Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2011, 04:48 PM

9,895 posts, read 1,272,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
I used to be a member of the church of Christ, and during my time on here when I used to debate baptism, I often used these verses. I thought I'd just repost them for the discussion currently going on, even though Joey said he'd probably not be back.

<<I'd like to say that I do not believe the water of baptism saves us, but Jesus' shed blood. I believe we come into contact with that shed blood when we are baptized (Rom 6:3). I also believe that in addition to faith, repenting, confessing, and being baptized, we must also remain faithful.

As for baptism though...

Let's go back to the day of Pentecost. (Acts 2:36-38) When the people asked, what must we do? Did Peter say, just have faith? No, he said, "Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost."

Or how about all of these that talk about baptism...

Who is saved?
Mark 16:16...He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

What saves us?
I Peter 3:21...The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:

How do we call on the name of the Lord?
Acts 22:16...And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

How do we come into contact with Jesus' death, and walk in a new life?
Romans 6:3-4...Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death? Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

How do we receive remission of sins?
Acts 22:16...And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

See also Acts 2:38 above.

How do we join the one body of Christ?
1 Cor 12:12-13...For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ. For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

How do we put on Christ?
Gal 3:27...For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
Awesome post. Thanks Ms Jamie Dawn.

Katie

Old 12-29-2011, 04:57 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,351,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
Awesome post. Thanks Ms Jamie Dawn.

Katie
You're very welcome.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:07 PM

531 posts, read 479,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyknish View Post

I will leave you all with this concluding thought. I believe that "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved", from the Old Testament Hebrews, to the sinner on the cross, to the centurion, to the Apostles, and to joeyknish ten years ago.
Galatians 2:21
I do not nullify the grace of God, for if righteousness were through the law, then Christ died for no purpose.

Romans 6: 14 For sin shall no longer be your master, because you are not under the law, but under grace.

Speaking here of the law of Moses. Our sins are forgiven a totally different way than they were in the OT. It is true we are to call on the name of the Lord, but also to repent, be born of water and the spirit, confess, etc.

In Galatians 3:23 But before faith came, we were kept in custody under the law, being shut up to the faith which was later to be revealed. 24 Therefore the Law has become our tutor to lead us to Christ, so that we may be justified by faith. 25 But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor. 26 For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus. 27 For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.

We are no longer under the tutor. If we are, then Christ died for nothing. The law could not save.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:53 PM

Quote:

This standard applies to everyone equally. Moreover, "God . . . does not change", so it's really extraordinary that He would require different standards for salvation just based on the era in which one lived. Psalm 55:19.
the 2 eras are separated by the cross. again... either they are separated by the cross or Christ died for nothing.

God does not change. it was always part of the plan for Christ to come here and die. Prophets in the OT predicted it. Christ predicted it before it happened.

the law had a purpose and that purpose was fulfilled.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:17 AM

91 posts, read 79,913 times
Okay - I will bite. What is your understanding of all of the books of the Old Testament?

Last edited by joeyknish; 12-30-2011 at 08:31 AM..

Old 12-30-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Okay - I will bite. What is your understanding of all of the books of the Old Testament?
Not really sure what you are asking... Are you asking what the old testament is or asking about the old law as it contrasts grace? I can answer both, just wondering what you are wanting.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
And I'm glad you're back!

Old 12-30-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomtkirk View Post
Not really sure what you are asking... Are you asking what the old testament is or asking about the old law as it contrasts grace? I can answer both, just wondering what you are wanting.
I have nothng specific in mind for the moment. I just want to know what you believe the OT means, looking for your definition of it.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomtkirk View Post
And I'm glad you're back!
Thank you, sir. The debate has been enlightening.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
I have nothng specific in mind for the moment. I just want to know what you believe the OT means, looking for your definition of it.
Gonna be a minute... Sorry, had to call tech support cause my system fan is trying to launch my tower into orbit... I hate updating with my phone... Shouldn't be too long... Stay with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.