Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2018, 10:02 PM

29,517 posts, read 22,653,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
That comeback cost a lot of Kansas backers though by a half point! Ironically, same thing last game for Kansas vs Seton Hall with a crazy 3 pointer at the end that wasn't so meaningless for some. I am still not enamored with Kansas, but they keep finding a way. Seems for so long, even the Roy Williams years, the less regarded KU teams reach the Final 4. The vintage teams fold like a cheap tent. This is not a vintage Kansas team despite the 1 seed.
If Duke holds on, should be a good matchup with Kansas, but Syracuse still has signs of hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
the guy on Clemson got the Grayson Allen treatment on that f1 reviewed just before the half, that was some garbage and they still got rather close. refs were clearly keeping Villinova in the game against WVA as well bummer they didnt just let them play
Agree, that was annoying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2018, 10:22 PM

939 posts, read 505,962 times
Dead atmosphere for 2 marquee programs in a Sweet 16 matchup. But that tells you it's mostly Kansas fans who gobbled up all the tix in nearby Omaha. I don't know why Syracuse plays like they do in the regular season. This is legitimately a good team that somehow plays like garbage too often before the tourney. I don't expect Texas Tech to cause Villanova much of an issue in the other game Sunday. And perhaps after tonight, things are normalizing in this Tournament?

Old 03-23-2018, 10:41 PM

2,327 posts, read 3,935,664 times
Texas Tech makes its first elite eight appearance in team history.

Old 03-24-2018, 02:37 AM

3,143 posts, read 2,659,627 times
duke.

Old 03-24-2018, 06:46 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,611,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe01 View Post
Texas Tech makes its first elite eight appearance in team history.
Buddy Holly's Lubbock should be proud.

Old 03-24-2018, 06:52 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
I know I'm a day late on this but as a Kentucky hater I couldn't wait to see the story of the players not shaking the K State player's hands. Then I saw the pics, they were shaking hands with their coaches but the K State players were nowhere to be found as they celebrated with their fans. I don't blame the players for celebrating but are the Kentucky players now expected to wait for them to finish their celebration? No I think that criticism was totally unfair.

Old 03-24-2018, 06:54 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
The Sweet Sixteen has always been my favorite round. Still a ton of games, Cinderalla is always alive somewhere, the bad teams are gone and we end up with good teams and a lot of games that are really good. We got that Thursday for sure, last night not so much.

Old 03-24-2018, 08:29 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
The Sweet Sixteen has always been my favorite round. Still a ton of games, Cinderalla is always alive somewhere, the bad teams are gone and we end up with good teams and a lot of games that are really good. We got that Thursday for sure, last night not so much.

The WVU/Nova game felt like a big east matchup from ten years ago

WVU is physical, their press really took Nova out of their game even in their half court offense through the first 28 minutes.

Say what you will but putting up 90 against that D was impressive. Nova battled through and really didn't play a good game. Divincenzo couldn't walk, Booth has been missing I think this jumps starts them

keeping my fingers crossed.

I do agree on the Double T, while not knowing what was said was an odd time and a 4th for the WVU big (he is a monster, his forearms look bigger than most people thighs and the two handed block was tremendous) I still think nova would have won at that point

WVU looked more like a two than a 5 (good showing from the BigXII this year)

That said I thought mostly the game was called well, possibly the most physical game thus far in the tourney

We could go back and forth and the WVU big guy (forget his name) got away with two elbows both going against nova. A few calls could have gone either way and there was just a lot of physical play. Tough game to officiate and on the whole I think did a good job sans the double t

Old 03-24-2018, 08:42 AM

2,348 posts, read 3,465,338 times
This has been a fun tournament IMO. I love the lower seeds beating up the higher ranked teams. Might show you that the selection committee screwed the pooch on some of their picks but also you get a team that gets hot it doesn't matter.

Excited Slimeapari lost. Has there ever been a coach that does less with more talent than him? Serious question. He's a great used car salesman but not much of an in game coach.

Kansas vs Duke should be a great game. Villanova looking good from their side isn't a surprise.

My GF picked Loyola vs. Duke in the final game. I laughed. Her bracket is now better than mine.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:09 AM

939 posts, read 505,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
This has been a fun tournament IMO. I love the lower seeds beating up the higher ranked teams. Might show you that the selection committee screwed the pooch on some of their picks but also you get a team that gets hot it doesn't matter.

Excited Slimeapari lost. Has there ever been a coach that does less with more talent than him? Serious question. He's a great used car salesman but not much of an in game coach.

Kansas vs Duke should be a great game. Villanova looking good from their side isn't a surprise.

My GF picked Loyola vs. Duke in the final game. I laughed. Her bracket is now better than mine.
Calapari is like many of the elite programs' coaches: a used car salesman in essence. Many of them really are better recruiters than they are coaches. Doesn't mean they are bad coaches either when it comes to Xs and Os. Roy Wlliams is one however that has never impressed me. Rick Pitino, say what you want about him, probably the best I've seen when you combine pedigree and being a top notch tactician. John Beilein has Michigan two games away from the final, both in which they will be favored. In my mind, he is the best coach today. Rick Majerus and Brad Stevens were the greatest college coaches I ever saw. Screw pedigree and not having won national championships, etc...

Loyola reminds me in some ways of Butler in 2010. Porter Moser I imagine is going to be receiving some calls from Pitt as soon the Ramblers's season ends. That may still be a ways away, as Loyola might still be playing a week from Monday. Wouldn't stun me.

In-game coaching matters more than ever, i.e being able to make the proper adjustments and drawing up the right plays in crunch time. These teams are too equal in the modern era. No coincidence there seems to be more close games than ever. Some of it is equal talent and some of it too is due to game being over-officiated and micro-managed too much by the refs (that seems to sum up the modern day NFL as well). I'm not a Bruce Weber believer at all. There are six remaining who I do believe in. One I honestly know nothing about (Texas Tech) and I don't even recall his name off the top of my head. Others I still regard as very good coaches, but clearly seemed to wilt in the big moment. Chris Mack and Eric Musselman possibly cost Xavier and Nevada victories with their inexplicable decision making late in games.

Last edited by SonnyCrockett; 03-24-2018 at 09:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball