U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-19-2012, 04:20 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,758 posts, read 9,499,703 times
Reputation: 2791

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shindig View Post

And yes, I believe he was living here in 2007 when KU and MU were ranked #2 and #3 and it was a nationally televised game...my friends in NYC, who all went to KU, watched it.
Yeah, I was remembering that I have friends in both Virginia and NYC that went to KU and they saw the game because my friend in Virginia called me afterward and I saw my friends in NYC post about it.

 
Old 01-19-2012, 04:27 PM
 
Location: Washington, DC area
10,707 posts, read 18,536,846 times
Reputation: 5420
Quote:
Originally Posted by shindig View Post
Because kcmo hates everything KU and more specifically KANSAS...he can't stand it when he sees someone wearing a KU hat at a Royals game (it reminds him of KANSAS)....he's mentioned that many times on this forum and KCRag. He'll say how much he likes Lawrence, but then go on and mention how stupid people look when they have a KU hat or sweatshirt on. But I believe he honestly thinks he has never seen a MU fan wearing an MU hat or sweatshirt, it's all us poor Kansans that are from rural towns that don't know how to dress. Maybe it's because there are 4x as many KU alums in the metro as there are MU alums

And yes, I believe he was living here in 2007 when KU and MU were ranked #2 and #3 and it was a nationally televised game...my friends in NYC, who all went to KU, watched it.
ku gear at royals games is lame, yes, said that many times . KU people at royals games in other cities is ever more retarded. MU gear at royals games is equally lame btw. I can understand a few casual college fans making it out to a baseball game and wearing their college gear, but in KC, people that live in the metro and probably go to many games a year get dressed to go to a royals game in college gear. Looks dumb. You like it, I think it's stupid. End of that.

Since you know me so well, you probably know kcdcchef from kcrag? We went to the royals games in DC a couple of years ago and he was actually heckling the ku fans that apparently don't own any royals gear, at least I don't do that!

So maybe it wasn't the year they were ranked high, but I'm pretty sure I know where I was when we were trying to watch the game. Guess that explains why they didn't carry it? The last three years I know they didn't carry it out here. If I was living in KC, I probably would have been able to get the game . I like watching those games just to see arrowhead and kc in the national spotlight more than the game itself, so I will record them. But there was nothing to record.

So again, I'm not a big college sports fan. But that was a game we wanted to watch and we never can get it.

I am however a huge Royals fan and will be in LA for the opening series. We will all be wearing our ROYALS jerseys and will tell people we are not from kansas when they ask about toto or dororthy. We are from Kansas City, MO, always will be from Kansas City, MO. Not Kansas, but Kansas City, MO.

You can call that hating Kansas. I doubt people from the urban core of cincy are fond of being from Kentucky or those from NYC are fond of being from Jersey or those from St Louis City are fond of being from Illinois etc etc. I'm not from kansas, my kids are not from kansas. Being from kansas and kansas city, mo are two very different things. Here in DC, people that live in the district don't like it when people assume they are from VA or MD (although they do seem to at least respect each other, unlike joco/kcmo). Same deal with me and my wife and kids. We are from Kansas City, MO. I grew up in an urban, rather large city in Missouri, not some rural area or even suburb in Kansas. I don't hate Kansas, I just like KCMO and you know I don't like how Kansas interacts with KCMO so liking KCMO often makes me dislike Kansas.

So anyway, bring a big game to Arrowhead, if KU doesn't want to play, I hope the SEC brings something to KC. It's good for KC.

Last edited by kcmo; 01-19-2012 at 04:52 PM..
 
Old 01-19-2012, 07:03 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
481 posts, read 581,355 times
Reputation: 360
There is absolutely NO benefit to the University of KANSAS to play MU in Missouri, when MU is no longer in the Big 12. The businesses and residents in Lawrence and the University of KANSAS lose out. Also, remember with only 10 teams in the Big 12, KU plays 9 conference games, with some seasons only playing 4 conference games at home in Lawrence. The other 3 non-conference games must be in Lawrence to keep the merchants happy. Why would KU schedule a game in Missouri and lose out on hotel and restaurant revenue? To keep MU happy? To keep Kansas City happy? Sorry, but KU is not a charity institution and they are only looking out for their best interests, just like MU is by leaving for the SEC (or so they claim).

And btw, hasn't kcdchef been banned for life from KCrag? He was the biggest loser on that forum and I don't think most mind he is gone...actually I think he's the same guy that was Mikey?

Also, I live in Waldo, so I'm a Missouri resident, but I cross back and forth between KS and MO all the time and never think any different. Granted I would like to see the metro area work better on bi-state issues, but it is what it is.
 
Old 01-19-2012, 08:24 PM
 
Location: Washington, DC area
10,707 posts, read 18,536,846 times
Reputation: 5420
Quote:
Originally Posted by shindig View Post
There is absolutely NO benefit to the University of KANSAS to play MU in Missouri, when MU is no longer in the Big 12. The businesses and residents in Lawrence and the University of KANSAS lose out. Also, remember with only 10 teams in the Big 12, KU plays 9 conference games, with some seasons only playing 4 conference games at home in Lawrence. The other 3 non-conference games must be in Lawrence to keep the merchants happy. Why would KU schedule a game in Missouri and lose out on hotel and restaurant revenue? To keep MU happy? To keep Kansas City happy? Sorry, but KU is not a charity institution and they are only looking out for their best interests, just like MU is by leaving for the SEC (or so they claim).
Okay, that makes sense. Again, donít know the economics of college sports or how things work. So it sounds like KU isnít out of line at all in how they are reacting to MU. If there was a contract, and MU broke a contract, is there no penalty for that? Why have a contract if you can easily get out of it? I just want to see kc continue to host big college games and in those games people should show up in college gear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shindig View Post
And btw, hasn't kcdchef been banned for life from KCrag? He was the biggest loser on that forum and I don't think most mind he is gone...actually I think he's the same guy that was Mikey? .
Well, despite his online character and yes, I know he is even more anti kansas than me, he is really a great person if you knew him personally. We are pretty good friends now and we hook up in DC or Pittsburgh. We were just in Pittsburgh to see his gingerbread display that he puts on just for fun at his own expense just so he can help kids and families enjoy the holidays in the city. He has no interest in coming back to kcrag or he would have by now. Just saying you donít know the guy. Like me, he lived in urban kcmo when most of the active members of kcrag were out in bfe and in the burbs so his personally clashed with the new kids on the block that often act like they know everything. Nothing against them, but kcrag is pretty clickish and that doesn't work well with him. BTW, it was me and kcpowercat the started that forum .

Quote:
Originally Posted by shindig View Post
Also, I live in Waldo, so I'm a Missouri resident, but I cross back and forth between KS and MO all the time and never think any different. Granted I would like to see the metro area work better on bi-state issues, but it is what it is.
Great. Raised my kids in waldo and loved every minute of it. We spent more time on the KS side than the MO side when we lived in Waldo. I had no issues with crossing back and forth either. I hated working on the KS side, but we enjoyed the retail, restaurant and recreational options on the KS side quite a bit and the people were generally nice even if they were often very intimidated by anything kcmo. But that doesnít stop me from stepping back, looking at the big picture in metro KC and wishing things were a lot different.

I have always been one of the most diehard pro kcmo people in kc and with that comes some resentment toward Kansas and Kansans at times because of the way KC is. People take that personally when they shouldnít. The bottom line is that if you are really into your city the way I was into kc, then much of what kansas does and what kansas residents say and do comes across as aggression rather than just another part of KC. Most people donít see it that way. After leaving KC, I see it now more than ever. People in kc think it's normal to have so much friction and disrespect within a metro. Itís gotten a little better (well not the corporate community), but KCís kansas suburbs still have this aggression and general disrespect toward the city and the MO side in general that I have not seen in another city except maybe Detroit. KCMO deserves better.

Last edited by kcmo; 01-19-2012 at 08:33 PM..
 
Old 01-19-2012, 11:15 PM
 
400 posts, read 844,598 times
Reputation: 390
Wow, you actually started this thread? You are way out of your league talking about this.

KU is not "stepping away and not playing games in KC". KU basketball will continue to play at the Sprint Center, and the football team will still be able to play at Arrowhead. They just won't be playing Missouri.

Missouri leaving the Big 12 did not "rip the carpet out from under KU taking away their home away from home venues". Missouri not being a part of the Big 12 has no bearing on KU or MU being able to play at the Sprint Center or Arrowhead.

What Missouri leaving the Big 12 DOES DO is create difficulty for the city of Kansas City, Missouri to be able to keep the Big 12 men's basketball tournament. KU will still be able to play games in Missouri regardless of whether there is a Big 12 school in Missouri. But the BIG 12 CONFERENCE will be less likely to HOST A TOURNAMENT in Missouri if THE CONFERENCE doesn't have a school in Missouri. And that is 100% the fault of the University of Missouri for putting the Big 12 conference in that position and risking the economic fallout to the city of Kansas City from not being able to host what is probably the premier annual sports event at the Sprint Center.

KU WILL lobby the Big 12 to keep the men's basketball tournament at the Sprint Center. It's Missouri leaving the conference that caused the problem. KU wants the tournament at the Sprint Center.

I don't care if KU ever plays MU ever again in anything. Like RjRobb said earlier, West Virginia is a good replacement for Missouri from a Kansas perspective. The only problem with WV is the travel distance. I never liked the vitriol in the KU-MU rivalry anyway. MU thinks they are better than they really are. Their basketball program has never been to a Final Four and their football program has never won a national championship, yet they act like they have. KU's Orange Bowl win in 2008 is as good as any accomplishment that the MU football program has ever had, yet MU acts like their football program is head and shoulders above KU. KU's basketball program has like 13 Final Fours, yet MU basketball acts like it's competitive with KU even though MU basketball has zero Final Fours.

I think it was a horrible thing for the state of Missouri and especially for Kansas City to be part of the Southeastern Conference. The SEC is mostly former slave states, which I know Missouri was as well, but not like Alabama, Mississippi, South Carolina, and the others. Kansas City is a Midwestern city, not a Southern city. Saint Louis, too. It really doesn't bother me too much because I'm not a Missouri person. But if I was a KCMO person who was an MU fan, I would not feel comfortable at all with my school being in the SEC, going to places like Alabama and Mississippi rather than places like Ames and Manhattan.

That's why I said in one of these threads earlier when this came up that Missouri going to the SEC will only make KC more of a KU town. Because KC people are not going to be comfortable with the Southern culture of the SEC, so they will follow KU more since KU will be playing regional schools like Iowa State and K-State.
 
Old 01-20-2012, 12:51 AM
 
Location: Washington, DC area
10,707 posts, read 18,536,846 times
Reputation: 5420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Earth View Post
Wow, you actually started this thread? You are way out of your league talking about this.

KU is not "stepping away and not playing games in KC". KU basketball will continue to play at the Sprint Center, and the football team will still be able to play at Arrowhead. They just won't be playing Missouri.

Missouri leaving the Big 12 did not "rip the carpet out from under KU taking away their home away from home venues". Missouri not being a part of the Big 12 has no bearing on KU or MU being able to play at the Sprint Center or Arrowhead.

What Missouri leaving the Big 12 DOES DO is create difficulty for the city of Kansas City, Missouri to be able to keep the Big 12 men's basketball tournament. KU will still be able to play games in Missouri regardless of whether there is a Big 12 school in Missouri. But the BIG 12 CONFERENCE will be less likely to HOST A TOURNAMENT in Missouri if THE CONFERENCE doesn't have a school in Missouri. And that is 100% the fault of the University of Missouri for putting the Big 12 conference in that position and risking the economic fallout to the city of Kansas City from not being able to host what is probably the premier annual sports event at the Sprint Center.

KU WILL lobby the Big 12 to keep the men's basketball tournament at the Sprint Center. It's Missouri leaving the conference that caused the problem. KU wants the tournament at the Sprint Center.

I don't care if KU ever plays MU ever again in anything. Like RjRobb said earlier, West Virginia is a good replacement for Missouri from a Kansas perspective. The only problem with WV is the travel distance. I never liked the vitriol in the KU-MU rivalry anyway. MU thinks they are better than they really are. Their basketball program has never been to a Final Four and their football program has never won a national championship, yet they act like they have. KU's Orange Bowl win in 2008 is as good as any accomplishment that the MU football program has ever had, yet MU acts like their football program is head and shoulders above KU. KU's basketball program has like 13 Final Fours, yet MU basketball acts like it's competitive with KU even though MU basketball has zero Final Fours.

I think it was a horrible thing for the state of Missouri and especially for Kansas City to be part of the Southeastern Conference. The SEC is mostly former slave states, which I know Missouri was as well, but not like Alabama, Mississippi, South Carolina, and the others. Kansas City is a Midwestern city, not a Southern city. Saint Louis, too. It really doesn't bother me too much because I'm not a Missouri person. But if I was a KCMO person who was an MU fan, I would not feel comfortable at all with my school being in the SEC, going to places like Alabama and Mississippi rather than places like Ames and Manhattan.

That's why I said in one of these threads earlier when this came up that Missouri going to the SEC will only make KC more of a KU town. Because KC people are not going to be comfortable with the Southern culture of the SEC, so they will follow KU more since KU will be playing regional schools like Iowa State and K-State.
Can't disagree with most of this, but do you really think the "southern culture" of the SEC schools is a big issue? Can't Missouri maintain its own identity and culture? Was Mizzou any more of a fit with the big12? They seemed sort of out of place with the big 12 at times.

KC is already a KU town. Not sure how much more KU the KC area can get. Lawrence is part of the KC region, Columbia isn't.

So I guess it's not a big deal that KU and MU don't play any more...
 
Old 01-20-2012, 11:34 AM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,758 posts, read 9,499,703 times
Reputation: 2791
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
ku gear at royals games is lame, yes, said that many times . KU people at royals games in other cities is ever more retarded. MU gear at royals games is equally lame btw. I can understand a few casual college fans making it out to a baseball game and wearing their college gear, but in KC, people that live in the metro and probably go to many games a year get dressed to go to a royals game in college gear. Looks dumb. You like it, I think it's stupid. End of that.
You realize that people that do that probably are dressing to go to a Royal's game but just got up and got dressed that day and happen to put on a KU shirt? It's not like they are purposely dressing in KU gear for the Royals game.



Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
So maybe it wasn't the year they were ranked high, but I'm pretty sure I know where I was when we were trying to watch the game. Guess that explains why they didn't carry it? The last three years I know they didn't carry it out here. If I was living in KC, I probably would have been able to get the game . I like watching those games just to see arrowhead and kc in the national spotlight more than the game itself, so I will record them. But there was nothing to record.
Other than 2007 when they were ranked that high, you should have not expectation to be able to see the game since every game since then between the two has had no national relevance and is always at the last week of the regular season. Why would they show a KU team with a losing record against a mid-level MU team in Washington DC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
So again, I'm not a big college sports fan. But that was a game we wanted to watch and we never can get it.
Being that MU and KU have always played on Thanksgiving weekend and it is the finaly weekend of the regular season, it is not going to be broadcast nationally unless it has a national impact and it hasnt since 2007. You probably could have seen it if you purchased the Fox Sports package with your cable provider or gone to a bar.



Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
You can call that hating Kansas.
That's not why people think you hate Kansas. It is basically everything else you do such as the title of this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
So anyway, bring a big game to Arrowhead, if KU doesn't want to play, I hope the SEC brings something to KC. It's good for KC.
I would be surprised if that happens. SEC is very much a Southern conference and bringing a major event this far north would be shocking.
 
Old 01-20-2012, 11:37 AM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,758 posts, read 9,499,703 times
Reputation: 2791
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Can't disagree with most of this, but do you really think the "southern culture" of the SEC schools is a big issue? Can't Missouri maintain its own identity and culture? Was Mizzou any more of a fit with the big12? They seemed sort of out of place with the big 12 at times.
You want to know the main reason MU was chosen over West Virginia even though West Virginia was a better fit over MU in every single way imaginable except for one?

MU was a confederate state and WV was not. That is the only reason MU is in the SEC now. WV has the better football program, bigger budget, closer geographically and is just an overall fit but they are not accepted because they are a northern state.
 
Old 01-20-2012, 11:52 AM
 
Location: Tower Grove East, St. Louis, MO
12,064 posts, read 27,246,238 times
Reputation: 3739
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
You want to know the main reason MU was chosen over West Virginia even though West Virginia was a better fit over MU in every single way imaginable except for one?

MU was a confederate state and WV was not. That is the only reason MU is in the SEC now. WV has the better football program, bigger budget, closer geographically and is just an overall fit but they are not accepted because they are a northern state.
I'm pretty sure that's epic nonsense on your part, but if you'd like to post a link, feel free.
 
Old 01-20-2012, 12:04 PM
 
Location: Washington, DC area
10,707 posts, read 18,536,846 times
Reputation: 5420
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
You want to know the main reason MU was chosen over West Virginia even though West Virginia was a better fit over MU in every single way imaginable except for one?

MU was a confederate state and WV was not. That is the only reason MU is in the SEC now. WV has the better football program, bigger budget, closer geographically and is just an overall fit but they are not accepted because they are a northern state.
Really? Are you Serious? The civil war crap that ku fans constantly bring up is over the top. It's like the only thing they seem to have to put down Missouri (that and the meth crap which is also BS).

Have you been to WV??? I don't care if it was a "northern" state or not, in reality, it's one of the....(nevermind, I'm not even going there).

And KS?? It was a free state sure, but good god, look at the place? It's one of the most racially segregated states in the country especially in the KC area and has some pretty intense racial anti black history, especially johnson county. Do you really want to go there again?

Look, I was just asking why KU was acting like a baby in all of this and why the fans of KU seem to be pretty much pissed at MU for leaving. I don't understand all the economics and politics of college sports and I think people have generally tried to explain the issue and I'm good with most of the reasons.

But come on with the MU was chosen to join the SEC over WV because they were a confederate state. That's just hilarious. I guess you could be right and if so, wow, this country has not come very far has it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top