Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 09:08 AM

333 posts, read 1,148,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
If not many whites are there and the locales have a lot of crime is this crime based on a simple hatred of humanity? Plus, if you avoid these areas, how can you be so sure? You are making a big leap.

You base this view on what? Particularly since you have very little experience with these areas?
Manigault, I really am tired of your nonsense. First of all, as I stated earlier, I work in law enforcement on the West Side of Chicago, along with many surrounding suburbs. And any white man walking through these areas at night are either drug users or police. Ask any black resident in these areas, and they will agree. Your extreme liberalism is not only naive, but sickening. You are the epitomy of what has ruined this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 09:13 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,034,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
Had a college professor that used to say that the south-west suburbs (Frankfort, Mokena, Orland and Tinley Park, Homer Glen, Palos Park, Hills, and Heights)were like Wonder Bread to her reminding her of the movie Pleasantville and now I understand what she meant. They're white, sleepy hollows, where people live in a bubble and everything is all cheery and there's no such thing as blacks, mexicans, gays, atheists, jews, street/homeless people, people who struggle to live paycheck to paycheck, and a recession? Where? Ever see Orland Square Mall or the restaurants in town on a Friday or Saturday night? Its like everyone just won the lottery. Its the norm down here to hand over mom and dad's credit card to the kids and just say have fun, sending the kids to join the hundreds of other lil' brats over at Orland Square Mall to crowd everything up so the kids can just buy whatever they want down here and go on about what a bunch of A Holes their parents are and how they didn't get the Ferrari or Porche they wanted for Christmas. Yes these are things I hear when I'm at the mall. Golly gee I love going there.
Sounds like your hater of a "teacher" brain washed you and her students. don't be envious. in fact, those towns' populations have been booming for the past 15-20 years simply due to COOK COUNTY types and CHICAGOANS moving there to get exactly what you described. what's wrong with towns that don't have homeless people and much crime? LOL...what a silly post. i'd send you a DM but you don't seem to be able to get them...what supposed "college" did this hater "teach" at?

seriously, what an obnoxious post/dialogue by this supposed "teacher." it sounds more like this "teacher" of yours was a drill sergeant breaking down easily broken young adults and molding them into far left winged future commie soldiers.

really, really...what honorable person would even want neighbors who struggle and live pay check to pay check (thus the odds are they are depressed all the time and it rubs off on their kids and neighborhood) unless they, themsleves, live pay check to pay check? birds of a feather flock together. what honorable person would really want homeless people roaming the streets where their children and loved ones live? do you even comprehend the things this "teacher" said to you? Homeless people bring drugs and crimes...yes I wish there were thousands of them in my neighborhood so my children could interact with them and ask them all kinds of questions like how they became homeless. lol...not!

I think you are just an Orland Park rebel looking to stand out from the crowd. Are you too good for most Orland Park residents? Do you live in Orland Hills or Orland Park? There's a big difference.

And to think there are not gays and jews in these towns doesn't represent an opinion based in much exposure. the gays are out there and those towns are amongst the richest in the chicago southland.

Last edited by At1WithNature; 01-14-2009 at 09:43 AM..

Old 01-14-2009, 09:32 AM

Your post represents a lack of exposre to upper class towns such as Frankfort which has subdivisions, such as Georgetown, which are 75% black and hispanic. And they have been that way for over a decade. Crime? None. Gargages? 4 door. Homes??? Try $700,000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
That's very exaggerated. You can walk freely around most black areas an no one will pay any attention to you.

Still, I'm not sure why some people see the need to excoriate you for preferring to live in a white upper-middle-class area. Who cares? Personally, it's not my preference, and not really so much because it isn't "real" to avoid the crippled, homeless, destitute, underemployed, miserable, whatever. There's something I find cheesy about places like Orland. The homogeneity of thought bores me.

More practically, though, I sense that many of these white-flight destinations won't be very resilient to what lies ahead . Soon, middle and upper-middle-class blacks and Latinos will move out there to enjoy the same benefits (schools, shopping, low crime). If everyone has your attitude then your white safe haven will be gone within five years.

Much better to move somewhere that has embraced and managed racial diversity and overcome white flight. These places won't disappear overnight when Hispanics or blacks start to move in. When people stay put property values don't decline and the quality of new home buyers will be high (regardless of race). Soon, you'll realize that, regardless of superficial cultural differences, you are likely to have as much in common as with anyone in someplace like Orland Park. Unless you can build a wall around your community, this is the best way to thrive.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:41 AM

333 posts, read 1,148,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
Sounds like your hater of a "teacher" brain washed you and her students. don't be envious. in fact, those towns' populations have been booming for the past 15-20 years simply due to COOK COUNTY types and CHICAGOANS moving there to get exactly what you described. what's wrong with towns that don't have homeless people and much crime? LOL...what a silly post. i'd send you a DM but you don't seem to be able to get them...what supposed "college" did this hater "teach" at?

seriously, what an obnoxious post/dialogue by this supposed "teacher." it sounds more like this "teacher" of yours was a drill sergeant breaking down easily broken young adults and molding them into far left winged future commie soldiers.

really, really...what honorable person would even want neighbors who struggle and live pay check to pay check (thus the odds are they are depressed all the time and it rubs off on their kids and neighborhood) unless they, themsleves, live pay check to pay check? birds of a feather flock together. what honorable person would really want homeless people roaming the streets where their children and loved ones live? do you even comprehend the things this "teacher" said to you? Homeless people bring drugs and crimes...yes I wish there were thousands of them in my neighborhood so my children could interact with them and ask them all kinds of questions like how they became homeless. lol...not!

I think you are just an Orland Park rebel looking to stand out from the crowd. Are you too good for most Orland Park residents? Do you live in Orland Hills or Orland Park? There's a big difference.

And to think there are not gays and jews in these towns doesn't represent an opinion based in much exposure. the gays are out there and those towns are amongst the richest in the chicago southland.
Once again I will state that NYRULES description of Orland Park sounds like Heaven and a Safehaven that I am searching for. Hopefully people with Oak Park mentalities do not travel that far south.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:48 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,077,914 times
Interesting. You are correct, I'm not familiar with this type of scenario. My experience is mostly from the south side and nearer-in southern suburbs.
Quote:
Your post represents a lack of exposre to upper class towns such as Frankfort which has subdivisions, such as Georgetown, which are 75% black and hispanic. And they have been that way for over a decade. Crime? None. Gargages? 4 door. Homes??? Try $700,000.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:57 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,187,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by promis1 View Post
Manigault, I really am tired of your nonsense. First of all, as I stated earlier, I work in law enforcement on the West Side of Chicago, along with many surrounding suburbs. And any white man walking through these areas at night are either drug users or police. Ask any black resident in these areas, and they will agree. Your extreme liberalism is not only naive, but sickening. You are the epitomy of what has ruined this country.

Well, let's not personalize this. I ask you what you base your opinions on and you throw out some insults and conclusory statements. Nice. If you work in law enforcement you must be familiar with what is called 'evidence'?

You find the quote in which you claim Obama said he wanted a black successor yet?

Old 01-14-2009, 01:23 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times
ajolotl and Avengerfire aren't as far off as this dispute makes them appear. I personally avoid walking around/shopping in many of the neighborhoods ajolotl mentioned as part of his routine, but I don't doubt that they can be traversed without incident. Walking around bad neighborhoods where you stick out like a sore thumb definitely increases your chances of getting mugged or assaulted, but increased chances don't equal a sure thing. I've walked around the nicer blocks of the Austin neighborhood (Galewood, The Island, The Historic District) several times without incident. But I do watch my back and realize there's increased risk.

What was the point of this again? I think most white people realize it's stupid to walk around Englewood, Garfield Park, and most of Austin. I know a lot of people that promis1 would classify as "liberals", and they are aware of this too. The assertion that there are a bunch of lovey dovey liberals who want to hold hands and skip through poor black neighborhoods singing Kum Ba Ya is pretty ridiculous. Leave that to the left wingnuts like "Slim" Coleman and Helen Shiller.

Last edited by Lookout Kid; 01-14-2009 at 01:42 PM..

Old 01-14-2009, 10:34 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
...The assertion that there are a bunch of lovey dovey liberals who want to hold hands and skip through poor black neighborhoods singing Kum Ba Ya is pretty ridiculous. Leave that to the left wingnuts like "Slim" Coleman and Helen Shiller.
You forgot Father Phleger.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:12 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,510,990 times
Quote:

First off I live in Orland Park among all of it and NO I def. do NOT feel too good for Orland Park residents, so before you cry the jelously crap I've been hearing for years here about how Orland Hills residents are jelous of OP residents stop.

The parents are usually ok, but its the brats that run rampant in the town that I can't stand and they're everywhere. As for the area not being gay or poor or atheistic... Its NOT. It's largely conservative middle to upper class white folks that are VERY close minded to alternative lifestyles, races, and religions. Remember that Mosque fiasco? Remember the signs that were posted all over town? "Keep the terrorists out of our town"? Ring a bell?
I'd call that racist right there. And most of those signs were posted right on Village Hall's front lawn, true by angry residents, but what has all this crap proved? The Mosque has been up for what? 4 years now? and not a single plane has crashed into the mall, no bombs, no car bombs. all crap I heard from neighbors, people in stores you name it before that was built.... So what did that all prove? Closemindedness typical of the SW burbs.

As for the gay thing, I have even conducted this very experiment after a gay friend of mine pointed it out. Go on a site like Myspace and do a search to see how many gay people are out there around Orland Park you will get like 3 pages if that, then do another search around lets say Skokie or Evanston. Holy crap, you get over 10 pages. Hell I've been to Old Orchard Mall numerous times and you will see two dudes walking along holding hands and the nicest thing of it all is, NOBODY even looks or points them out. Try doing that in Orland Square. People may be gay in Orland like you point out, but due to the homophobia and conservative-ness that plaugues the town, these people will never come clean about who they are until they either move out of the town to more liberal burbs like Oak Park, Evanston, or the city, or just finally say the hell with it and come clean and lead a life of misery among all the conservatives who will look down their noses at them for being "different".

Its life in "The OP" and yes that is what the kids are refering to it as. The OP??? sounds wonderful doesn't it?

Old 01-15-2009, 10:37 AM

I agree with you about the kids. a lot of them are snobs and stuck up. i recently purchased a new cadillac (im in my mid 20's). i spent $3000 on rims, $2200 on custom sounds/lighting/new alarm with remote start, from Shockwave Customs, and was pretty much shocked to see how kids in orland have those things without the years of hard work that i put into getting it! that can suck but hey, they have rich parents and some will follow their rich parent's path while others become totally worthless to society save for Daddy's web made of money ready to catch them when they fall.

was this a teacher at Moraine Valley? thanks. and as far as the SW burbs, i agree that they have a "traditional" value structure. good for some, bad for some. it is what is. luckily, in chicagoland we get a variety of anything and everything that we want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs