Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2010, 07:37 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
And what I bolded will be their downfall-----------especially in this nasty recession.
Without a doubt.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:18 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,694,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
Let's start from the top: Because they are illegal immigrants, they will be scrutinized, it's the opposite of what you said.

And you are playing semantics. You know the point I was getting at and and you are distorting it.

CAPS LOCKS IS NOT CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL, GIVE IT A BREAK.
Yes, LET's start from the top. What part of ILLEGAL don't you understand? They are here ILLEGALLY, meaning that everything they do is ILLEGAL.

Let me help you out. ILLEGAL, according to Merriam-Webster: Unlawful; CRIMINAL; wrongful

Illegals not only come here already breaking our laws, they think the DESERVE being here illegally. WRONG.

And I'll use CAPS anytime I wish.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:08 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,432,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
To know that, one would have to follow history to the root of the problem. Chicken or egg? Greed or need? There are many theories out there, if you really care to know do the research, otherwise many have posted here from the "need" perspective, however it fails on deaf ears.
Of course there would need to be adjustments made, just like any change.

Those whose say that we need Illegal Immigrants are most likely Lazy and are dependent on them. Those are the ones who would lose out if they left.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:16 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Of course there would need to be adjustments made, just like any change.

Those whose say that we need Illegal Immigrants are most likely Lazy and are dependent on them. Those are the ones who would lose out if they left.
Those who say this will also threaten consumers with the specter of higher prices, if their labor costs were to be forced up.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I thought the topic was "If Illegal Aliens all left today"? Not discussing the prosperity that illegals bring.

Regardless, I think those businesses would find a way to bring them back in legally. But I am one who really believes there are jobs Americans don't do, or at least jobs not many want to do.

Like I said previously, I think you need to explore why this all happened in the first place. Agricultural workers were coming in legally before all of this, and before them the US had slaves doing their work. Your average white Americans were not out picking strawberries. So there was already a shortage of workers. Combine that with slowly over time Americans of all colors have been told they need a college degree and to find a white collar office job, this has become the norm. It would take a large reversal of culture in America to bring citizens back to the days of wanting to be a construction worker or mechanic. Sure many fallback on it, but I seriously doubt many 6 years olds these days are inspired to be on that career track.

So what happens when all of the illegals leave? Not certain, but my guess is that another form of immigrant would fill these jobs, legally. I don't see Americans being paid that much higher to enjoy these jobs. Also take into account Americans now feel entitled to Welfare, Unemployment for 96 weeks...medicare...why would they do these jobs when they can sit at home watching TV eating cheap food.

In the end, I am not sure if there are true benefits to having illegals per se (although I am sure our companies hiring them are benefiting). However, just as we hire Software Engineers from China and India...there is a void of certain sets of skills. Adding in our culture of wanting white collar work, + entitlements of those who are low skilled and you have a large void these illegals fill. This has been corroborated by unemployment not rising during the large influx of illegals,...until the recession of course.

Q&A: Illegal Immigrants and the U.S. Economy : NPR (2006)

That's all for now, Superbowl is on in 15 min . Enjoy.
I've been a Certified Mechanic for almost 40 years.:.

I never had the desire to go White Collar.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:25 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,842,677 times
A lot of non white collar jobs are SKILLED trades - I don't see a whole lot of illegals being allowed into those do you?

Old 02-19-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
A lot of non white collar jobs are SKILLED trades - I don't see a whole lot of illegals being allowed into those do you?
Most Illegals that do auto/engine repair are "backyard mechanics".

Old 02-19-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Things would start to be much more expensive.
If this is so, explain this. Since HB-1804 took effect in 7/07, Oklahoma no longer allows Illegal workers.
Why then, is Ok's cost of living still lower than most other states?

Old 02-19-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Los Angeles Emergency Care Crisis Deepens - NYTimes.com

SNIP:

While the article doesn't come right out and say that the thousands of uninsured are illegal immigrants, if you know the areas of California at all, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out exactly which "uninsured" they're talking about.

BTW, mass deporation is unnecessary. Cut the heads off the hydra and the body will die. No more freebies and jobs, no more illegal aliens. Self deportation through attrition.
Quote:
It so easy, even a caveman could do it

YouTube - GEICO Cavemen Super Bowl Ad

Last edited by mkfarnam; 02-19-2010 at 02:16 PM..

Old 02-19-2010, 02:06 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,694,020 times
Quote:
True, but when I think of drug trafficking I think of them being transient and not really in America to live but to transport goods because they have to go back and fourth not really having a permanent home.
What's the difference between someone being here illegally selling drugs and someone being here illegally and taking advantage of our social systems and jobs?

NO DIFFERENCE AT ALL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration