Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2009, 03:18 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
If you're too stupid to neglect birth control or not have any sense of judgement, rhyme or reason, then you are the one who shouldn't be in this world.
That is a fascinating statement. I wonder if, given what we know about evolution, and what many speculate about the will of the creator, if people making such decisions about abortion are not part of the fabric of what one poster on another thread calls "inevitable."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 03:56 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,685,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
That is a fascinating statement. I wonder if, given what we know about evolution, and what many speculate about the will of the creator, if people making such decisions about abortion are not part of the fabric of what one poster on another thread calls "inevitable."
For what it's worth, with over 900,000 documented miscarriages and stillbirths in this country every year, and probably millions more undocumented cases of fertilized eggs simply failing to implant, it's probably a safe bet that the creator is the universe's most enthusiastic abortion provider. Incidentally, I guess if abortions are criminalized as "murder", then every miscarriage should result in a homicide investigation? Actually, one Virginia legislator tried to have a law like that passed.

Old 03-30-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
For what it's worth, with over 900,000 documented miscarriages and stillbirths in this country every year, and probably millions more undocumented cases of fertilized eggs simply failing to implant, it's probably a safe bet that the creator is the universe's most enthusiastic abortion provider. Incidentally, I guess if abortions are criminalized as "murder", then every miscarriage should result in a homicide investigation? Actually, one Virginia legislator tried to have a law like that passed.
That's one way to look at it, though not the one I would choose.

Take it further and think of the number of adult deaths. By that measure, there's a whole lot of blood on the creator's hands. Why, it's a safe bet to say that darned near everyone dies.

Having been born...

Old 03-30-2009, 04:51 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,271,498 times
I think it's entirely incongruous to argue that God's control of life and death or even the processes of nature, if you want to view it that way, is the equivalent of man's taking it into his own hands to deliberately end a life.

Old 03-30-2009, 04:54 PM

73,024 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
I think it's entirely incongruous to argue that God's control of life and death or even the processes of nature, if you want to view it that way, is the equivalent of man's taking it into his own hands to deliberately end a life.
Humans shouldn't control who lives or dies. That is why I am against abortion. It is also the same reason I am against the death penalty, but that's another topic altogether. Just the same, I still feel that abortion is murder.

Old 03-30-2009, 04:55 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Humans shouldn't control who lives or dies. That is why I am against abortion. It is also the same reason I am against the death penalty, but that's another topic altogether. Just the same, I still feel that abortion is murder.
Yes I am against capital punishment as well (though largely for different reasons). Pro-life, anti-death penalty.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:41 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,414,343 times
It seems like a lot people are trying to argue whether abortion is right or wrong, rather than if it should be legalized or not. Its a big mistake a lot of people make when arguing politics. An example I like to use is if we voted on if racist writings should be allowed to be published or not, of course everyone would vote it out immediately, but that doesn't mean thats the just and right decision. Same thing with abortion, people don't look at the big picture of an entire country having to follow these laws, rather they look at a single instance in whether abortion would be right or wrong.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
How about military service involving killing the enemy?

Old 04-01-2009, 09:08 AM

857 posts, read 1,423,159 times
Quote:
are you seriously comparing abortion to war??

Old 04-01-2009, 09:10 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
Quote:
War is necessary in some circumstances. The death penalty is not. Abortion may be in some cases, but it needs to be used only in cases of necessity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates