Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2010, 08:08 PM

871 posts, read 2,248,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
I live in the Midwest, and in a town that is Hillier than anywhere in Pennsylvania. So there.
then youve obviously never been to PA. southeastern ohio and southern MO are not really flat, same for southern IN and IL, but that rest is flat. but those areas are hardly typical of the midwest

PA is mountainous, unless you're all the way down near the coast.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:53 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,680,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
then youve obviously never been to PA. southeastern ohio and southern MO are not really flat, same for southern IN and IL, but that rest is flat. but those areas are hardly typical of the midwest

PA is mountainous, unless you're all the way down near the coast.

I know my Avatar says Twin Cities, but I have been in Duluth for about 2 years 'temprorarily" and truley believe that Duluth is one of the hilliest cities in America, definitely one of the Hilliest 'larger' cities in America. It's often referred to as the 'San Fran' of the Midwest.

My previous comment regarding hilliness was just to poke fun, as the OP said "There are parts of PA that are hillier than anywhere in the Midwest"...those type of comments just show how ignorant and unaware much of the country is when thinking about the midwest.

You say that there are parts of PA that are hillier than anywhere in the midwest, when that's just not true, especially when I live in the midwest in one of the hilliest cities in America.

I have been to PA too, just Philly though.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:57 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,680,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
It's quite unfortunate that stereotypes have so much influence on people's perceptions of a region, or a group of people. I think the media helps to perpetuate them, too.

We're really not all that different, though.

That's exactly it. With the internet, television, and real-time media, a kid from Rural Washington isn't really THAT different than a kid from Miami Beach... I'm sure they all Facebook, I'm sure they both play Ps3 or Xbox, I'm sure they follow the NFL, NBA or MLB, and I'm sure they know of the 'trendy' clothes, styles and other pop culutre trends.

The media does a great job at making the south seem backwards, the midwest hunky dory, and the coasts filled with crazy people.

Prime example: This summer I went to SD for a wedding, stayed a week and a half. I stayed in a 9 BR house, with about 15 other people, who were all mutual friends of the groom. After meeting and coming close with the group, it was brought to my attention that 1 couple was from Arizona, and another from Florida, while the rest of us were all from MN. I didnt even find out that there were people from AZ and FL staying with us, I just assumed that they were from MN. Nothing stuck out to me that said they were from anywhere other than MN.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:04 PM

159 posts, read 407,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I've grown up in the midwest my whole life, but I often get the impression that people don't like it that much. It's not like I have a chip on my shoulder, but it seems like the midwest, overall is maligned more than other regions. We're the "rust belt", boring, with bumpkin-ish people, the land is boring etc...

So why does the Midwest get a bum rap from so many people--or is it just in my head?

mackinac
1. It's thought of as boring and bland (except for Chicago)
2. harsh winters and cold
3. threat of tornadoes
4. it's stereotyped (at least somewhat justifiably) as being backwards

Old 04-06-2010, 08:26 PM

26,418 posts, read 46,591,155 times
The Ohio Valley does indeed feel very "backwards" in some areas compared to many other parts of the country. This is mainly related to the continued reliance on manufacturing jobs, the complacency for diversified growth, the below average number of college graduates, and the almost total monopoly of one electric provider that relies on big coal. Another item is the completely outdated infrastructure in many areas along with a good deal of blight and decay.
This area does have many positive attributes that include: very friendly people, very very low cost of living, no traffic, semi-decent neighborhoods, cultural amenities nearby, and solid outdoor amenities.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:08 PM

6,344 posts, read 11,092,664 times
One thing I don't like about some areas of the Midwest is the amount of infantile game playing that goes on by supposed mature adults. They carry on like they are still in grade school. I suspect these people lead boring and meaningless lives and have nothing better than to screw around with other people. You don't see this kind of garbage in New England and I don't recall experiencing it while I've been in the South either.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:17 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
One thing I don't like about some areas of the Midwest is the amount of infantile game playing that goes on by supposed mature adults. They carry on like they are still in grade school. I suspect these people lead boring and meaningless lives and have nothing better than to screw around with other people. You don't see this kind of garbage in New England and I don't recall experiencing it while I've been in the South either.
How is this exclusive to the Midwest?

Old 04-08-2010, 07:31 AM

6,344 posts, read 11,092,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
How is this exclusive to the Midwest?
That has been my experience.

Old 04-09-2010, 04:21 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,291,070 times
Quote:
That has been my experience.
You see it because that's what you want to see and are so used to it where you live that you don't notice it.

Old 04-09-2010, 04:31 PM

749 posts, read 2,439,313 times
Quote:
You said a mouthfull there and how true. I've witnessed the very same thing you described frequently in Michigan, especially in the workplace. And they wonder why thier unemployment is the worst in the nation and blame it on the Governor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.