. If it walks like a duck...
So while we cannot unequivocally prove that the martian from the Bugs Bunny cartoons lives on the far side of the moon in a cave, we also can't unequivocally prove that he DOESN'T.

So the chances of Marvin Martian living on the far side of the moon are equal to the chances of him NOT living there!

Makes sense! See?

Old 08-09-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchma Quchi View Post
So while we cannot unequivocally prove that the martian from the Bugs Bunny cartoons lives on the far side of the moon in a cave, we also can't unequivocally prove that he DOESN'T.

So the chances of Marvin Martian living on the far side of the moon are equal to the chances of him NOT living there!

Makes sense! See?
Ah, but we have proven there is no life on the moon empirically, actual life or animated! ( I do love Marvin Martian, though -- thanks for posting him!)

Old 08-09-2011, 03:13 PM

By the way, I fully support the right of atheists to worship Darwin, human reason, Marvin Martian, or whomever floats your boat. This is America, after all...

Old 08-09-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Does it require an equal amount of faith to believe that an invisible unicorn that smells like cherry blossoms visits me each night to ward off the licorice breathing dragon that comes to steal my eyebrows and dreams? Or is that just ridiculous?

You're a 'quack'
No, I think that would require a heavy dosage of anti-psychotics, but whatever floats your boat. You're free to worship as you choose. By the way, I hear that Tic Tacs do wonders for licorice breath.

Last edited by kiggy; 08-09-2011 at 03:22 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-09-2011, 03:26 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
Quote:
No, I think that would require a heavy dosage of anti-psychotics, but whatever floats your boat. You're free to worship as you choose. By the way, I hear that Tic Tacs do wonders for licorice breath.
My beliefs are no more in need of medication than the idea that 7 billion members of humanity originated from a man made from dust and a woman made from his rib who were tempted to eat an apple by a talking snake and punished my a misogynistic murderous thug with self-esteem issues.

Old 08-09-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Ah, but we have proven there is no life on the moon empirically, actual life or animated! ( I do love Marvin Martian, though -- thanks for posting him!)
Fine, so not the moon.

We'll use some unnamed planet in a distant galaxy.

Marvin Martian: 50% chance of him existing/not existing.

Do you truly believe that?

Old 08-09-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
My beliefs are no more in need of medication than the idea that 7 billion members of humanity originated from a man made from dust and a woman made from his rib who were tempted to eat an apple by a talking snake and punished my a misogynistic murderous thug with self-esteem issues.
No one's arguing with you -- like I said, we have freedom of religion in this country, and you can believe as you like. Same with me. Why are atheists so angry? Goodness...

By the way, I'm not sure who this mysogynistic murderous thug is, but you really shouldn't be eating after 8 pm, or so I'm told. Those are pretty hefty nightmares you have going. Peace.

Old 08-09-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Don't forget that magic 400-foot Ark that somehow fit about 3 million species of animals, none of whom managed to render other species extinct by, you know, eating them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism