U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: What is the Midwest's second city/metropolis?
Greater Detroit 65 41.67%
Greater Minneapolis/Saint Paul 91 58.33%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 05-17-2015, 10:56 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis (St. Louis Park)
5,991 posts, read 7,951,334 times
Reputation: 4214

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Yes....here is the thing. As an African American, I frequent BOTH the white community and the black community, were ever I go. I have interest in BOTH communities as I HAVE to interact in the white community just to make it in this corporate world. Thus, the white community and the black community COUNTS FOR ME and has value FOR ME. For many whites, however, the black community has no value to them....and hence.....a metro area whose core city is 85% black.....has little value to them....but for me, such a city has a lot of value because I interact with that community, have relationships, entertainment, etc.
Time to get over yourself.....the woe is me thing isn't going to get you far.

 
Old 05-18-2015, 07:18 AM
 
8,700 posts, read 6,375,168 times
Reputation: 3793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Yet MSP has a much faster and nominal growth in terms of blacks/African Americans than Detroit. So either misery loves company or your point is moot.
One, because the economy has been much better, and two, the Twin Cities is home to a LARGE African Immigrant community. I am not aware of the statistics that separate blacks between Africans and African Americans. I would say that a quarter of the black population in the Twin Cities are first or second generation Africans....and that number keeps growing.
 
Old 05-18-2015, 07:27 AM
 
8,700 posts, read 6,375,168 times
Reputation: 3793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi- View Post
Time to get over yourself.....the woe is me thing isn't going to get you far.
Usually....."get over yourself" and "woe is me" don't go together.....just sayin. They are contradictory, the former implies that one thinks too much of him or herself while the latter implies that one thinks very little of him or herself (hence the woe).

I stand by every point I have made. A person can make the claim that Greater Minneapolis is the second city in the Midwest in some metrics, and I would agree with that. However, no intelligent person would make the claim that Greater Minneapolis is more influential and important than Greater Detroit....unless their intelligence was constipated by some sort of bias. I mean, you barely ever hear about Minneapolis in national news, unless they are talking about how cold it is there.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 05-18-2015 at 07:38 AM..
 
Old 05-18-2015, 08:37 AM
AT9
 
Location: Midwest City, Oklahoma
691 posts, read 1,010,139 times
Reputation: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Usually....."get over yourself" and "woe is me" don't go together.....just sayin. They are contradictory, the former implies that one thinks too much of him or herself while the latter implies that one thinks very little of him or herself (hence the woe).

I stand by every point I have made. A person can make the claim that Greater Minneapolis is the second city in the Midwest in some metrics, and I would agree with that. However, no intelligent person would make the claim that Greater Minneapolis is more influential and important than Greater Detroit....unless their intelligence was constipated by some sort of bias. I mean, you barely ever hear about Minneapolis in national news, unless they are talking about how cold it is there.
Wow. Ok, so "no intelligent person" means the choice between which city is the second city should be an easy one, right? If so, you'd expect that the clear majority of people would say Detroit is the second city, with only a handful of idiots or MSP homers stating that MSP is the second city. That, or the City vs. City forum just has a lot more MSP homers than Detroit (however, given Detroit's larger metro and regional population, as you've noted several times, this seems unlikely).

So why is it that a clear majority think MSP is "soundly" the Midwest's second city?

Speaking of "constipated bias," where do you live/where are you from? Maybe I'm wrong, but something tells me you might have some sort of connection to Detroit or the region...

Yeah, you never hear about MSP in the national news: The Miracle of Minneapolis - The Atlantic

But you do hear about Detroit all the time: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...line.html?_r=0
 
Old 05-18-2015, 09:36 AM
 
52,845 posts, read 75,883,723 times
Reputation: 11649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
One, because the economy has been much better, and two, the Twin Cities is home to a LARGE African Immigrant community. I am not aware of the statistics that separate blacks between Africans and African Americans. I would say that a quarter of the black population in the Twin Cities are first or second generation Africans....and that number keeps growing.
This is also why there is a large economic gap between Blacks and Whites in that area, given the high educational attainment of many of the people there coupled with the high African refugee population there as well.
 
Old 05-18-2015, 10:27 AM
 
1,172 posts, read 1,187,561 times
Reputation: 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I mean, you barely ever hear about Minneapolis in national news, unless they are talking about how cold it is there.
Actually, you are wrong. Before I was recruited and relocated to Minneapolis, I had heard and read nothing but positive things about the area. Of course there is the cold weather, but that is one of very few negatives. Compare that to what one hears / reads about Detroit daily and well, I will take the cold and all the positives of Minneapolis over Detroit.

Last edited by YIMBY; 05-18-2015 at 11:16 AM..
 
Old 05-18-2015, 11:10 AM
 
1,660 posts, read 1,956,270 times
Reputation: 1588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
For many whites, however, the black community has no value to them....and hence.....a metro area whose core city is 85% black.....has little value to them....but for me, such a city has a lot of value because I interact with that community, have relationships, entertainment, etc.
Unfortunately, Detroit has a declining value to black folk because black folk are bailing from the city to live amongst the people in the suburbs who fled from them in the first place. We lost almost 200,000 black folk between 2000 and 2010. Outside of the downtown and riverfront and the numerous beautiful historic residential neighborhoods, Detroit proper offers very little to anybody.
 
Old 05-18-2015, 11:13 AM
 
Location: In the heights
20,303 posts, read 21,879,614 times
Reputation: 10343
I'm going to go out on a limb and say economic opportunity is generally better for pretty much anyone, regardless of race, in the Twin Cities area for most economic sectors and occupations and that is the primary driver for people to move (from and to).

Also, I believe that a lot of the inequality for the minority population in the Twin Cities have to do with the rather huge number of refugees in the area (from Somalia and Southeast Asia especially).
 
Old 05-18-2015, 11:16 AM
 
8,700 posts, read 6,375,168 times
Reputation: 3793
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT9 View Post
Wow. Ok, so "no intelligent person" means the choice between which city is the second city should be an easy one, right? If so, you'd expect that the clear majority of people would say Detroit is the second city, with only a handful of idiots or MSP homers stating that MSP is the second city. That, or the City vs. City forum just has a lot more MSP homers than Detroit (however, given Detroit's larger metro and regional population, as you've noted several times, this seems unlikely).

So why is it that a clear majority think MSP is "soundly" the Midwest's second city?

Speaking of "constipated bias," where do you live/where are you from? Maybe I'm wrong, but something tells me you might have some sort of connection to Detroit or the region...

Yeah, you never hear about MSP in the national news: The Miracle of Minneapolis - The Atlantic

But you do hear about Detroit all the time: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...line.html?_r=0
67% of people picked manny pacquiao to defeat Floyd Mayweather too. Obviously, Floyd, like Detroit, is not too popular among people. End the end, Floyd proved the majority wrong. I mean, basing an argument on popular opinion ignores the empirical evidence of how wrong that has often been....ergo....the earth being flat ring any bells.

By the way...if you take note of the for Detroit count in that poll.....you will not find my vote. That is because I thought it to absurd to even caste a vote.
 
Old 05-18-2015, 11:18 AM
 
8,700 posts, read 6,375,168 times
Reputation: 3793
Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
Actually, you are wrong. Before I was recruited and relocated to Minneapolis, I had heard and read nothing but positive things about the area. Of course there is the cold weather, but that is one of very few negatives. Compare that to what one hears / reads about Detroit daily and well, I will take the cold and all the positives of Minneapolis over Detroit.
Of course everything is relative and I am speaking relative here. You hear about Detroit much more because of the importance of the Domestic Auto Industry is to the economy. Minneapolis, granted, more diversified economy, but its economy does not impact America like Detroit's does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top