Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 12:13 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,844,834 times

Advertisements

I'm on my 3rd job in 10 years. I didn't find the process to be that difficult. Of course, many years of experience and a good degree (nursing) have helped.

When I first moved to this region, I used a recruiter and interviewed with 2 companies, both of whom gave me job offers. A year or so later, I used a local recruiter, and actually returned to the company I quit in order to make the move. They finally had an opening in the NorCal office. I stayed there 2-3 years, and have now been at my current company since.

I've done the online job application, the hostile interview, the background tests, the skills testing, but never a job fair. IMO, over the past 20-30 years, job fairs have always been as described by the OP, a place for networking & researching, not interviews or job offers.

Last edited by caligirlz; 07-21-2013 at 12:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 12:57 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
As I said to them, with my experience in retail and getting a customer service degree I should not "fail" a retail assessment (and yes I did just strongly agree/disagree except one in that portion.)
Is this a joke?
If you actually got a degree in "customer service" you should how much companies value looks.
Anybody that looks better than you will get the job before you.

Old 07-21-2013, 04:08 AM

2,801 posts, read 2,310,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
It's always money left at the end of the month since I have credit cards
Under what accounting scheme is that possible?

I guess you don't follow the always pay Credit Cards in full every month theory.

Didn't your old job involve financial counseling?

Old 07-21-2013, 04:19 AM

2,801 posts, read 2,310,206 times
Quote:
It's about the job requirements. For entry level jobs you don't only need to know how to box but have beaten everyone but Forman, Ali and Frazier. Or in a more modern sense, you know MMA are in UFC and beat everyone but yet to face the GSP and (Anderson) Silvas of the world. You see entry level jobs asking for X years of experience with the degree which is hard to get without the other.
When I was out job searching I liked to make the joke "companies want a twenty-something with twenty years of directly related job experience" which really isn't the case but if you have had five jobs in five or six years OR more than a year gap in employment without a reasonable explanation ... it will be very difficult for you to find a job.

I was told I wasn't "qualified" because my degree is in the wrong subject even though I had many years experience doing the SAME thing as the open position.

I have been very fortunate in my job searches through the years though.

Old 07-21-2013, 04:32 AM

990 posts, read 2,303,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
I'm on my 3rd job in 10 years. I didn't find the process to be that difficult. Of course, many years of experience and a good degree (nursing) have helped.

When I first moved to this region, I used a recruiter and interviewed with 2 companies, both of whom gave me job offers. A year or so later, I used a local recruiter, and actually returned to the company I quit in order to make the move. They finally had an opening in the NorCal office. I stayed there 2-3 years, and have now been at my current company since.

I've done the online job application, the hostile interview, the background tests, the skills testing, but never a job fair. IMO, over the past 20-30 years, job fairs have always been as described by the OP, a place for networking & researching, not interviews or job offers.
you're a nurse. Probably the easiest field to get a job in right now.

Old 07-21-2013, 07:33 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
people offer outdated advice mostly for one or both of these reasons:

1. that's the way it was (or at least that's the way it was perceived to be, depending on what you're talking about) for a long time
2. they haven't had the experience of job searching in this economy

there are a few other possible explanations such as "they're dumb", "they're not paying attention", "they had good luck and base their opinions on their own experience and nothing else", etc.
Maybe they believe that you need to do everything possible to find a job because without one, that is what it is going to take. I mean, if there is the slightest chance going to a job fair will get you a job in the end, why not? With smaller companies, there is a chance that someone will remember you stopped by to see them at the job fair and know you are out looking.

Personal contact can make a difference so I would surely try to make that happen. You need something to stand out. In KS, job fairs are making a comeback. It gives people a chance to become familiar with the companies that go.

Also, although most take online applications, it doesn't mean that you can't stop by the company and make contact with someone that might remember you were looking.

I have talked to people who were willing to take any advice on what they could do to increase their chances of getting a job but then, they really wanted a job.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:16 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
It's about the job requirements. For entry level jobs you don't only need to know how to box but have beaten everyone but Forman, Ali and Frazier. Or in a more modern sense, you know MMA are in UFC and beat everyone but yet to face the GSP and (Anderson) Silvas of the world. You see entry level jobs asking for X years of experience with the degree which is hard to get without the other.

But if someone who just graduated college in may of 2013 after doing internships, typing papers, and taking several classes, why would they not think they can't get a better job than a cashier at KFC or greeter at Walmart?

Especially if they live in philly, nyc, chicago, boston or LA

Old 07-21-2013, 10:18 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
Under what accounting scheme is that possible?

I guess you don't follow the always pay Credit Cards in full every month theory.

Didn't your old job involve financial counseling?
If I have the option to eat off credit every so often tell me why I wouldn't have money left over at the end of the month?

Old 07-21-2013, 10:21 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
When I was out job searching I liked to make the joke "companies want a twenty-something with twenty years of directly related job experience" which really isn't the case but if you have had five jobs in five or six years OR more than a year gap in employment without a reasonable explanation ... it will be very difficult for you to find a job.

I was told I wasn't "qualified" because my degree is in the wrong subject even though I had many years experience doing the SAME thing as the open position.

I have been very fortunate in my job searches through the years though.

Well some jobs often post that you are required to have a certain amount of years experience OR degree in a certain field which is why I find it odd you were rejected

Old 07-21-2013, 10:24 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
But if someone who just graduated college in may of 2013 after doing internships, typing papers, and taking several classes, why would they not think they can't get a better job than a cashier at KFC or greeter at Walmart?

Especially if they live in philly, nyc, chicago, boston or LA
The competition. Andywire has used a musical chairs analogy before and I feel it is a good one. There are a LOT of people looking for jobs, however only a few companies with open spots for jobs. So when these positions go, you are stuck with whatever is left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search