Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2008, 08:29 AM

582 posts, read 2,039,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasonville View Post
Speaking of "getting it" - why is it that being required to speak Japanese in Japan is okey dokey but being required to speak English in the USA is a problem?
You just don't get that you are speaking as if every single spanish person is an illegal.I happen to know some latinos that speak better english than you do.I'm talking college educated,succesful individuals.So get off the hispanic bashing that you got going on on most of your posts.Your tone seems to be about latinos only.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:38 AM

969 posts, read 2,852,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flburgos View Post
You just don't get that you are speaking as if every single spanish person is an illegal.I happen to know some latinos that speak better english than you do.I'm talking college educated,succesful individuals.So get off the hispanic bashing that you got going on on most of your posts.Your tone seems to be about latinos only.
WHERE did I say ILLEGAL? Where did I say Hispanic? I want people who move to the United States to speak English - I don't care WHERE they are from.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:55 AM

Quote:
WHERE did I say ILLEGAL? Where did I say Hispanic? I want people who move to the United States to speak English - I don't care WHERE they are from.
Then stop talking about just the spanish language and talk about all languages.I have met plenty of illegals that are not mexican and that's seems to be missed on this forum.All i hear is spanish this and spanish that let's open it up to all illegals,

Old 03-27-2008, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Then stop talking about just the spanish language and talk about all languages.I have met plenty of illegals that are not mexican and that's seems to be missed on this forum.All i hear is spanish this and spanish that let's open it up to all illegals,
I didn't start the thread - the thread title is what it is. And ILLEGAL isn't the issue at all. The topic was never about illegals.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:07 AM

Quote:
I didn't start the thread - the thread title is what it is. And ILLEGAL isn't the issue at all. The topic was never about illegals.
The last time i checked this forum was about immigaration not about spanish people or their language.Illegals come from all over the world not just mexico.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:15 AM

Quote:
The last time i checked this forum was about immigaration not about spanish people or their language.Illegals come from all over the world not just mexico.
The thread title is:

English/Spanish Bilingual PREFERRED

This was started by someone who had an issue with an employment want ad stating English/Spanish Bilingual PREFERRED.

It was moved to the immigration section by the powers that be but it was never about illegals - it is about any and all immigrants who come to this country and expect to NOT have to speak English and that accomodations (such as bilingual customer service people) be made so that they can continue to NOT learn to speak English.

Bilingual as a term does not ONLY imply Spanish - it happens that in this thread title it did.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:30 AM

Quote:
The thread title is:

English/Spanish Bilingual PREFERRED

This was started by someone who had an issue with an employment want ad stating English/Spanish Bilingual PREFERRED.

It was moved to the immigration section by the powers that be but it was never about illegals - it is about any and all immigrants who come to this country and expect to NOT have to speak English and that accomodations (such as bilingual customer service people) be made so that they can continue to NOT learn to speak English.

Bilingual as a term does not ONLY imply Spanish - it happens that in this thread title it did.
Look at the whole forum,where does it mention illegals from other countries?nowhere! it's all about the spanish language and mexico only.I believe that it is very unfair because they come from everywhere and they all speak different languages.May the spanish bashing continue!

Old 03-27-2008, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Look at the whole forum,where does it mention illegals from other countries?nowhere! it's all about the spanish language and mexico only.I believe that it is very unfair because they come from everywhere and they all speak different languages.May the spanish bashing continue!
I am looking at THIS thread - if your agenda is illegals aren't all from Mexico then feel free to start another thread.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:23 AM

451 posts, read 310,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
Yes, another problem with the world, it's all about money, not ethics. My point, as if I haven't said it several times already, is that there wouldn't be a need if Spanish speaking people would learn English as immigrants from every other country has to, but for some reason, Spanish speakers don't have to (seems a little racist to me). By companies catering to them, it makes it that much more unnecessary to learn English. It bugs me to no end when I see people in my area who can not even speak enough English to order fast food or conversate with retail workers, and then have the nerve to get upset because there is no one working who speaks Spanish. Happens all the time, every damn day. Does my position make more sense to you now? All I know is I would NEVER move to another country without learning that country's language, and I don't think I'm unreasonable or "hateful" to expect the same.
This is a generalization that bears no resemblance to reality. The fact is that the vast majority of immigrants in the past knew no english at all, ie polish, italians, hungarians, etc.,and just like them the first generation of hispanics
in U.S.speak proper english, more than 90% of hispanics speak proper English,
only the recent immigrants speak mostly spanish.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:25 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,903,258 times
The ignorance is baffling....

Whats the problem with English/Spanish being preferred? If there is a Spanish speaking population then someone with knowledge of both languages is preferrable as they can service more of the population. Basically, someone with knowledge of 2 languages is typically preferable in many employment situations, as they are better educated! So, maybe the OP should better their resume, and learn another language, like many do in many other countries.

As for other countries, have any of you ever been out of the country? How many countries to many speak 2-3 languages? Why so many? Because they border several countries just as the U.S. does with Mexico. Many countries residents speak a combination of German and Dutch, French and German, English and Dutch, etc, etc. Why are the residents of the U.S. so pompous and arrogant, or should I say ignorant?!

And by the way, Mexicans, Equadorians, Brazilians, etc are technically "Americans" too, as they live in North America, Central America and South America. We are not the only "Americans", though the U.S. maybe the most entitled feeling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.