Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2017, 12:30 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Saw that Chad Morris got/took the Arkansas gig.. That will be interesting to watch. How much credit of the success of Clemson's offense goes to him? I think a fair amount. He did a pretty dang good job at SMU.. That program hasn't been anything in 30 years and going from a 1 win season before he arrived to 7-5 this year is nice growth.

I think it's a good choice for Arkansas.

BTW.. I'm glad most of the arguments have died down about who should/shouldn't be in.. Not to stir it back up again.. While looking up SMU's records.. I came across this..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_S..._football_team

Take a look at the standings on the right.

Now.. Imagine that was one of the power 5 and that SMU won that championship game. That might be the biggest problem that I would have with 'automatic' conference winners getting in. Imagine a 8-5 Auburn getting an automatic berth over an 11-1 Alabama. That would blow the whole system up right there. And, you can say the 6 team playoff, well, Alabama would get in.. What if there was a 13-0 ACC Champion and a 12-1 loser of the ACC Championship game, lost on a last second FG?

I know.. Reaching a bit.. But, anything that can happen.. Eventually will.
I dont think people would have as big a problem as you think. After all, the ACC and Big East champs that went to the BCS were 9-4/8-4/8-5 a couple of times.

maybe a playoff would be such a different dynamic that they would though.

I think a 16 team playoff with 6 automatic bids and up to 10 ( top 4 + Power 5 champs and highest ranked group of 5) would be best, that way you have as many as 10 spots for the committee to think about.

Old 12-09-2017, 03:25 PM

9,763 posts, read 7,475,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernTiger View Post
All right...who y'all got for Army-Navy?

I think Army will win.

I would have taken Navy, little too late to make that pick though

Old 12-09-2017, 03:56 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,613,074 times
I've always been an Army guy!

Old 12-09-2017, 06:25 PM

9,763 posts, read 7,475,048 times
Well, I lost anyways.

BTW, what the hell is the idiot Navy coach doing playing for the 50 yard field goal on a snowy field?? College kickers are usually less accurate and can't kick it as far as their pro counterparts so even on a clear day with no precipitation and no wind playing for the 50 yard field goal in college would be dumb!

Old 12-12-2017, 08:21 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,443,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
Alabama should be in the playoff. Alabama should be credited with playing Florida State and beating them. But having said that, Alabama's non-conference scheduling leaves something to be desired thru the years. And scheduling middle-of-the-road programs that no one can safely assume will be good by the time the teams meet, isn't anything to admire, but nor hold against them. Mercer is a whole other realm. Alabama isn't the only one who does it, but it deserves harping on, especially if you aren't playing legitimate road games outside the conference like TAM88 pointed out.
Alabama was rewarded for a pathetic schedule.

https://scarletandgame.com/2017/12/1...-path-playoff/

The CFP committee also engaged in a massive CYA exercise by scheduling Auburn against UCF, the 12th ranked team, in the Peach Bowl, rather than Wisconsin or Penn State, let alone Ohio State. Why didn't the CFP want Ohio State matched against Auburn to prove the wisdom of the committee's decision?

Auburn during the season defeated both Georgia and Alabama, and a good case could be made that it deserved a play-off slot over Alabama given the Tide's pathetic schedule and lack of a signature win.

However, how dumb the committee would have looked if Auburn lost to a Big Ten opponent, or even was spanked, always a possibility.

The rewarding of Alabama for such a flimsy schedule was very detrimental to college football in the long run.

The CFP has decided to reward weak schedules and downgrade the importance of championships and quality wins.

Note that Ohio State's disastrous loss to Iowa on the road occurred between two victories over then top 10 ranked teams, and Penn State was ranked ninth in the final rankings and Michigan State 16th, ahead of number 17 LSU, Alabama's only top 25 victory based on the final rankings.

Pathetic decision by the committee IMO, but hiding Auburn in the Peach Bowl against UCF is disgusting. A match-up between Wisconsin and Auburn would have been one of the most watched and consequential bowl games and informed the committee for future years.

Are Auburn fans upset by their weak bowl game opponent, and, if not, why not?

A victory over Wisconsin or Penn State would have cemented a tremendous Auburn season.

ESPN IMO covered up all of this because it produces the SEC network.

Old 12-12-2017, 09:00 AM

17,595 posts, read 15,266,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
The CFP committee also engaged in a massive CYA exercise by scheduling Auburn against UCF, the 12th ranked team, in the Peach Bowl, rather than Wisconsin or Penn State, let alone Ohio State. Why didn't the CFP want Ohio State matched against Auburn to prove the wisdom of the committee's decision?

Auburn during the season defeated both Georgia and Alabama, and a good case could be made that it deserved a play-off slot over Alabama given the Tide's pathetic schedule and lack of a signature win.

However, how dumb the committee would have looked if Auburn lost to a Big Ten opponent, or even was spanked, always a possibility.
How dumb did they look last year putting Ohio State in and they get blown out 31-0?

Agreed that Alabama had a weak schedule. The Florida State game.. Nothing they could do about that. the rest of the schedule.. Hopefully they'll learn a lesson from this.

Auburn has no argument after the loss in the SEC championship. Ohio State also was hurt tremendously by the blowout loss to Iowa. Had either of those games not been blowouts.. Say Ohio State lost by 1 at Iowa, or.. No.. There's no way a 3 loss Auburn gets in.

Does Ohio State have an argument? Yes, but it basically completely contradicts their argument from last year. I think they got it right.. Alabama was the most deserving of the teams for the final slot. I don't think anyone has any argument about the first three teams, other than, perhaps, where they fall in the rankings. I could certainly entertain the opinion that Oklahoma should have been #1 and Clemson #2.

Alabama was very, very lucky and should realize it.. The cards fell perfectly for them to squeak in. One change here or there and they're watching on TV.

Old 12-12-2017, 09:13 AM

32,113 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Alabama was rewarded for a pathetic schedule.

https://scarletandgame.com/2017/12/1...-path-playoff/

The rewarding of Alabama for such a flimsy schedule was very detrimental to college football in the long run.

The CFP has decided to reward weak schedules and downgrade the importance of championships and quality wins.

Note that Ohio State's disastrous loss to Iowa on the road occurred between two victories over then top 10 ranked teams, and Penn State was ranked ninth in the final rankings and Michigan State 16th, ahead of number 17 LSU, Alabama's only top 25 victory based on the final rankings.

Pathetic decision by the committee IMO, but hiding Auburn in the Peach Bowl against UCF is disgusting. A match-up between Wisconsin and Auburn would have been one of the most watched and consequential bowl games and informed the committee for future years.

Are Auburn fans upset by their weak bowl game opponent, and, if not, why not?

A victory over Wisconsin or Penn State would have cemented a tremendous Auburn season.

ESPN IMO covered up all of this because it produces the SEC network.
If we're going to be honest with ourselves, Clemson likely would have done the same thing to Ohio State that they did last year. I'm sure they'd rather be playing Ohio State than Alabama.

Old 12-12-2017, 03:29 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
If we're going to be honest with ourselves, Clemson likely would have done the same thing to Ohio State that they did last year. I'm sure they'd rather be playing Ohio State than Alabama.
That's certainly what I was banking on.

Old 12-13-2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
That's the opinion of many, but consider that Ohio State was playing with an injured QB in the latter part of its season. Fox analyst Skip Bayless called the selection of Alabama over Ohio State "absurd."

https://ohiostate.247sports.com/Arti...surd-111688156

Ohio State also has a new linebacker coach who is learning on the job, and he apparently learned much from Oklahoma and Iowa losses. Ohio State had to replace almost its entire defensive backfield, and it has improved greatly over the course of the season.

Ohio State, based on recruiting rankings, is one of the top teams in the U.S.

Having significantly upgraded its offensive coordinator and QB coaching positions, Ohio State conceivably could be a much tougher bowl opponent this year.

The fact is that Alabama relatively speaking defeated nobody significant, unlike Ohio State.

And none of this excuses the fact that the CFP committee handed Auburn a relative patsy opponent in the Peach Bowl. Why, except to engage in a major bit of CYA that the national media didn't even question.

Surely Auburn, with much superior recruiting rankings, could have handily defeated Wisconsin. OR NOT.

Again Alabama was rewarded for a weak schedule, even though it had no conference championship.

Old 12-13-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Does Ohio State have an argument? Yes, but it basically completely contradicts their argument from last year.
Patently false, and yet many make this argument that Ohio State's argument was the same as Alabama's this year.

Last year Ohio State lost only a very close game on the road to Penn State on a fluke play in horrid playing conditions.

Last year, Ohio State had signature wins, including a dominating victory over Oklahoma on the road. Alabama has no comparable victories this year.

Last year, Ohio State's wins were far superior to those of Penn State.

This year, Alabama's wins are far inferior to those of Ohio State.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football