Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2018, 11:15 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
No, a an ice cream soda is not a float. Ice cream sodas get their fizz from carbonated (soda) water and their flavor from syrups (chocolate, strawberry, vanilla, etc. Ice cream floats get their fizz from pop (aka soda). No carbonated water, no syrup. So you can get a root beer float, a Coke float, a Dr. Pepper float, etc. I know this because I used to be a "soda jerk" back in the 70s .

Here's what Wikipedia says about this matter:
"In the United States, an "ice cream soda" typically refers to the drink containing soda water, syrup, and ice cream, whereas a "float" is generally ice cream in a soft drink (usually root beer)."

PS: Glad to hear Yoo-hoo is still around!
Oh wow, yeah I have NEVER heard of such a thing.

It may be a bygone era's treat? I recall that my parents have spoken about candies and drinks that were common when they were kids/young adults but were pretty much ancient history by the late 80's.

Although, the distinction is still kinda vague and hard for me to picture. I mean, pop gets its flavor from a syrup no matter how you drink it.

I wonder if it is survived somewhere in Buffalo or Rochester.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2018, 01:01 AM

4,597 posts, read 2,988,358 times
I don't know how widespread this is, but in DC they refer to license plates as "tags."

Old 09-08-2018, 07:07 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,870,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
I don't know how widespread this is, but in DC they refer to license plates as "tags."
It's interesting that you mentioned this. I once read an article about some dude, somewhere, who ordered a vanity license plate "NO TAGS". In his state, if a vehicle didn't have a valid plate, tickets or police reports would always say "no tags", in the field where the plate number was supposed to go. Sure enough, he started getting accusations that he didn't have a license plate, even when it was right there on his car. Kind of like, "But, but, but... our record says you have no tags."

He was later forced to change his license plate to something else.

Old 09-08-2018, 07:34 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Oh wow, yeah I have NEVER heard of such a thing.

It may be a bygone era's treat? I recall that my parents have spoken about candies and drinks that were common when they were kids/young adults but were pretty much ancient history by the late 80's.

Although, the distinction is still kinda vague and hard for me to picture. I mean, pop gets its flavor from a syrup no matter how you drink it.

I wonder if it is survived somewhere in Buffalo or Rochester.
We have them around here and throughout the deep south - "soda fountains." I have seen them in the upper south and Appalachians and Ozarks as well.

And there's definitely a difference between ice cream sodas and what we call a Coke float or a rootbeer float. With the floats, a big scoop of ice cream is simply put into a big glass or whatever of Coke or rootbeer (generally - never heard of any other types of soda being used). With ice cream sodas, there are various flavors of sodas mixed in with carbonated water and ice cream - it can be blueberry, lemon, vanilla, whatever you want.

Personally my favorite is a Coke float. My parents used to make those at home for a treat and we really thought we were doing something special!

I know you can get floats at Sonic and I think you can get ice cream sodas there as well - I wouldn't know because I always default to the Coke float - LOL.

Sometimes when we're with grandkids we will buy some vanilla ice cream and some Coke or root beer (or both) and make floats. YUM.

Old 09-08-2018, 07:51 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Colorado, too. It's not actually the plate that's referred to as a tag, it's the stickers you put on it from year to year. Here, you generally keep the same plate as long as you have the car.

Old 09-08-2018, 10:42 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
So that's what a tree lawn is. I moved to Cleveland a few years ago and had never heard that expression before. I lived in Chicago where we called that the "parkway" and Portland, OR where it was just the curbside.

In the PNW something expensive was "spendy." I don't here that here. Further downstate from Chicago a cake made from a box like Betty Crocker was a "Box Cake. " In Chicago it was a "Cake Mix."
Huh. I've never seen that anywhere but City-Data, and I thought people were just trying to be cutesy.

Cake Mix in NJ, too.

Old 09-08-2018, 10:45 AM

Quote:
They are just using a shortened form for "pizza pie". (When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's amore...)
We say it in NJ, too. "I'd like to order a large pie with mushroom."

Old 09-08-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
When I was a kid in Western NY, my aunt, from NYC, asked me if I wanted a soda. I asked what kind she had, expecting to hear flavors like chocolate, strawberry, vanilla, etc. She answered "7-Up or Coke". First time I realized that not everyone calls a sweetened, carbonated beverage that same thing as I do. Didn't think to ask her how she orders what I call a soda in a restaurant. Guess the soda crowd has to be more specific when they order: I'd like an *ice cream* soda, please.
Yes, an ice cream soda is a specific thing: Soda with ice cream in it!

Old 09-08-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
A lot of people in Louisiana use the word "stay" as a substitute for "live" as in "I work in Baton Rouge but I stay in Port Allen."
I noticed that a lot of people from India do the same thing when they are asking about places to live on the New Jersey forum. A "place to stay" to me infers short-term, temporary. You stay somewhere on vacation. You stay at a friend's house while visiting.

"I need a place to stay with a train commute to the city..", etc., but then they go on to talk about wanting good schools and Indian grocery stores, and I realize that they are looking for permanent housing.

Old 09-08-2018, 01:55 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
We have them around here and throughout the deep south - "soda fountains." I have seen them in the upper south and Appalachians and Ozarks as well.

And there's definitely a difference between ice cream sodas and what we call a Coke float or a rootbeer float. With the floats, a big scoop of ice cream is simply put into a big glass or whatever of Coke or rootbeer (generally - never heard of any other types of soda being used). With ice cream sodas, there are various flavors of sodas mixed in with carbonated water and ice cream - it can be blueberry, lemon, vanilla, whatever you want.

Personally my favorite is a Coke float. My parents used to make those at home for a treat and we really thought we were doing something special!

I know you can get floats at Sonic and I think you can get ice cream sodas there as well - I wouldn't know because I always default to the Coke float - LOL.

Sometimes when we're with grandkids we will buy some vanilla ice cream and some Coke or root beer (or both) and make floats. YUM.
I guess I just missed out! I asked my father about it last night and he says it is absolutely a thing. So, confirmed (not that I ever doubted y'all).

I suppose I ought to hunt it down then!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.