Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
St. Louis, MO 79 67.52%
Indianapolis, IN 38 32.48%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 09:30 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,294,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I am going to try this again also.
Could you please elucidate as to why you think that?
I've been downtown more times than I can count, being a native, I always see scores of people on the Plaza, they are not tourists, there isnt a ball game going on, either.
Whats that about?
If this is nothing more than a pissing match, I am not interested. Thanks anyway. You either get what I am saying or you don't. It doesn't really matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 09:35 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
If this is nothing more than a pissing match, I am not interested. Thanks anyway. You either get what I am saying or you don't. It doesn't really matter.
Its not a pissing match at all, I'm sorry if you cannot answer my question.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:54 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,294,566 times
Quote:
I'm sorry if you cannot answer my question.
I did. Twice.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I did. Twice.
What I am trying to get at with your posts is exactly why you keep saying that Kiener reminds you of the War Memorial, and why you say that Kiener is not integrated into its surrounding area, which it certainly is.
Are there some similarities between the 2?
Yes, but I fail to see why thats a negative, you havent said why that is, in your opinion.
Do you see what I am getting at?
Its not like Kiener is marooned, or a wasteland, like Ballpark Village, which is another story.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:19 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,471,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
your closer to head into suburban clayton for some shopping at the galleria on the other side that area. Unlike indy busch stadium isn't within walking distance to that area nor does it have as much downtown indy. Downtown indy has way more within in it's compacted core than any one single neighborhood st louis. Downtown st louis isn't what it use to be compared to it's hey day. The burbs killed it. It will become detroit which isn't the way to go. As far as monument circle, no it doesn't have as much activity as piccadilly or times square but it's something st louis really doesn't have...a central focal point..the markt. Sure monument circle could easily place huge video screens against and on top of buildings to get the piccadilly circus look but it is unique in it own way having the monument and fountain.

large active principal public squares:

New york > times square
london > piccadilly circus
indianapolis > monument circle
venice > piazza san marco

st louis > ???

As far as a monument, st louis wins with it's gateway arch
lol!

Cities with buildings:

NYC
Tokyo
Hong Kong
London
Indianapolis

Old 07-07-2011, 12:22 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,010,710 times
Got to give the Arch some props. Its a beautiful world-class structure (too bad it it is in a city well past its glory days)

Old 07-07-2011, 12:58 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,981,704 times
Quote:
Saying that STL is going to become another Detroit is delusional at best.
I'm not even going to quantify the rest of your remarks with a reply.
I will say this, music is a subjective subject, one cannot rate a city on their radio stations, not all of us are enamored of electronica.-blech-
Well, to each their it's part of my personal criteria. I love non mainstream trance, dance, house music. St Louis doesn't openly broadcast any like in cities of Chicago, Indy and Detroit. As far as Kiener Plaza, it's no Monument Circle or Piccadilly Circus.

St Louis doesn't have anything that brings the city streets together towards the center like Monument Circle. This is one of the best features of I love about this city. It's brings a diversity of people from around the city together rather than hiding out in the burbs or some reserved segregated neighborhood far and away from everything.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:01 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,981,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
lol!

Cities with successful principal civic plazas:

NYC
Tokyo
Hong Kong
London
Indianapolis
No St Louis?

Old 07-07-2011, 01:17 PM

34 posts, read 56,466 times
St Louis can hang it's hat on more than just one area of downtown unlike Indy. I like having a downtown plus many other urban neighborhoods to venutre out in. Soulard, Central West End, South Grand, Tower Grove, U City, The Hill, Lafayette Square, Dogtown, Benton Park to name a few. I am from the city of Chicago and there are neighborhoods here that remind me of home. Can't say the same for Indy.

Kind of sad that one of the "pros" of Indy is that they have a radio station that plays "house" music. Maybe one day St. Louis can be so lucky.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:21 PM

Default Fair St Louis

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
Well, to each their it's part of my personal criteria. I love non mainstream trance, dance, house music. St Louis doesn't openly broadcast any like in cities of Chicago, Indy and Detroit. As far as Kiener Plaza, it's no Monument Circle or Piccadilly Circus.

St Louis doesn't have anything that brings the city streets together towards the center like Monument Circle. This is one of the best features of I love about this city. It's brings a diversity of people from around the city together rather than hiding out in the burbs or some reserved segregated neighborhood far and away from everything.
Yeah, Kiener and the Arch grounds are just a vast wasteland over the 4th, arent they?
There are even -gasp- some folks from Ladue sprinkled in there!
Also, on the subject of music, I would daresay if there were a demographic large enough for an electronica station there would be one.
Its a simple equation of supply and demand.

http://0.tqn.com/d/stlouis/1/0/C/7/-...uis-Crowds.JPG

http://0.tqn.com/d/stlouis/1/0/A/7/-...is-Crowd-2.JPG

http://media.connectingstlouis.com/5...st-louis-9.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_xgLyP-rB8F.../livelevee.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City